Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
lemonowner
GX Member

lemonowner is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2001 stopping while driving

My 2001 Alero is dying when I'm driving. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I"m going. It's stopped anywhere from while I was at a stop light up to when I was going 60mph, it's just turns off. I've taken it to a trusted mechanic and an electrician, they are both stumped. They've tried putting on different parts just to check and see if it will work but it always stops, they think it's not mechanical as in needing new parts, has to be something electrical. I'm really at my wits end with this stupid car. The car always starts right back up after it's shut down, has not shown signs of overheating, etc.... It has a recently new fuel pump and gas pressure regulator. None of those are the problem. It also has not given me any warning before it's about to die, no jerking, shaking, or anything else, it will just turn off. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Becky
lemonowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
JOEY GLADSTONE
GX Member

JOEY GLADSTONE is on a distinguished road
its your ignition cylinder, get that replaced and you'll be good to go
JOEY GLADSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
Cylinder general don't have that effect, might be your ignition switch. The electircal switch right behind your cylinder.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
lemonowner
GX Member

I'm sorry, I really don't know alot about cars. Ok, the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch are two separate things? Would it be apparent that they are out by looking at them?

Last edited by lemonowner : 05-03-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
super white alero1
Trying to get it together

super white alero1 is on a distinguished road
No, you won't really see failure in the switch without testing the switch directly. The cylinder usually associate with a key sticking.

I just notice that you said the engine dies during a sop. This leads me to think it either a short in the brake switch ground to ignition circuit or a BCM short with ECM.

Last edited by super white alero1 : 05-03-2008 at 02:31 PM.
super white alero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Just get the Ign. switch and cylinder looked at and tested, then move to the next thing.

Somebody is gonna say something brilliant and cause you to skip over the basics.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
lemonowner
GX Member

Talking

Thanks for the advise on this stuff. the mechanic changed the ignition cylinder and it is working perfectly and no more shutting off while driving.

Apprecitate the help.

Becky
Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
First welcome to the site! Secondly are you calling your alero a lemon.....cause you maybe right, and third nice to no what to look for when something like this happens. A problem, A solution, Problem solved. Chalk another happy customer up to Aleromod.com!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Lemon ehh BLASPHEMY I TELL YOU!!!! :<)....Better be careful or your rides gonna hear that and leave you stranded some where out of spite LOL.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I bet that's the last we see of her. Probably just got on these boards to find the solution.

I'm glad we could be of help though. Good luck.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
I bet that's the last we see of her. Probably just got on these boards to find the solution.

I'm glad we could be of help though. Good luck.

10 days later.. and nothing, guess you were right.
Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote