Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
MiLo
GX Member

MiLo is on a distinguished road
leaking breather hose

i'm trying to replace the breather hose on top of the engine. but the shop doesn't have this particular hose. so what he did was cut me a piece of 7/16" scrap hose and told me to cut it to size and this would be fine..

here are some pix.. the 1st one is the old (dried cracked & seeping through)

the 2nd and 3rd one is the scrap 7/16" cut to about 10"

so i'm wondering if this is the right size diameter and if it would hold up?
JVC kw-hdr720 Double Din Head Unit
Polk Audio DXi691 Coaxial & DXi461 Plate Speakers
White/Glossified Plasti-Dipped OEM 15" Rims
Red Painted Brake Calipers & Drums
CarDomain home page is pretty much before pix.
The after pix haven't been taken yet... Still under construction

Last edited by MiLo : 10-07-2013 at 11:47 PM.
MiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
yes hose is hose, it will hold up, why not take that hose off and try to put the new hose on and find out? or put the new hose next to the old hose and see if they are the same width.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
MiLo
GX Member

when i was at the shop we did that thats how we got the 7/16" but i was wondering if there were thinner walls on different hoses... or are they all just about the same thickness? ohh and can i keep the same clips or do i have to get new ones?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Oil shouldn't be in the hose to seep through...Check your throttle body like I mentioned and I bet it is straight black...I also would guess you go through oil and get lower gas mileage...If I am right then clean the vent in your oil cap or replace it...before I cleaned the vent in my oil cap it was dumping oil through that tube into the intake and that hose was always seeping oil...I cleaned the vent a few weeks ago and now that tube is bone dry...Not saying not to replace it anyways because I still need to do something in mine, just saying check it because it decreases gas mileage and increases oil consumption
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
you can re use them as long as you are careful.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
ya...i missed the clip part...I have taken it off at least 3 times now and they are still fine...they are high quality spring steel...I do however see the possibility of it being a PITA if the O.D. of the new hose is different, not that it will be impossible, but you gotta squeeze them pretty hard to slide them along the existing piece
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
MiLo
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
Oil shouldn't be in the hose to seep through...Check your throttle body like I mentioned and I bet it is straight black...I also would guess you go through oil and get lower gas mileage...If I am right then clean the vent in your oil cap or replace it...before I cleaned the vent in my oil cap it was dumping oil through that tube into the intake and that hose was always seeping oil...I cleaned the vent a few weeks ago and now that tube is bone dry...Not saying not to replace it anyways because I still need to do something in mine, just saying check it because it decreases gas mileage and increases oil consumption

yeah so i changed the hose to the one in the 2nd and 3rd pictures. it wasnt molded so it was a PITA to put on. and i can see a slight pinch where it curves but i think it should be ok.. the clips are working fine i just cleaned them up a lil with soap and warm water..

show me a picture of the throttle body so i know exactly what you're talking about. this is the first time i noticed there wasn't that much oil before doing the oil change. so i dont think i go through that much oil, but i will keep an eye out now. and my gas gauge is stuck on full so i cant tell exactly how much gas i have, i have to guesstimate by how many miles between fill ups..

when i replaced the air filter it had oil at the bottom of case. so i tried to soak up as much as i can with a rag before i put the new filter on. so you're saying to get a new oil cap? i figure this would be easier then cleaning because i didnt know that there was a vent in the oil cap.. lol.. (newbie)
Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

yeah...I can take pictures...me saying that cleaning the cap worked bit me in the ass because it messed up again...gotta blow it out again with the air hose as I can't really afford the new one at this point and cleaning it is functional enough for me for now

Make sure that you get the vented cap...it is the more expensive one, I don't know why they even have any listed for our car that aren't vented, unless they are universal and appear for everything.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
03glgold
GLS member

Cleaning/checking the throttle body in an l61

Just a picture of my motor without anything taken out yet

remove breather hose(you could also save this for one of the last steps if you don't want to fight the hose

disconnect vacuum line

remove intake tube

remove the clip for the black box. This is a two piece clip where the center pulls out to loosen the outer piece. Insert screwdriver in notch as shown.

This picture is from the drivers side. It is hard to see the screw because of the crappy cell phone picture, but there is a screw on a clamp in there

Pull the black box and there is the throttle body

And lastly the throttle body removed because it was a little dirty and I was that close so I decided to clean it again
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
MiLo
GX Member

dope... so what can i use to clean the tb? and what does cleaning the tb do for me? better gas mileage or what? i figure inside the black box would be the dirtiest since oil was sprayed from the breather hose, so is it ok to clean the black box too or is that not possible? and while im at it, if there was oil all the way in the bottom of the air filter compartment obviously the oil traveled and dirtied everything from the body throttle to the air filter... is it possible to clean the inside of the whole intake manifold?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

throttle body cleaner is what I would use...it should give a little better mpg and a marginal amount more pep...it is possible to clean all that, but the cleaner says not to clean plastic parts so i would be careful...it is difficult to clean the box well unless you have little kid hands though and the only way i see for the manifold is spraying cleaner in it, which i wouldn't get too carried away with

assuming you take the throttle body off dont forget to reconnect the sensors...i almost forgot them the first time and did forget them last night...it doesnt run well without them and it sucks having to take it back apart in the dark when you need to go somewhere

Last edited by 03glgold : 05-06-2013 at 11:19 PM.