Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
dustyd63
GX Member

dustyd63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dustyd63
Well, coming home from an Xbox get together on Saturday night, my oil pump decided it had lived long enough. I had to get my dad up at 1 in the morning to tow it the remaining 4 miles home with his Explorer...

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't just bought it a couple months ago. (The temporary plates expire in uh... 3 days... and my new ones haven't come in yet... hmmm )

So, now I'm on the tail end of deciding what to do. The current plans are to throw a used engine and tranny in it this Saturday.

I can get a 3.4L as a direct replacement for mine for 700 bucks... cheaper than a rebuilt. I thought about reworking it to get it going again, but by the time I replaced the pistons, rings, pump, and honed out the cylinders, I'd be at a little over $500, with considerable more time into it than a swap. Plus, it was having a little hesitation turning over, which is only going to get worse when the cold weather comes. The replacement I'm looking at has about 100k miles on it (only 20k more than mine) and has been checked out well by the local Car recycler... and it includes a 90 day warranty which will get me through the coldest months.

As for the tranny, I'm doing that because of two problems that have started to catch my attention. It seems to have a good slip in it - going down the road, it will lose power for a couple seconds until I feel it shift back into a random gear and keep going. Also, it learned a new trick in the past weeks. When I let my foot off the break, but not touch the gas, it's supposed to be a constant, smooth pressure. Well, I've now got a very noticable pulse coming from the transmission. So, I can pick one up for $400 from the same recyclers, with the same 90 day warranty.

I went with used over rebuilt because of the price difference. I can afford two used engines for the same cost as a rebuilt, and I can put in three different transmissions for the same as a rebuilt.

Let's play Spot the Flaw... Anything I've overlooked or should do while I'm in there? The car has about 80k miles on it and is almost perfect except for those things, so I figure I can afford to put a little in it.

Thanks!
dustyd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #2
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
the swap doesnt sound like such a bad idea...the reason why you haven't recieved your regular plate yet is because the dealer you bought your car from hasn't paid the sales tax on it yet, thus the state won't release your plate...I would call the title clerk at the dealer and reaise hell
Old 10-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
dustyd63
GX Member

^ Thanks for the tip... I think I know what I'll do tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
keepitsimple

if u bought ur car 30 days ago u should check into the dealers warranty. if u had a 30 day or even 60 day warranty. check that before u spend ur money. when u buy a car from a dealer they usually have a 30 or 60 day warranty on it.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
dustyd63
GX Member

Well, the temporary plates that are issued for 90 days expire on Thursday. I thought about that, but it's been a couple months too long. Would've been nice, though