Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
the1lyden
GX Member

the1lyden is on a distinguished road
More Tire Questions

Hey guys, i have read through several threads and haven't really found what i am looking for. I want to close the gap between the tire and the body, but i don't want to lower.

I want 18 inch rims
I want a little wider tire than the stock 225's
i do not want to lower at all
i don't want rubbing if i can avoid it
I am not too concerned if my Speedo is off a bit

I was wondering which might best provide what i want:
235/40/18
235/45/18
245/40/18
245/45/18

I currently have:
225/50/16

Thoughts?
the1lyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
mfuller

Probably a 235/40R18.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
not to be rude, but if you don't lower the car with bigger wheels you will be entering super 4x4 mode... not quite donk mode... I have mine lowered with 20's and it sits pretty much stock height if not a bit higher... I hate it to the point I am trying different spring combos to see which will give me a better drop, otherwise I am searching for new wheels...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
not to be rude, but if you don't lower the car with bigger wheels you will be entering super 4x4 mode... not quite donk mode... I have mine lowered with 20's and it sits pretty much stock height if not a bit higher... I hate it to the point I am trying different spring combos to see which will give me a better drop, otherwise I am searching for new wheels...

this...remember that with 18's yes add 1 inch towards the fender however it also lifts the car an inch so you could put certain drops on it and go back around factory ride height...this is if you put close to the same thickness of rubber
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
the1lyden
GX Member

Hmmm, well the car is 10 years old, maybe those parts could use replacing anyways....

Where would you recommend getting some lowering springs? about how much would it run me??? it is something i could do myself or would i need a shop to take care of it? i am only slightly mechanically inclined.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i installed my suspension myself.

gr2 struts, 52-54$ a piece. (need 4)

canuck springs, 189$ + 30$ shipping. (theres also other options, i think these are the cheapest)

kyb boot kits, 10$ each. (need 4)

front stut mounts i have MOOG. it was 67.xx with free shipping (set of 2)

rear strut mounts. also MOOG 38-40$ free ship. (set of 2)

you can rent a spring compressor from an auto store, or you can just take it to a shop and have them put the sprigs/struts together. i went to a GM dealer they charged me 169$ to get the job done.

then from there you can just install em, you will need an alignment after install.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 01-15-2013 at 10:14 AM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
the1lyden
GX Member

Thanks for typing all that out Sleepy.... Hmmm that is another $700 or so... i just don't know if it is worth doing for me...

i am already planning on:
new stereo and speakers: $750
New Header and exhaust: $600
new intake (not sure about shipping): $100
AAS Body Kit: $400 + shipping???
New rims and tires: $950
Tint windows: $150
New/Bigger Calipers and Rotors: $200

I don't know if the car will last long enough for me to save the money to pay to get it lowered....
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1lyden View Post
Thanks for typing all that out Sleepy.... Hmmm that is another $700 or so... i just don't know if it is worth doing for me...

i am already planning on:
new stereo and speakers: $750
New Header and exhaust: $600
new intake (not sure about shipping): $100
AAS Body Kit: $400 + shipping???
New rims and tires: $950
Tint windows: $150
New/Bigger Calipers and Rotors: $200

I don't know if the car will last long enough for me to save the money to pay to get it lowered....

don't forget the paint for that AAS kit...I just got a quote for painting the razzi kit and it was $4-600...it also matters if the fitment is correct for the AAS as to if it costs extra to make it right
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly if i were you i would do the suspension before the appearance (body kit) it will help the car perform much better and help keep the car where you want it especially with the small performance mods you have planned as well. Don't want to lose control due to a suspension component not handling the power you have...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
jawa