Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 10-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Tuse31
GX Member

Tuse31 is on a distinguished road
Headlight mod

Hey guys, I'm planning on clearing my corners and nite shading my headlight bezels tomorrow. While I was planning it out, I thought of an idea for something else I could do. I remember seeing blue LED light strips at walmart and was wondering if there would be a possible way to wire them to light up like in an Audi R8, as shown here: http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...ght%20led#i=11

How would I go about wiring it and what about legality? It's just an idea. I believe others have thought of something similar. What do you guys think? Should I try it? Or just stick with the clear corners and tinted bezels?

EDIT: I saw something about a fuse tap and a wire coupler on another forum. How would I go about doing that? If possible..

Thanks!

-Tom

Last edited by Tuse31 : 10-16-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Tuse31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Blue lights in the front of a car, impersonating a cop, big fine

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
dont use VHT on your bezels use nice like gloss black paint. i used Valspar primer and gloss black paint from lowes. it looks good.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Tuse31
GX Member

Yeah very true Redog... blue wouldn't be smart at all.. Thank you for pointing that out. Would white work? I think the autozone or oreilly near me has white LED strips. And ok I have some gloss Krylon I think. Would that work?

Last edited by Tuse31 : 10-16-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
yep. White LEDs would look ok.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
who started this niteshades on the bezel idea? some one else wanted to do it too. i just went home depot and bought a can of quick color paint, never had an issue. 2 bucks
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
nightshades over the chrome wud give like a black chrome look. some people might prefer that over completely black.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Tuse31
GX Member

Well I would be going for the black chrome look but I went and got some duplicolor gloss black enamel for them instead. (I realized I was out of Krylon) Niteshades likes to bubble and fade I've noticed. Also walmart has some white LED strips that can be cut and shaped. I may do I write up for this mod if anyone is interested?

I am still wondering about the fuse tap and wire coupler though. Anybody have any advice about that? (maybe Cherry?)
Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
run from a spare fuse in your fuse panel to a toggle switch somewhere, then from there to the heads, if you dont have a sunroof, i know there is a spare fuse on the passenger panel that a lot of ppl use, already has power supplied to it, simply wire in your switch, then go to the led's. easy as pie lol
Old 10-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Tuse31
GX Member

Well I read somewhere that you can wire it to your parking lights or headlights to just come on whenever those are on. That way, I wouldn't need a spare switch. Is this possible?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
robalero
GLS member

robalero is on a distinguished road
it is, but are you going to solder into the connection? because if not your risking an electrical fire with just using electrical tape and hoping for the best while it gets abused in weather
robalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Tuse31
GX Member

If i was to just wrap the wires around one side of the fuse i would need to solder it, which i've read is one option. I don't know if a fuse tap needs to be soldered, does it?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
here's my audi strips. also did turn signal strips that flash with turn signal bulbs
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

Last edited by alero_bmxer : 12-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.
alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Cashdollar2009
GL Member

Cashdollar2009 is on a distinguished road
Just any cheap black spray paint should do the trick man. I hit mine with some clear after as well. :/
Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuse31 View Post
Yeah very true Redog... blue wouldn't be smart at all.. Thank you for pointing that out. Would white work? I think the autozone or oreilly near me has white LED strips. And ok I have some gloss Krylon I think. Would that work?

i used the gloss krylon black on my first set of headlights, it turned out bad for me. you can try it... but i recommend the valspar spray paint from Lowes.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 10-16-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alero_bmxer View Post
here's my audi strips. also did turn signal strips that flash with turn signal bulbs

thats really tight makes me wanna do mine!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
Tuse31
GX Member

alero_bmxer, that is sweet. haha. Thanks for those pictures. That is exactly what I am looking at doing. How did you go about doing your LED strips?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuse31 View Post
alero_bmxer, that is sweet. haha. Thanks for those pictures. That is exactly what I am looking at doing. How did you go about doing your LED strips?

got some 24 inch side firing LED strips from autozone, took the headlights apart and stuck them on the bottom of the bezel, ran the wire out of the headlight, ran that to a toggle switch and done
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
bmxer, you got any more pics like a complete front pic and a close up one, as well as a distance pic to see whats it looks like at a distance? really contemplating on doing this or not but looks pretty intertesting
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
alero_bmxer
GL Member

some shitty night pics. will get better ones during the day tomorrow.

Last edited by alero_bmxer : 12-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.