Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
The Problem List (So Far)

Touched base with my sister. Here is the preliminary list of problems:

1. driver side mirror control no longer working
2. turn signals not working except when pounding on dash
3. exhaust pipe snapped and is welded together
4. passenger floor gets wet when rains
5. brakes are bad
6. heat/cold work only on high settings.
7. security light on. Only starts with key override

So a slew of body and electrical work to start. If the wife allows, I think I will take it back from her and make it a project car to learn on with the kids. Oh yeah, I have had three kids since I've been back on. 4th kid on the way too. My seed is strong.

So recommendations and guidance and where to start with this mess?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't #2 a bad solder joint on the hazard button?

How is #3 a problem? It sounds like it was fixed.

#4 look for a clog at the HVAC intake.

#5 is remedied easily enough.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
#1 Could be a bad connection in the switch. I would try checking and cleaning that first to see if that does the trick. If not you may need a new switch.
#2 Is a pretty common issue from what I've seen with these cars. If you replace the hazard switch in the dash that should fix the problem with the turn signals not working.
#4 There is probably a leak somewhere allowing the water to get in when it rains. You would just have to determine where exactly it was coming from to try and fix it.
#5 Is an easy enough fix. Probably time for new pads and rotors depending on the shape the current ones are in.
#6 Is either the blower motor itself or the blower motor resistor. I had that happen on my Intrigue back when I had it and it turned out to be the resistor. Once I replaced that I got all of my fan speeds back.
#7 I believe has something to do with the ignition itself if I remember correctly. So you would probably be looking at replacing that to take care of the security passlock issue. Mine had the same problem and I just lived with it. Every once in a while it wouldn't start, but if I let it sit there for the 10 minutes and reset it would work fine after that.

Hope this helps some.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Bad buttons, had it on two of them. Could be the motor in the mirror, check voltages.
There was a recall or bulletin for bad hazard switches. Red car had that when I got it, hazard switch fixed it. common
hot/cold as in just the blower or the acutall temperature coming out? if its just the blower its a bad blower motor resistor. Its real fun to replace with your back on the passenger floor board for a while. Do not replace with an expensive GM, it will fail. Common problem, fixed for good with an aftermarket blower resistor if thats the case.
passlock/bcm issue? sounds like computer trouble... hard to say
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Picked up the car from my sister. Transmission and engine still running fantastic at 180,000 miles. Drove it from Pittsburgh, PA to Ashtabula, OH without any issue. She let the car sit for about 3 months prior so battery was dead as shit. Alternator works great because it charged back up quick enough to not need jumped again after that.

Both rear view mirrors will need replaced as they have gotten busted up in the city.

Interior needs a DEEP cleaning.

I didn't notice any issues with the turn signals when using them.

Security is stuck on. None of the resets I have seen work. Ignition replacement likely as mentioned above.

Brakes do need replacing. Rusted and rubbing audibly.

Currently in shop with aftermarket headers and welded exhaust being put back to stock. Header gasket missing, bad exhaust leak coming into the cabin. Give you a headache if you don't drive with the windows open bad.

Heat and fans work well. It is turn dial heat/cold and pre-digital so no surprise it doesn't have a large range. However, did not seem to have any AC. Probably needs a recharge if it is not straight up leaking.

I'll ask the shop, but if not, have to get under it to inspect floor integrity. If sound, will do the hose shower test to find leaks. The passenger floor gets wet, the passenger rear mirror is busted off partly. Wonder if it is possible leak source.

The driver side door. When you pull the handle to open, it is supposed to shut off interior components like the radio. This is not happening. Bad connection somewhere. Have to repeatedly open and close to get to finally work.

Multiple rust spots. Time to look body and paint correction.

When I get it back: oil change to synthetic; seafoam intake, oil and gas, throttle body clean, MAF sensor clean, radiator flush, transmission fluid change to be done by me. Rest will come in time. It's a learning/project car now but the care I gave it shows regarding the bones.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:46 AM   #6
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Forgot to add that I will need to restore the headlights or get new assemblies. Pretty foggy.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The list doesn’t sound too bad

Fix and ride!

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
#1 shouldn't be too bad, since you really don't even have to fix it. I've taken apart these mirrors before, to replace the black plastic mount piece (I did not want to replace the whole mirror, since I did not want to have something painted). The pictures that I took are posted here somewhere.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote