Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 07-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Bought some Aleros - Fix/Clean/Build

Apparently I'm 'that guy' now who buys old cars to fix for resale!
Got this one:

2003 GLS 4-door, fully loaded, no inspection needed, drove it away for $200. Only 160,000 km (99,400 miles). Its riced out with a fart can and nightshaded tails. The paint is trashed so bad it looks like they painted it with their hands, it was originally silver. The driver door and trunk are not matched so I don't have a key for them so I'll have to sort that out since I don't have a fob. The passenger window doesn't go down, the passenger mirror adjuster motor is broken and the sunroof doesn't work. Bodywise the trunk isn't adjusted correctly, the driver side front door needs to be re-hung and the driver side rear door needs to be replaced due to some big dents. The rear driver quarter was some minor damage on the door seam as well. Good news is that there isn't a speck of rust anywhere, not even on the underside of the hood. Interior is a gross mess but everything is there including a new JVC headunit.

*pics pending*

2002 GX 2 door, 2.2l ecotec base model for $250. Timing chain is gone and the head needs to be fixed because the chain broke while it was running. It is supposed to be low mileage, maybe less than 90,000k (56,000 miles) but I couldn't check because of no battery. The paint and panels are perfect except that it has the standard quarter panel rot. Interior is a bit dirty and the center console is covered in ash. I'm probably going to strip this one down and swap the good panels to my daily Alero because my driver door is rusting and my back bumper cover is scratched up from an accident. This one is also missing one headlight but is complete otherwise.

I'm going to post my progress here and I will try to post some tutorials about fixing common things as well as interior removal and cleaning. I'm planning on painting the four door and I would like to fix the rust on the two door as well so there is a lot to do.

Might as well post my progress on my daily as well, I just replaced the power steering rack and am doing some maintenance on it.

2001 GLS 2 door with 270,000km (168000 miles)

Last edited by mrmike : 07-11-2016 at 11:07 PM.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Nice!

You should make a build thread for each one of em to keep up with em individually.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
indeed individual build threads would be more interesting (if detailed) and easier to follow.

I am officially intrigued
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
good to see you're still kicking around!! I've had 4 alero's in the last 10 years and still have my original although the others are gone... I keep looking at others and get shot down by my wife now haha

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Ok perfect. My alero needs a new subframe the power steering rack mount rusted off, whats all involved in this? Also what is that big main metal reinforcement on the front? Somehow mine doesnt have which is why it isnt driven
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
falloutboy
GL Member

That massive metal frame, where the steering any everything else is attached to is called a K-Member or Subframe.
So to say THE most essential part in the front of the car.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-14-2016, 02:43 AM   #7
mrmike
GL Member

So the next day I went to move it off the street and it wouldn't start! It was obviously electrical and not a dead battery or starter so I spent the day rebuilding and cleaning the ignition, checking fuses and ground wires. Still didn't start and the gas gauge didn't work. I had washed the engine the day I bought it and it was also raining for two days straight so it was very wet and humid out. Today I went to try to figure it out and it started with the first turn of the key. There was only one ground that I didn't touch, the one by the airbox. I had trouble with it on my daily Alero so it might be that.

Anyways, I got it moved and started the tear down and inspection aka automotive archeology!

I found a big piece of the sunroof mechanism that had broken off, most of the missing screws were under the seats and they had changed the fuel pump by cutting through the floor instead of dropping the tank lol. I'll have to fix the hole because I'm sure thats not safe in an accident. You could slide your hand under the seat and touch the gas tank...

Stripped and ripped out the whole interior except for the seats, center console, door cards and carpet. The carpet is gross and was also freshly wet so I will have to see if there is a leak somewhere.

The good news is that almost everything is there and the wiring is 100%! They had installed a headunit but they ran their own wire so a proper install will be easier.

Right now its all stripped down with a fart can on it so I'm resisting the urge to go beat the hell out of it...

Last edited by mrmike : 07-14-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
falloutboy
GL Member

How did u get the headliner out without removing the rearwindow or windshield??

Please a detailed explanation as I couldn't figure it out as I wanted to take it out.
Or did u fold it somehow?
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
AleroCzak
GX Member

AleroCzak is on a distinguished road
Since you have the headliner out and the car has a sunroof, would you be able to say one way or the other if you think it would be feasible to put the OEM sunroof in a car that was built without one? I'd like to know.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Julian you can remove the headliner through the trunk... Fold down the back seats and out it goes

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:26 AM   #11
mrmike
GL Member

Actually I just slid the passenger seat forward and turned the liner sideways. I put one side down on the rear floor and the other side up by the back window and it slides out the rear driver side door nicely. I've done it before on a two door as well and it was much easier.

As for a sunroof, I would say no for sure. Its a huge piece with lots of wiring and parts. The mechanism covers almost the entire roof. Its held in by a ton of screws too so the only way would be to completely remove the roof and weld in a sunroof one. There is also a big internal structure around the sunroof hole so it would never seal right if you just hacked it in. Best bet would to be to simply buy one with it, which would also be cheaper. I remember back in the day some people did cloth covered aftermarket sunroofs but that would also be a huge hack and would never keep the weather out.

Last edited by mrmike : 07-15-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
falloutboy
GL Member

Hmm, this give me a whole bunch of new opportunities to fix my comming loose headliner.

Thank you very very much for the info Tw0123 and MrMike
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
AleroCzak
GX Member

AleroCzak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
... As for a sunroof, I would say no for sure...
Thanks for the insight. I saw a sunroof assembly taken out of an N-body at a junkyard and thought,"Hmmm..." but I wouldn't have known for sure until I tore something apart.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #14
mrmike
GL Member

Bought a fourth Alero! (technically lol). 2002 4 door, the package is the one below the GLS so it has the 15" wheels and cloth interior but has foglights and the 3400.

Gonna use the hood, fenders, doors, trunk and bumper covers instead of sanding down the horrible paint that was done to it. I also have a matching key for the ignition, doors and trunk and I scored a full interior set plus all the electronics that I need to fix up both cars.

Just for transport I ziptied the front end on my daily. I wish I had a white Alero 2 door!

No thanks

How not to change your fuel pump

Notice the torn steering wheel...it had an 8-ball "suicide knob" on it held on by a metal clamp

Last edited by mrmike : 07-30-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
falloutboy
GL Member

*cry*
at least its parts gonna get a better home now
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #16
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes one has to die for the others to survive.

Nice work so far
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
falloutboy
GL Member

Wait a second, u took the headliner out?
Did u take it through the rear door, and only hat to remove the headrest on the passenger side?
Willing to share some shots of how the headliner, foam and textile is at the back side (where the 3 clips are), so I can glue mine back together correct.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX