Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I just thought I would chime in on this a bit... you are worried about modding your car at this point with how many miles are on it etc... here is my statement to that comment...

this car was purchased for sole purpose of being a winter beater... it looked worse than swiss cheese when I got it, bondo'd the heck out of it, and it has lasted me well over 2 years now... as you can see, there is plenty of visible rust poking through, and the subframe is getting worse by the day... but, I have done a full grand am interior swap,
put a warm air intake on it, and painted the idi cover as well as a front strut tower bar...

just because the mileage is creeping up, does not mean you cannot invest in the car to have some fun... worst case scenario, you do what I have done... as this one nears the end, rather than look at the parts as a wasted investment, just buy another one to swap the parts to!!!

btw, this is my third alero... here is my baby that is for summer only!!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
A well cared for ecotec is known to easily exceed 300k...there are several that have cleared 500k...I have an 03' with 157k and while I have been having some issues with it the current problem is due to either bad parts being sold or the mechanic didn't do it right...Mine has not been well cared for or well treated...I bought it with 134k from a family member who bought it with 11 miles...In their time of ownership I only know of about 5 oil changes, it has been used as a truck, and out of all the days it has been driven in its life, I bet it has been redlined at least once for about 70% of its life...That car has had the crap beat out of it and has taken it fairly well...Even if something happens in the time it takes to load and unload it, it has still been an excellent car, and if you have taken good care of it I wouldn't hesitate to build it as it has tons of life left...I am a little jelly that you managed to find a 5 speed...As far as the rust goes, if you have had it all its life, and you have kept it clean, then it should be fine...Most of its life mine has been in Kansas and Colorado, it hasn't been regularly cleaned, and the only rust is where it is starting to form at the bottom of the doors

Most of us will tell you to keep it because we love the things...If for some reason my car dies, then I will do my best for my next car to be another Alero...particularly if you get an 03-04' you will be pretty good...by that point they had resolved the vast majority of issues that the alero had

Welcome to the site, nice car, and most of the site is jelly of your factory 5 speed
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #23
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
TWO! sell me that hood!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #24
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
sorry nate, you are about the 5th in line for it!! although at this point, I am not sure how many of the others are still active on this forum since I got it... but I will not part with it... sorry

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #25
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Has no one said... COME TO ASS!!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #26
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
sorry nate, you are about the 5th in line for it!! although at this point, I am not sure how many of the others are still active on this forum since I got it... but I will not part with it... sorry

ill pay 1000$ for it. and it will have a good home
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #27
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Nate licks his car clean every day.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
ill pay 1000$ for it. and it will have a good home

Given that's five times what i paid for it, that's a very generous offer... however it already has a loving home sitting on top of my mildly built la1

Right now it is tucked away in her garage safely out of harms way for the winter...

Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #29
sleepyalero
GLS member

That hood is all I need to be complete for appearance. Lucky guy you. I almost got the one billy bought from Kyle.

Oh well, I offered and I tried. enjoy it! Lucky bastard... haha
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #30
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

I do enjoy it... it is the first thing people comment on when they see my car... dude, that is awesome... where did you get it, can I have it?? lmao... I love it!!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #31
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Nate licks his car clean every day.

I could eat off it, it stays so clean.

Two - yeah I bet! Still wish I had one.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
the1lyden
GX Member

the1lyden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Welcome! There are a TON of CHEAP mods to do to that 4 banger. The 3400 is another story....$900 ceramic coated headers vs. $200 ceramic coated header (for your engine) lol. I have over 8k into mine and will NEVER see that....with my fully new suspension, 3500 engine with 35k on it and a CLEAN car it's only worth prob like 3k If you love the car.....start modding!

Also...you said the cruise doesn't work....do you have any lights on in the gauges? If your trac off/abs/service vehicle lights come on it's a bad speed sensor in your wheel hub. Get a scanner and find out which one...then replace hub assembly. Cruise control will work again. If not...idk what it is....could be a bad cruise module?

Windshield wipers.....there is a thread on it with no answers....try replacing the wiper motor and check if the wipers are bolted down tight enough (prob are but worth checking).

Just checked and one of my small break lights from the middle section is out, but i am not sure how long it have been out. I lost my cruise about 1-2 years ago.

Also, i have had a thin black wire that have been just dangling near my hood release. i thought it might be a cruise control ground... which might explain some of my cruise issues, but i tried grounding it near my drivers side fuse panel. didn't seem to help, but that was before i checked my break lights. I have no idea where it goes, and am a little leery to start taking things apart.

I still need to check under the hood to see if the cable popped off the throttle body.... not really sure what i am looking for there. But i will look for loose cables.

tw0 - yes yours is another Alero i have been admiring.... looks amazing. i have been thinking about either getting a hood scoop or investing in a new hood...

If i get a scoop or hood, and a new body kit.... any thoughts on getting the stuff painted??? like do it myself or recommendations for taking it to... a place known for good/affordable work?
the1lyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
sleepyalero
GLS member

Well there is no nice fictional hoods available for the alero anymore. Twos hood is discontinued. There's duraflex. But it's just for looks not function.

You could paint a hood yourself if you're good at Painting, if not then take it somewhere.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #34
the1lyden
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Well there is no nice fictional hoods available for the alero anymore. Twos hood is discontinued. There's duraflex. But it's just for looks not function.

You could paint a hood yourself if you're good at Painting, if not then take it somewhere.

I just think that if i was going to do it, i would want to do it right, and i see people using bondo on cars and using it when they do body kits, and i am just not sure of the process.... sanding, priming, painting, clear coat?

But if someone recommended that Midas does a great job and they are reasonably priced, then i would consider it, rather that potentially ruining any mods i make.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
sleepyalero
GLS member

Midas does okay for a paint job to get by with.

Yeah basically sand smooth, prime, paint, clear.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Midas will paint your car but it wont be a great job.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
the1lyden
GX Member

I see some older posts about Air Intakes, and i was curious if anything had really changed since some of those posts.

I really like the looks of this:
http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=260&pid=1359

But it is $95 and maybe a shipping cost. Then i see this on ebay for pretty darn cheap, but i am not sure if it is a really cheap version.

I have a manual 5 speed, 2.2L eco engine. The image below doesn't show the correct engine, but the item is supposed to be for my rig.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-00-...b3e3b9&vxp=mtr

Last edited by the1lyden : 12-18-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #38
sleepyalero
GLS member

Spend the money, get the Cosmo.... 95$ isn't terrible. And that second one would be a waste of money
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #39
the1lyden
GX Member

That is what i was leaning towards! Thanks Sleepy.
Oh, and i looked for those decals like you have, and i couldn't fine anything. I DID find a lot of Transformer Emblems though. lol
Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
sleepyalero
GLS member

The fender stripes?

Just eBay "fender stripes" most sellers have you send a message with your payment to say what color you want if they have options.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: