Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Psyfox
GX Member

Psyfox is on a distinguished road
Apparently in Missouri clearing your corners isn't legal?

Yeah...went to the license bureau today and asked about it and got shot down, apparently that orange cover is required. Also, I went to the county next to mine's police station and asked if they had an ordinance against underglow, and they told me that I couldn't even have them on the car. But good news is I think the lady was just being a bitch and it's up to the cops' discretion, because my neighbor who used to work for my county told me he called it in once and they told him not to ticket it.

Good news is I don't think the county I go to college in really cares about underglow at all, so I'll be big pimpin' over there. So I'm definitely following through with the underglow.

Any opinions on the CYC? - Should I clear them anyway and get amber bulbs?

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Psyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
Clear corners are illegal in every state. it just the fact that its such a subtle mod that NO ONE is going to notice it. as for the underglow red blue and green i think are illegal in every state. because the red and blue seem like an ambulance or police and the red and green seem like stop lights. and im pretty sure its illegal in most states to drive with any color underglow. However. you can have any color underglow and have it on as long as you are parked and not moving. a cop here tried to give one of my friends a ticket for red underglow when he was parked and she had to call in and then she ended up being wrong and seemed like a dumbass. when i had my alero i had cleared corners and silver star turn signals and i used 194 amber bulbs in the corner.. theres clear in there now. with the tiny yellow bulb you really couldnt notice it when it was off and when it was on it was bright yellow so no cop knew the corners didnt have the reflectors..
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
Clearing your corners is illegal, EVERYWHERE!!!
No ones gonna pull you over for it though, since on Alero's, its such a small piece.
Just make sure the lights behind it work and your set.
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Psyfox
GX Member

Well I feel like a dumbass now. Thanks for the reassurance, I'll go for it.

And really? Green is looked down upon? I mean I can see why, but still, I would think that red/blue/white would be there only main concerns due to the emergency vehicles. Oh well...screw it...I'm doing both. Aleromod.com FTW! I love this community, lol.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Psy,
Listen to the two above, they know what they are talking about. Now advice from me being that I am the criminal justice student and can advise you of your rights along with multiple laws regarding motor vehicles... As long as you have a bulb that burns amber in the corner, they CANNOT cite you for it as you have removed a plastic piece on YOUR car. As long as the bulb in its pace is the SAME color as the plastic piece you removed then you are okay. (for example) you want to remove the red plastic piece from your taillights, you HAVE TO use a red bulb.

The underglow IS ILLEGAL in all states no matter the color, its considered a distraction to other drivers on the road. If you get underglow, do like I did and get the remote kit. KEEP YOUR KEYS IN YOUR POCKET, and then show off. When the cop comes to you and wants to complain SLOWLY reach in your pocket and show him your keys. THe reason behind this is that if you keys are IN the car (no matter if they are in the seat) you are considered a potential drive-off and COULD BE charged with avaiding arrest. WHATEVER you do be polite to the officer and more than likely they will reciprocate the mannerism and leave without saying anything.

Ask anybody that was at ASS 09, I had my underglow going when the cop pulled up the night manwhore shined his brights at the cop. However I had my keys in my back pocket. The cop didnt say a word to me or anything about my lights.
-Smurf-

Oh yeah, BEFORE you clear your corners, go to autozone and look in the headlight/bulb section. Pick up the 194 amber leds. This is what I did and they are clear bulbs during the day and burn a nice amber at night. LOL

Last edited by PappaSmurf : 06-29-2009 at 08:02 PM.
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam337 View Post
Clear corners are illegal in every state. it just the fact that its such a subtle mod that NO ONE is going to notice it. as for the underglow red blue and green i think are illegal in every state.

here in kansas its only red and flashing that's illegal
wrestlingandrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Must only be for the front corners then. Because many newer cars come with cleared taillights from the factory and are legal nationwide.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Crazytaxi37
The Dark Lord

Crazytaxi37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Crazytaxi37
The illegal part of clearing your corners is that you are removing the only reflectors on the front of your alero.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
Psyfox
GX Member

Smurf,

Good to know, and thanks for the info, clearing my corners is game on in this case.

I was planning on working the underglow off of a switch from the inside of my car, do you know if I can still apply a remote kit to that as well or is it one or the other (I'm thinking as long as I keep the circuit closed the remote should work with it as well...almost treating the switch as a breaker)? Then again, if I get the remote there's no point to having the switch.

How much do remote kits usually run (I thought I saw one on Oznium for $40)? I have a LiteGlow underbody kit if that helps to specify what will work...then again I haven't opened the package for it, it might include one (says includes control module, but I don't think that means remote).

What say you?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
PappaSmurf
GLS member

I say send that crap back. LOL
I hate lite glow as they are cheaply made and will burn out in about a couple of months. I had three sets from them and they all went within an 8 month period. I bought my LED kit from iceled.com and paid the extra to get the remote kit that came with it. I think I paid 71 dollars and some odd change total with shipping included.

Also the control module is NOT the remote. The control module is what allows you to turn it on and off and change patterns if your allows this operation. I can do all of the above said with the little remote. The cool thing about mine is it came with two remotes. I leave one in the car and one at home, just in case. LOL
-Smurf-
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Psyfox
GX Member

Damn...sad to hear that because shipping is probably gonna take forever to get to me, but good to know that LiteGlow sucks...I had a feeling. I'll look into iceled and oznium and see what goes. I'll probably lean towards iceled since you suggest it.

How should I return the LiteGlow kit?...I got it from AAS and haven't touched the box? Just take it to the post office and they should be able to tell me?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I was under the impression that if you had an amber blub in a clear corner you're fine.

"Neon Control Device" are what they are called in PA and yes they are illegal. However I got pulled over for it in NJ and didn't get a ticket or anything.

I got pulled over for it in Philly, which surprised me. The cop stormed up to my car and banged, I mean really banged on the window and yelled at me about it. I was told that I was getting a break, for now, and if it was on my car as of tomorrow even parked in front of my house, I'd get a ticket mailed to me for $100. This was at 10:30 PM. I took it off as soon as I got home.

That night at 12:04 AM the same cop drove by my house, stopped, got out of his cruiser, and looked at my license plate (had one of those neon plate frames) got back in his car and drove away. It was defently him. I didn't see him but my parents did. I got pulled over about a mile from my house, but in a different district (7th distrct and I lived in the 2nd) and the cars are clearly marked for which district they are in. It was a 7th district cruiser.

BTW this was with my Cougar, not my Alero. This happened in 1996

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Ken,
The clear corners are fine AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SAME COLOR BULB to replace where the orange plastic piece went. It is the same crap as the lense repair tape, if they want to get technical. YOu can drive with trasparent tape over your lenses as long as you want and the SAME COLOR bulb is the same principal.

The neons or LEDs are considered a distraction to other drivers, that is why they get you into trouble.
You were there standing next to the cop that showed up at ASS, did he say anything about mine, adn mine were inthe scanning pattern? And oh, I also have a blue LED backlit license plate hidden behind my personalized front plate that glows when the underbodies are on. LOL
-Smurf-
Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I got pulled over for it in Philly, which surprised me. The cop stormed up to my car and banged, I mean really banged on the window and yelled at me about it. I was told that I was getting a break, for now, and if it was on my car as of tomorrow even parked in front of my house, I'd get a ticket mailed to me for $100. This was at 10:30 PM. I took it off as soon as I got home.

That night at 12:04 AM the same cop drove by my house, stopped, got out of his cruiser, and looked at my license plate (had one of those neon plate frames) got back in his car and drove away. It was defently him. I didn't see him but my parents did. I got pulled over about a mile from my house, but in a different district (7th distrct and I lived in the 2nd) and the cars are clearly marked for which district they are in. It was a 7th district cruiser.

BTW this was with my Cougar, not my Alero. This happened in 1996

And to think, of all the real criminals they avoided pursuing because you would have been an easier score.

