Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
AXLE
GX Member

AXLE is on a distinguished road
Black box

Does the Alero have one? Just heard on the radio the govt wants to use it to log our miles and tax us accordingly
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
No. Maybe if u had onstare and were a conspiracist it could be plausible .
Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
we have a lot of black boxes on our cars..the first one that comes to mind is the BCM, then we have relays and fuses and whatnot..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
If you look it up and read articles about it, it looks like a device that hooks up to the obdII connector. I am confused by what I read though because part of it talks about using it instead of fuel tax, and part is talking about using it along side fuel tax. What I read claimed that the fund for working on the highway is falling behind as more people are driving cars with better gas mileage and not receiving as much gas tax. Who knows what they will do.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
AXLE
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Sleepr View Post
we have a lot of black boxes on our cars..the first one that comes to mind is the BCM, then we have relays and fuses and whatnot..

Lol, a black box as in the recording device that logs what your car was doing prior to a crash, like airplanes have... Place rolleyes here.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
AXLE
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
If you look it up and read articles about it, it looks like a device that hooks up to the obdII connector. I am confused by what I read though because part of it talks about using it instead of fuel tax, and part is talking about using it along side fuel tax. What I read claimed that the fund for working on the highway is falling behind as more people are driving cars with better gas mileage and not receiving as much gas tax. Who knows what they will do.

Yes, this is what I heard on the radio too. Many GM cars have them and not just the high-end cars. If you guys don't know if it has one or not, you don't need to respond, simple yes or no would do.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
agraham gave you a serious response followed by sarcasm...the aleros shouldnt it should only be onstar vehicles
Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
joserivas19
GL Member

joserivas19 is on a distinguished road
I can see them trying to go that route, but it'd have to go thru congress and all. So it'll be a few years before anything official is put out. Also they would have to find a way to make it permanent on older vehicles that dont have one, since if it just plugs into the OBD reader, then everyone would just leave it unplugged and it'd show you bearly drove.

At this stage its a flawed system. Now, if the only start using it to tax new year models, and the rest are exempt then maybe but i doubt it.
joserivas19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
It's probably (and iv herd this before), possible to pull crash data from certain modules (such as SIR and ECM), but without onstar, there really is no "transmitting" device to give live/on demand data.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
We don't have that up here yet, however when you renew your plate sticker each year you have to write down the vehicle mileage and when you transfer ownership the mileage is on it as well... they have ways to implement that system here for extra tax income if they want, they do not need a black box installed...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

as much tax as ther already is they would be wise to not go through with this...at least here we already have sales(7% lowest some around 10%), property, and income taxes at fairly high levels...last i heard about 60% of income goes to taxes...income is however supposed to go down this year so it will be a little better
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
We, as in the Country of Canada, still falls 3,000,000 people short of the single State of California! So with such area and so little population to draw from I kinda understand but man...Our tax here is 13% in Ontario. Income tax is insane, property tax is out in left field, and the tax we pay on gas would probably send us into full fledged revolt if the general population actually knew the truth! For example, 19 cents... that's right. Gas in Ontario costs 19 friggin cents/L, add the taxes... 1.25-1.45/L depending baby! The whole topic of taxation makes me insane... pass the beer nuts
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Well, to reel this back into topic, no - the Alero doesn't have one. They didn't make that requirement for cars to have black boxes until 2010. The black box cars have nowadays log info before a crash. speed, whether or not you use a seat belt, stuff like that. My suggestion... don't buy a 2010 or newer car. Now if your car has onstar, then I guess you should be concerned about them listening in your car but other than that, you're ok. Just remember that the mileage does get stored in the PCM/ECM.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
AXLE
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Well, to reel this back into topic, no - the Alero doesn't have one. They didn't make that requirement for cars to have black boxes until 2010. The black box cars have nowadays log info before a crash. speed, whether or not you use a seat belt, stuff like that. My suggestion... don't buy a 2010 or newer car. Now if your car has onstar, then I guess you should be concerned about them listening in your car but other than that, you're ok. Just remember that the mileage does get stored in the PCM/ECM.

Maybe the requirement mandate started in 2010, but some modelslike Corvette and whatever the big Buick model have them since 2000. Thanx for a definitive response.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
We, as in the Country of Canada, still falls 3,000,000 people short of the single State of California! So with such area and so little population to draw from I kinda understand but man...Our tax here is 13% in Ontario. Income tax is insane, property tax is out in left field, and the tax we pay on gas would probably send us into full fledged revolt if the general population actually knew the truth! For example, 19 cents... that's right. Gas in Ontario costs 19 friggin cents/L, add the taxes... 1.25-1.45/L depending baby! The whole topic of taxation makes me insane... pass the beer nuts

it's even worse in quebec... 14.975% of tax on everything. I would be happy if I had to pay 13%...
plus the gas is 1,35-1,55/l...

IDK how I could possibly buy a house when I need a 10-20% cashdown and we have mortgage of only 20-25 years...

damn I live in a 925$/month appartment far from the city to cut the rent price but on the other hand it cost me 4-500$ in gas each month(2000-2500km)...
how can we buy a 200-250k house (25-50K cashdown needed)
it's freaking insane...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote