Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
Pcm + B&m

alright so i remember seeing an old thread in which it was mentioned that if you get the DHP PCM then you can't use the B&M shift kit. I've been looking at getting a PCM from mpracing, but after reading about it, I'm liking the B&M shift kit as well. would it be possible to get the mpracing PCM and the B&M shift kit? or will I be forced to make a decision? which i hate doing. thanks!
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
well when you buy a whole new computer it's got a lot more done to it besides shift pressure being increased

it's a lot better than just the shift kit (which merely increases pressure)

or you could buy HPTuners and do anything you want to your existing PCM! (lower shift times, increase pressure, turn off abuse mode, adjust fuel and spark, speed limiter, rev limiter, shift points, fan turn on temperatures, etc.)
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
99alerogirl
Female.

yeah i know the PCM will be better in the end, but i'm TRYING to wait until I get everything done so it can be tuned right. but i was thinking of getting the shift kit first, and was wondering if they would work together. i would buy HPTuners, but first of all it's a little outta my price range right now haha, and second, I know nothing about tuning. is it easy to use at all? I'm worried I'd screw something up haha, which is why I was just gonna order a custom PCM and let them deal with it.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
the DHP and B&M won't work together. If you get the B&M and down the road get a DHP PCM then you will have to remove the B&M.

no other way around it with those 2 items
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It's very easy to use, you just need to know what to do. You save all your tunes (stock and every time you modify) and it keeps a history of what changed, so it's easy to go back to an old one if you screwed up something (unless of course you changed your VE tables all to like zero and your car blew up)
Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
mfuller

Just tell Mark (@ MP Racing) that you already have a B&M, so to leave the shift pressure settings alone.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
why trick the computer when you can change it? forget the b&m.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
why trick the computer when you can change it? forget the b&m.

fact. lolz. but she said shes on a budget. geeze john. learn to read and such.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
99alerogirl
Female.

haha yeah I'm just trying to lessen the slip until I get more mods and get a PCM. I'm just wondering if I'll have to take it off when I get the PCM. but it sounds like I can just tell the mpracing guy
Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

It'd be better to take it off.... B&M ups the shift pressure all across the board and that's it.

You want shorter shift times, firmer pressure, and Abuse Mode disabled.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
99alerogirl
Female.

alright ion, well I'm just gonna drive up to Michigan tomorrow and pay you to tune my PCM for me ok? haha.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honestly I would get the PCM now. It is not that much more than the B&M and when you get enough mods on to require a retune I am sure Mark would be more than happy to do something for you. And honestly unless you are planning a cam or boost a retune is not necessary anyway.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
99alerogirl
Female.

I only have an exhaust right now, but I'm getting an intake at some point, and then some headers once I can save some money. oh and I have a 180 thermo sitting around that needs to go in when it gets warmer haha
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99alerogirl View Post
alright so i remember seeing an old thread in which it was mentioned that if you get the DHP PCM then you can't use the B&M shift kit. I've been looking at getting a PCM from mpracing, but after reading about it, I'm liking the B&M shift kit as well. would it be possible to get the mpracing PCM and the B&M shift kit? or will I be forced to make a decision? which i hate doing. thanks!

Noob question: What is a DHP PCM?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
99alerogirl
Female.

the PCM tuned by digital horsepower or something. I can't find that PCM anymore on PFYC, so I just got the mpracing one.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
the PCM tuned by digital horsepower or something. I can't find that PCM anymore on PFYC, so I just got the mpracing one.

what the heck are these things!! I hate my ignorance...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Digital Horsepower. They are out of business last I heard.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #18
99alerogirl
Female.

haha someone can probably tell you more than I can, but it's basically the thing that communicates between the engine and tranny? or something like that. someone will correct me. but anyways, it's on the driver's side above where your feet are, under the plastic. if you get it tuned it changes shift points and i guess makes shifting a lot better (which is why i got it), i guess it removes the speed limiter too.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
99alerogirl
Female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Digital Horsepower. They are out of business last I heard.

that's probably why i couldn't find the DHP PCM on PFYC huh?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #20
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
haha someone can probably tell you more than I can, but it's basically the thing that communicates between the engine and tranny? or something like that. someone will correct me. but anyways, it's on the driver's side above where your feet are, under the plastic. if you get it tuned it changes shift points and i guess makes shifting a lot better (which is why i got it), i guess it removes the speed limiter too.

So these fun lil things can be found where? And do they need to be professionally installed it sounds like? Cost wise total?