I remember like 1998ish, I was in ion's hood on telegraph road, and my oldsmobile cutlass supreme got stolen. Called police, they came and took a report, and asked which way they went. I didn't know for sure of course, but I instinctively pointed down dartmouth road towards inktown, because it was a 99% probability. So about 3 minutes later I see what looked like the same cops in the mcdonalds drive thru about 100 yards away. I walked over and it WAS them, so I asked if they found my car yet, and if they could get me out of the 5 over ticket that their department wrote me a few days back. They were so speechless, they even stopped chewing their big macs while I was talking to them about not doing their jobs.

Never saw my stolen car again. But when I went to pay the 5 over ticket, it had already been dismissed
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
The neons or LEDs are considered a distraction to other drivers, that is why they get you into trouble.

anything like that is considered stunting it kinda seems dumb but they'll give you a ticket for stunting because of your music being too loud in the car before they give a ticket for noise... up here at least.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #16
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
go to www.streetglow.com im not sure the exact link but you can look up laws on underglow
by state
wrestlingandrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Ken,
The clear corners are fine AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SAME COLOR BULB to replace where the orange plastic piece went. It is the same crap as the lense repair tape, if they want to get technical. YOu can drive with trasparent tape over your lenses as long as you want and the SAME COLOR bulb is the same principal.

You were there standing next to the cop that showed up at ASS, did he say anything about mine, adn mine were inthe scanning pattern? And oh, I also have a blue LED backlit license plate hidden behind my personalized front plate that glows when the underbodies are on. LOL
-Smurf-

Point one: That's exactly what I thought. Had clears for 7 years now.

Point two: Very true, this is why they are illegal

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #18
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
Quote:
Ken,
The clear corners are fine AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE SAME COLOR BULB to replace where the orange plastic piece went.
-Smurf-

they can also cite you when the car is off.. because you have no reflector in the front of your car (the bulbs dont really reflect..) you need to have a reflector in the front and back.. if the cops a rooster and actually pays attention to cite you for that.
Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #19
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
As long as you have a bulb that burns amber in the corner, they CANNOT cite you for it as you have removed a plastic piece on YOUR car. As long as the bulb in its pace is the SAME color as the plastic piece you removed then you are okay. (for example) you want to remove the red plastic piece from your taillights, you HAVE TO use a red bulb

Actually, per the FMVSS regulations, there has to be an orange reflector viewable from the side of the car in the front. The color of the bulb is irrelevant.

Also, no red bulbs are legal last I checked.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #20
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam337 View Post
they can also cite you when the car is off.. because you have no reflector in the front of your car (the bulbs dont really reflect..) you need to have a reflector in the front and back.. if the cops a dink and actually pays attention to cite you for that.

Actually this is false, They CANNOT cite you when the car is off because then the car would be considered to be in a non-operational condition. That would be like getting arrested for thinking about committing the crime before it actually took place.

You could fight this in court (AND WIN) if you were cited and wanted to take it that far. I have taken less things to court and won. If the car is standing still and in a non-operational state, they CANNOT cite you for anything. NOT even expired tags, they would have to wait until you got in the car, started it and then moved the car AT LEAST 3 inches from the postion it was parked.
Most people don't know things like this, but MOST FEDERAL laws concerning motor vehicles is approached with the 3" rule. Such as if an officer observes that you are not wearing a sealtbelt, he has to PHYSICALLY observe the car move at least 3" inches before trying to cite you. I learned this one by taking this same EXACT thing to court...I started my car (from a Walmart parking lot), put it in reverse, rolled back maybe an inch or 2 and then stopped to put my seat belt on. I didnt even get the rear end of my car out of the parking space and he blocked me in and cited me for not wearing a seat belt. When he gave me the copy of the citation, I asked that he put his badge number on it. This ENSURES that you have the right officer, as it is ILLEGAL for them to provide citizens with false information...even though it happens.
-Smurf-