Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
How To: Install New Leather/Cloth Interior

Removing the seats:

Step One: Remove each headrest by pressing in on each tab on the base and pulling up until they pop out.

Step Two: Remove the two T-50 bolts on the rear of each bucket seat rail on the floor.

Step Three: Tilt your seat back as far as it goes. Lift up from the rear as high as you can and pull up and towards the rear of the car until the teeth on the front of the seat tracks slide out of the floor and the seat comes free from the car.

Step Four: Grab the rear bench seat on the front side where the center and side seat meet. Pull up until the seat snaps free. There are two clamps holding down the seat.

Step Five: Fold down your split seats. Where the 60/40 split meets there is a hinge on the bottom of the seat. Push the top of the clamp towards the front of the car to open it and pull up and forward to slide the side peg nearest each side of the seat out.

Step Six: Remove the 13MM bolt on the bottom of each side bolster. Slide the bolsters up after the bolts are removed to remove the top T shaped pin out of its track.

Now your seats are ALL completely out of the car. For the love of god please vacuum under all of the seats and shampoo your carpets!

Removal of old material:

Step One: Pull the clip holding the seat back adjustment handle off with a flat headed screwdriver and pull the handle off.

Step Two: If you have Lumbar control Pry at the base of the handle and pull the plastic handle off.

Step Three: Pry off the plastic bezel around the power seat switch and it just unclips.

Step Four: Turn your seat over. On the bottom of the seat back cushion, you will see a seam. Stick a small flat headed screwdriver in the middle of the black plastic pieces and pry and twist until it snaps free.

Step Five: Reach into the bottom of the seam near each hinge and find two carpeted pieces of fabric holding onto the seat frame by a peg. Stick your finger in and pop the material off the peg.

Step Six: Grab the cover material by each side of the seat and pull straight up allowing the material to roll inside out and up. As you pull up the material is velcroed onto the seat padding. Just pull gently and it will come free. Now you're looking at just the foam pad.

Step Seven: Pry the plastic clamps that are over the bottom of the seat frame loose to release the bottom fabric. Pull the fabric up and around the sides of the bottom seat cushion from the front and pull the material off of the velcro holding it to the seams.

Step Eight: If you don't plan to keep your old material, just cut it to release it from around the hinges. If you do want to keep the material. Remove the two 13MM bolts on each side of the seatback frame and slide the material up over it.

Step Nine: The headrests and the rear seatback bolsters do not need to have the material removed. The new covers will go over the old on these pieces.

Step Ten: Flip the rear seat bottom cushion over. Undo the twine holding the fabric to the seats. Pull around the entire perimeter of the seat to loosen the drawstring. Roll the material inside out and pull the fabric off of the velcro. Now the seat cushion is naked.

Step Eleven: Take each part of the split seat back and put it face down. The grey carpet it stapled down. Undo the velcro at the seam and pull the carpet from the staples. Roll the material inside out and up to remove from the seat backs.

Now all of your seats are naked foam.

Install New material:

I recommend buying a Katzkin kit. These are extremely easy to install and they look just like the OEM covers only softer. If you order from Katzkin you cab probably get a set to self install for $600-$700. I got mine on ebay for $300 so you can always keep an eye out there.

No kits come pre cut for your seat controls and headrests so you will have to do that yourself during the installation process.

Step One: Slide the new covers around each of the rear seat bolsters and headrests. Line up the stitching with the seat shape and zip up the material at the zippered seam. The headrest covers also have plastic clips at each end like you encountered on the front seat backs. Roll em inside each other until they snap together.

Step Two: Turn your Katzkin fabric inside out and roll from the top of the 60/40 seat back headrests down. Make sure you line up the velcro strips and rub it down to keep the seams pulled tight as you go. Cut a small slit on each side of the bottom of the material to screw your hinge bolts into. I recommend a small puncture with a screwdriver and then screw in.Zip the material up at the bottom once you have made all of your adjustments and tuck in the extra zipper track into the seams to hide them.

Step Three: Put the rear cushion into the new material. Roll the material into the velcro seams. Your fabric will be loose at the bottom. You can leave it this way, or for a neater look you can attach it with carpet tape.

Your back seat is done! Reverse the removal process to re install.

Step Four: On your bucket seats, Start with the seat back. Flip your new material inside out and roll downward from each side with your hands inside the material. Line up the velcro strips as you go. Be careful, if you don't your lines will be off and you will have to redo it which is annoying. Once your velcro seams are aligned properly, zip up the bottom seam and tuck the extra zipper track into the seam to hide it.

Step Five: Lay the material onto the bottom cushion and push the seams into the velcro. Roll the material around the seat cushion and attach the the clamps by pushing them onto the seat frame where the old material was secured. If you have trouble getting it started, separate the clamp with a flat headed screwdriver.

Step Six: Cut holes for the seat back adjustment, lumbar control and power seat control. Attach knobs and handles, zip up the seams and tuck the extra zipper tracks into the seams. (When attaching the seat back adjuster put the C clip onto the handle all the way. Then tap the handle onto the adjustment gear until it snaps into place.

Step Seven: Don't install your headrests until after you have gotten the seat bolted back into the car. It makes life easier. Just reverse the removal process. When you cut the holes for the headrests, cut a small X shape about half the size of the plastic grommet. Push the leather over one side of the grommet and then tuck around the other half for a tight fit.

Now you're done! Sit down and enjoy the new tightly supportive seats you've been missing.

fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Oh my god... my eyes! I thought you were going to tell us how to swap grain by grain of leather with how big these pics are.

Thanks for the write up

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
fisdad

Lol... yeah, I'm not sure how to make the picture links more reasonable through photobucket yet.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
lol, I thought I was looking at whale pron.

The leather on my drivers seat is torn. im planning on getting cheap racing seats one day. electrical tape will do for now tho

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubbz View Post
lol, I thought I was looking at whale pron.

The leather on my drivers seat is torn. im planning on getting cheap racing seats one day. electrical tape will do for now tho

I saved my original covers to try to sell. I have tan leather but my originals aren't to bad at all.