Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Well I just got back from a 700 mile round trip to the beach. While at the beach my alero started making a really bad grinding/humming noise as I drive. I came to the conclusion that it is my left front bearing. I made it back home, but it is really bad. I am afraid to move it. It really sounds like the wheel is going to fall off. And when I go over 60, its worse. Its hums and grinds and has a vibration through the whole car. I am still under warranty and my dealer is about 30mins away. Should I attempt to drive it to the dealer or have it towed?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
jbilyeu

Well, take a look at your warranty and your insurance policy. You might actually have something that covers towing and it won't cost you a thing. I do and I had my car towed to the dealer last week and had a couple things done. It might make it to the dealer, but why risk it? You could do some serious damage to your car that won't be covered by the warranty due to it being negligence on your part. I say have it towed even if you have to pay for it, I would think it would be 50-60 bucks for that, better than doing major damage to your car.

Jon
Old 02-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
misslindseysue

I drove 500 miles with a bearing like that. Call the dealer and ask what you should do if you're not sure though. They should be able to tell if warranty will cover towing.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
myalerobaby

I drove for a loooooong time like that. They had just rotated my tires and they said the sound came from the tires having to wear down differently. They said it would go away and never did, so I finally took it back and they had to change both bearings. I was so unhappy!! But it was worth it cuz I forgot how smooth it can actually ride.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
j-work

j-work is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced mine (wheel bearing/hub assembly) a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't that bad took about a hour, but wait till you get it fixed then you will be able to pick out every little sound that your car makes!!!
j-work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Well I called the dealer and they said it should be fine to drive it since it just started. So it goes in tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Well its fixed. It was the left one just as I thought. No more sounding like a small jet taking off.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:17 AM   #8
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Those bearings must be a common problem. I changed my right front last summer after it was making that same noise for a few weeks. now I think my right front is starting to go too. it's just barely starting to make that small-airplane-taking-off noise ......
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 AM   #9
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spilner521@Feb 9 2005, 02:17 AM
Those bearings must be a common problem. I changed my right front last summer after it was making that same noise for a few weeks. now I think my right front is starting to go too. it's just barely starting to make that small-airplane-taking-off noise ......
yep, I bet thats your problem. I knew it was a common problem on the older alero's, but you think they would have corrected the problem by 03.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
bluephoAm

Anyone know of any good dealers that sell wheel bearings for non-ripoff prices?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #11
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
The one i last replaced i found on eBay for $100. I also got lucky and it was a local guy so i didnt pay shipping i just picked it up. i dont know how much it is from auto part stores but i thought it wasnt a bad deal at all..........I just looked up "alero hub" on eBay. there's 2...one for $99.95 with $20 shipping, and one for $199.00 with free shipping.