Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
Transmission growling similiar to hub

I have replaced the front hub on the side I have the famous growling hub noise from my alero 2001 2.4 5 speed. Now I go to test it and for once it stayed there! So I drive hanging my head out the window and have a friend hang his out the window and also drive by him standing on the road. We are positive its still coming from that area. The car has 145,000 KM on it and I can not drive it with the noise as loud as it is now. Is it common for the driveshaft bearing in the tranny to go in these? Is it a do it yourselfer job?
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
undersc0re
GX Member

I have checked the tranny fluid and it is good. Is it possible the driveshaft could make this noise as well? The noise is totally speed related, and gets worse if I swerve the car a bit to put pressure on the driver side suspension....which initially led me to change the hub assembly/wheel bearing. So the swerve thing leads me to either an axle shaft or maybe the bearing if there is one right at the point the axle enters the tranny. Now I don't know how this works but is the driveshaft assemble bolted to the tranny and the bearing right there (in the driveshaft) or actually part of the tranny? I have never dealt with a driveshaft before grinding/howling like a jet plane during takeoff, I have heard of them clicking then giving way....I don't see anything online about driveshafts or the bearing at the tranny going bad on these aleros. Any help would be great! Thx.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Struts, strut bearings, broken spring?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
undersc0re
GX Member

No, it happens as if I speed up and gets worse as I go fast, totally like a bad wheel bearing which I had a couple times before, except this time its something else because I put a new one there unless I put a new bad one in but it sounds exactly the same as before I changed it and it progressively gets worse and now I really shouldn't be driving it. I was kinda wondering whether or not a cv joint driveshaft can make that noise and then change when I do a quick swerve to put pressure on that side, seems to get growly and louder when the weight hits that side hard.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
undersc0re
GX Member

I guess it turns out that sitting in the drivers side I assumed it was the drivers side bearing as I just changed the passenger one 75,000 km ago. It was the passenger side again! I jacked it up and spun the wheel and it make some noise so I changed it and voila! Good2Go now. Totally seemed like it was the drivers side the way I put preesure on it and the sound it made etc... but it wasn't. Last time it made more noise when I put pressure on it, this time was opposite.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
woot.. good thing you got the right one changed the first time

sucks having to take everything apart because you put the right part in the wrong place

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote