Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
cherryfrog
GX Member

cherryfrog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cherryfrog Send a message via MSN to cherryfrog Send a message via Yahoo to cherryfrog
i need ideas

ok guys. right now iwth me not working i'm low on money. i would like to start learning how to work on my car and make it 1. look better 2. run better.what would you guys recomend to start off with to start with? (for a newby lol) also i did notice some rust on the back passenger side right by the rear passanger door/tire
Old 12-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm, well, what is your mechanical background like?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Do a tune-up - about $50 and 1 hour of work max. Will improve your car's performance and mpg. To make it look better (not at this time of the year) do some detailing - $20 on products and 3hours max.
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
cherryfrog
GX Member

cherryfrog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cherryfrog Send a message via MSN to cherryfrog Send a message via Yahoo to cherryfrog
honestly not much. i know how to check the fluids and stuff but that is about it. that is why i owuld like to learn more
Old 12-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Chipmunk-Alero
AleroMoB

Chipmunk-Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chipmunk-Alero
go to a parts house and get a book for your car......they help first timers.

Tune-up was said but i will elaborate for you. That means new plugs (platinums are best), new wires (8mm is a good size). Also, change your fuel filter, clean your MAF, new air filter or CAI/WAI, and finally oil and filter change.

You will notice a difference in the way it runs.

CC & PB, Tinted Tails, 3K HIDs (Lows/Fogs), GAGT Mirrors, Flowmaster Exhaust, D/S Rotors, CAI, Rockford Fosgate T400-4 T800-4, 1 15" C3, Rockford F 5.25/R 6x9
Chipmunk-Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
keep the car clean, get that salt off, that will add to the rust issue.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk-Alero View Post

Tune-up was said but i will elaborate for you. That means new plugs (platinums are best), new wires (8mm is a good size). Also, change your fuel filter, clean your MAF, new air filter or CAI/WAI, and finally oil and filter change.

You will notice a difference in the way it runs.

before he gets really confused, the 2.4 has neither spark plug wires nor a MAF. but changing plugs, oil and fuel filters and oil is always a good start. also, just visually check whatever you can see under the hood and under the car. if anything looks wrong or out of place, even to a novice, look it up and how to replace it. as far as looks, the easiest thing to do that costs nothing is to remove all the badging. i personally like the look of the back end with no olds symbol or letters. maybe take out the front emblem and paint it to match the car, or another contrasting color. appearance mods are virtually endless.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
Chipmunk-Alero
AleroMoB

Chipmunk-Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chipmunk-Alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
before he gets really confused, the 2.4 has neither spark plug wires nor a MAF. but changing plugs, oil and fuel filters and oil is always a good start. also, just visually check whatever you can see under the hood and under the car. if anything looks wrong or out of place, even to a novice, look it up and how to replace it. as far as looks, the easiest thing to do that costs nothing is to remove all the badging. i personally like the look of the back end with no olds symbol or letters. maybe take out the front emblem and paint it to match the car, or another contrasting color. appearance mods are virtually endless.

Whoopsy, totally disregard everything I said.

Im a 3.4 guy. I see it in your sig now.

CC & PB, Tinted Tails, 3K HIDs (Lows/Fogs), GAGT Mirrors, Flowmaster Exhaust, D/S Rotors, CAI, Rockford Fosgate T400-4 T800-4, 1 15" C3, Rockford F 5.25/R 6x9
Chipmunk-Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Um clear your corners and or paint your bezels, tint your tails, tint your windows, CAI/WAI, and all the above essentials
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
ServO
GL Member

ServO is on a distinguished road
You know...or don't clear your corners or mess with you bezels...as long as your headlights are not all scratched up or foggy, it looks nice stock. Tint those windows tho...yes depending on your cash flow and thirst for adventure, you can do it yourself, or pay to have someone do it for you...
I think tinted tails are damn sexy too...that's a somewhat easy mod, although I didn't do mine, my cores came already tinted.
ServO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
First, get a car wash like your sig says you need lol and clean out the inside if its dirty. I wouldn't do any major appearance changes in winter with all the snow and salt on the roads, but thats just me. Second, like the rest of them said get a tune-up change oil, plugs, and check any other fluids on the car that you haven't already checked and taken care of. Last make sure you check that your tires and tire pressure are in good shape I recommend all tires be between 30 and 35 lbs. because you don't want to be driving around on bad tires with low tire pressure, especially in winter and check and make sure your brakes are working right and that you don't need to replace pads or rotors anytime soon.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote