Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
limey
GX Member

limey is on a distinguished road
weird Starting Problem

Hi, some days my Alero starts no problem, other times when I turn the key to start, at the same time as the starter spins there is a clicking sound from the back doors and the car will not start. I'm sure it is the back doors, it sounds just like when the doors lock as you pull away. When I get this click sound, the car will not start.
Any suggestions other than calling the scrap yard?
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #2
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Is your security light turning on? Also, the fuel pump is in the rear, so perhaps clicking is coming from there?
Old 07-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
limey
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
Is your security light turning on? Also, the fuel pump is in the rear, so perhaps clicking is coming from there?
Thanks for the reply,
the security light does not come and the vehicle does not throw a code.
I think it must be an intermittent ignition problem. Often the cars starts and other times it will start and then immediately cut out and the door locks would activate as when I park the car and turn off the ignition. A couple of times the motor has cut out when stopped in traffic and the dash goes blank as if I have switched of the engine and needs to be restarted. Also the the remote start does not work now, so I'm thinking there may be a wiring problem between the
remote starter and the ignition.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Things like these random malfunctions scream "ground-issues"
May your car see winter / salt / bad weather a lot?

Get yourself a Haynes or Chilton manual and see if you can single out a common ground for these issues.
Or maybe even a bad ignition switch, if it more often just cuts out while stopped.
See reasons why GM recalled our cars to put these non-sense plugs into the key
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
limey
GX Member

I'm of the opinion that I should not put any money into the vehicle, I've had some bad luck with it since purchasing it late last summer.
The car was in very good condition, sprayed every year and only done 70K, if to be believed. The ignition started to play up and would only start with the remote, then the remote quit.
During the winter I got side swiped in a country restaurant parking lot, putting ripples in the drivers side door. On the way home we got caught a snow storm with a complete white out and I ran off the Transcanada highway. A tow truck came to pull us out and deliberately tried to damage the car so they could stitch me up with repairs by trying to hook up to the rad. They broke the AC metal hose and tried to tell me the leakage was from the rad and to turn the ignition off and they would tow us to their garage. Luckily I was outside the car and guessed what they were up to and told them the the rad was fine and just to pull us out.
Anyway now I have no AC and damage to the door, plus the ignition problems and I have just noticed the coolant is low and there is some oil sludge on the cap, so I guess it is game over.