Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
alternator questions

i recently bought a set of lightweight pulleys for my car, a underdrive crank pulley, and what i thought was a stock sized alt pulley. come to find out, the alt pulley is somewhat larger than stock, maybe so i would be able to use the same sized belt with both pulleys, i dunno. anyway, what i wanted to know was:

A) would i have to get a new alt, like a high output one since i have both a smaller crank pulley, and a larger alt pulley (dont know the exact specs)?

B) my car makes an awful squeeling sound when its damp out, and i have traced it to the alt. i dunno if its a bearing or something, but would replacing just the pulley get rid of it or wud it most likely be something internal and require a new alt anyway?

hopefully everyone can understand these issues, and someone has some good advice. thanks
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
whiterider00
GLS member

nobody...?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
I would think that the squeeling sound is just the belt slipping when it gets wet. Does our belt look worn or is the tensioner not keeping enough tension on the belt?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

the belt looks a little worn i guess. been onthe car for the 35-40k i have driven it so far, and who knows how long before that. but the reason i think its the alt itself, is the only time i could get it to stop for a decent amt of time was when i actually put a little grease kinda on the face of the puley, and it seemed to be drawn in a little bit. only lasted a few minutes tho. could just as easily be the belt. makes sense to change it when i do the pulleys anyway. which brings me back to the first question. with those pulleys should i worry about the alt not rotating enough to provide enough voltage or should it be alright. im not running any stereo or lighting equip, so theres no excessive drain on voltage.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
You shouldnt worry about the alt not charging enough. The underdrive crank pulley, if I am correct, should make all your accessories spin faster. The reason for this, I think, would be that the crank pulley is doing all the pulling, therefore, a smaller crank pulley, spins faster, and should pull everything else faster. If you get an underdrive alt pulley though, it will be pulled at the same speed as always, thus, it will spin less due to its size. Someone please correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited by Valley olds : 12-29-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
whiterider00
GLS member

i think youre right...we'll just have to see when i get them installed. thanks for all the input.