Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 02-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
BJT'sAlero3.4
GX Member

BJT'sAlero3.4 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Amp & speakers install

I have a '99 3.4 coupe-I have a bandpass box with 2 12" American Pros and a Clarion headunit. I have also replaced the reardeck speakers with Boss 6 x 9's. First off, I just have the subs wired with the rear speakers to get a bit xtra bass. I am waiting for warm weather to install a Clarion APX1300 mono amp and JBL 4 x 6 2-way door speakers. My Q's are: When I am wiring the power wire from the amp to battery, where should I run the wire through? I want something basic, but also hidden. I know to go under the kick panel and under the seats, but what about the firewall? Do I go through there? As for the front door speakers, am I going to just be able to take out the factory and just "plop" the aftermarket ones in? Thx
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...sin99Alero.jpg
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...tin99Alero.jpg
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...=071107001.jpg
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...nt=2508006.jpg
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...nt=2508004.jpg
BJT'sAlero3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you seriously powering the subs off the rear speakers? Or do you mean that you pulled the RCA signal from them? I hope to god that it is the latter. The former will not only damage your subs but your stock amp as well. And yes run the power wire through the fire wall on the driver's side. If you look to the left of the fuse box under the hood you will see a grommet you can run the wire through.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
Are you seriously powering the subs off the rear speakers? Or do you mean that you pulled the RCA signal from them? I hope to god that it is the latter. The former will not only damage your subs but your stock amp as well. And yes run the power wire through the fire wall on the driver's side. If you look to the left of the fuse box under the hood you will see a grommet you can run the wire through.

Ditto. I hope you didn't tap into your wires from your 6x9's. You won't be getting "xtra bass" but you will be getting extra crappy signal.

And on the front speaker question. Yes you can just cut off the wires to the stock speaker and attach them to the new speakers.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
You really should unhook them subs right away.

You wont damage the sub but you run a VERY high risk of blowing the internal amplifier on your head unit.

You should be able to drop them plates right into the plastic compartments that house the front speakers. I would cut the ends off but rather buy the two piece wire taps.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Onewing91
GX Member

Onewing91 is on a distinguished road
Oh, and if you cant find anywhere on the driver's side to run the cable through, under the carpet on the passenger side carpet in the front, there is a hole in the firewall (that's where my power cable is ran through) and yeah, unhook the subs from the rear wires, its Really bad for ur unit.

"I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

3400 SFI V6 Mod: WAI, LEDs inside, 12" MPL Subs, Kenwood Amp, Clear Corners, nothing major
Onewing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
LOL thats something new for me hahahah

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

I run my power right thru the big grommet. I poked my own hole into it and pushed the wire thru.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
BJT'sAlero3.4
GX Member

Red face

ok, subs r unhooked and 1 door speaker is in. Had a little problem with it not staying on with the original screws. Eventually got it. Another Q: Do all the Alero's have the Monsoon Amp in them? I checked in the trunk under the carpet on the left side, is this the right location? Also, I don't think my rear speakers r that loud, I have it turned up to 25 on my headunit and that is as far as I can go b4 it sounds distorted, is that suppose to be right?
BJT'sAlero3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Not all Alero's have the Monsoon. Just hope yours doesnt.

The rear speakers are nothing fancy. They are just paper whizzer coned speakers. I dont even think they have a tweeter. If they do its nothing fancy either, lol.

Your best to stay focused with your front sound stage and forget the rears. Besides killing your sound stage and SQ they get in the way of pushing a sub box up in by your seats
Old 03-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
Malix
GX Member

Malix is on a distinguished road
Q: What year did they start adding monsoon to Alero? Also, not to brag, but I have turned up all my volume and never get distortion.

Malix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malix View Post
Q: What year did they start adding monsoon to Alero? Also, not to brag, but I have turned up all my volume and never get distortion.

Thats pretty much impossible. Whats probable is your not picking out the distortion. Hell even with some very high end equipment I still could get distortion but it had to be well above the 3/4 threshold.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
Onewing91
GX Member

Onewing91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Not all Alero's have the Monsoon. Just hope yours doesnt.

The rear speakers are nothing fancy. They are just paper whizzer coned speakers. I dont even think they have a tweeter. If they do its nothing fancy either, lol.

Your best to stay focused with your front sound stage and forget the rears. Besides killing your sound stage and SQ they get in the way of pushing a sub box up in by your seats

It's not hard to replace the rear speakers too, if you want a better sound from them, That's the first thing I did with my car, (I was waiting for my deck to come in), I replaced the stock ones with Pioneer Blue Series 300w speakers, I might connect them to an amp later, but for now, their just replacing the stock and hooked up through the monsoon, which is another thing, why doesn't anyone like the monsoon? I like mine, it made (before I got my subs) my whole system louder than all my friends' stock systems... idk, anyhow, yeah, just replace the worthless rear ones, its not even hard to do. Oh and I almost forgot, I'm not sure when they started adding the monsoon, but just look behind the carpeting in your trunk on the drivers side and it should be bolted to the trunk right there, that being if it has a monsoon of course.

"I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

3400 SFI V6 Mod: WAI, LEDs inside, 12" MPL Subs, Kenwood Amp, Clear Corners, nothing major
Onewing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Why hate the monsoon?

Because its just anothe PITA thing to bypass. Reality of the situation is any stock car audio items suck the big one, end of story. All stock speakers suck. Infinity, Bose, monsoon, etc. All factory amps suck (same brands). All factory head units blow, with the exception of the McIntosh line in Subaru's and in GT40's...

If your replacing the HU theres absolutely 0 reason to use a very sub par amp such as the stock amps. Even a $20 BOSS/Pyramid amp is more than likely better...

Being "loud" isnt always better- infact it rarely is. What about distortion?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
BJT'sAlero3.4
GX Member

Does anyone have a pic of the stock amp in the trunk? Also, does anyone have pics of where you ran the power wire through the firewall? Then pics of where it came out from?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
Sir Alero
GX Member

Sir Alero is on a distinguished road
Yeah I could also really use a picture of the firewall grommet people are using. I found one that you're probably talking about but I'll be damned if I can actually reach it from the engine side.
Sir Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Do it from inside the car then silly.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
Jaymz88
GX Member

Jaymz88 is on a distinguished road
Some pictures would be of great help actually, are you guys talking about the grommet where the steering column goes through?
Jaymz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Yup. Big ass thing. Just poke a hole in it and push the wire thru.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
Beholder88
GL Member

Beholder88 is on a distinguished road
It's not where the steering column goes thru, its the huge grommet with a million wires going through it to your engine. The come from the ECU and BCU and most of them go to the fuse box or sensors on the engine. There is usually enough extra room to get a fairly decent size power wire through there.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
does any thing need to be used to seal if after pushed thourgh, water etc
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote