Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
the1lyden
GX Member

the1lyden is on a distinguished road
help with wiring harness and mounting bracket

Hey guys,

I am getting this stereo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2012-PIO...item3f20a74be2

and i was hoping to get some suggestions on the wiring harness and mounting bracket i will need for it.

thanks for any help fellas!
the1lyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Bestbuy or frys or any audio shop will have them...
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
This is the wiring harness that I purchased, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180727498988?... 4.m1439.l2649
for the Class 2 system.
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure if this applies to the Oldsmobile, but I think you have to buy the indash kit depending if your original radio is din 1/2 or 2din.

For the wiring harness, this is a good deal. I would assume if your car is a 2003, you have to tap into the ignition wire for the switched lead. I know the Grand Ams are like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-4004-...a96173&vxp=mtr
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
One other choice - Crutchfield, while sometimes a bit pricier than eBay or Amazon, DOES check that what they sell they claim works, works.

You can actually buy the head unit, the harnesses, and any and all upgrade speakers at one time with them.

You may pay a bit more, but it'll work if they say it'll work.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
the1lyden
GX Member

Just did a vehicle specific search\for a wiring harness at crutchfield and got a whole lot of DOES NOT FITS.

2003 Oldsmobile Alero
4-door, manual transmission
Stereo is an AM/FM/CD without Onstar
Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
One other choice - Crutchfield, while sometimes a bit pricier than eBay or Amazon, DOES check that what they sell they claim works, works.

You can actually buy the head unit, the harnesses, and any and all upgrade speakers at one time with them.

You may pay a bit more, but it'll work if they say it'll work.

RwP

Well really, all you need from crutchfield is the part number. Scosche and Metra kits have the same number no matter where you get them.

Also, remember that he already bought the head.

Anyways, here's a metra. It's $12 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-99-200...item19d78bbe5f

And if you like scosche, then here's one IT's $9.19 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Moto...7cb6b3&vxp=mtr

You choose which one you like.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Nas - you're right, that's all you need.

Crutchfield's price includes the overhead to DO the testing.

I'm of the "Hey, they did the work, they need some money for it" mind set myself.

Not everyone is - but I DO highly recommend that if you use Crutchfield for the part numbers, don't try to save the little bit extra and buy elsewhere.

I also tip the pizza guy good for bringing my pizza. Not everyone does. Eh. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves how much that information is worth. (The "This works, that doesn't" list.)

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
the1lyden
GX Member

Hey guys, those look like they are for single din stereos. is it possible that the images are not correct? or am i thinking about this wrong?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

No, that's my bad. I didn't realize you were getting a 2Din.

I'll post 2din ones up shortly.

Scosche GM1590AB $9.80/FREE SHIPPING

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOSCHE-GM15...7d8fa1&vxp=mtr

Metra 95-2009 $9.79/FREE SHIPPING
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-95-200...54a c&vxp=mtr

It's your choice/brand preference.

Last edited by Nas Escobar : 01-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
the1lyden
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
No, that's my bad. I didn't realize you were getting a 2Din.

I'll post 2din ones up shortly.

Scosche GM1590AB $9.80/FREE SHIPPING

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOSCHE-GM15...7d8fa1&vxp=mtr

Metra 95-2009 $9.79/FREE SHIPPING
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-95-200...54a c&vxp=mtr

It's your choice/brand preference.

Thanks Nas, that is really helpful!

There were a couple suggestions for wiring harness... the one you mentioned one was $38... YIKES! But then there was the one from S8track16 for like $4. what is the difference, and i imagine i will still need to get an antenna adapter, right?