Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Possible Alernator Issues

I think that my alternator is starting to go on me. When I go in my car this morning I turned the heat to max and I turned on my defroster and the interior lights dimmed and my headlights dimmed for a second. When I rev my engine or start accelerating, everything operates normally. I'm also noticing a rough idle so I'm thinking my injectors aren't being supplied enough voltage. Isn't the battery indicator in the cluster supposed to go off if my alternator isnt supply enough current? I was thinking of getting a HO alternator soon enough anyways.
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
check the grounds and battery connections

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Nah, if it's supplying power it won't light the battery light... obviously just not enough though.

Check your running voltage.. should be about 13.5V or above.

Otherwise getting the alt checked and properly load tested is usually pretty cheap at a shop.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
With the fans blasting all the way and the defrost on my car has been acting this way for 3 years. I wouldn't worry about it yet.
Mike The Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Your car doesn't necessarily charge the battery at idle. When you load it down with the defrosters at idle, you are probably discharging the battery,
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch1 View Post
Nah, if it's supplying power it won't light the battery light... obviously just not enough though.

Check your running voltage.. should be about 13.5V or above.

Otherwise getting the alt checked and properly load tested is usually pretty cheap at a shop.

Should I get roughly 13.5V at idle with my defroster and heater on full blast?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

So I've found out that my alternator is crapping out on me. It's getting pretty hot to the point where you can't touch it for long. Whats a good amp rating for a High output alternator? I'm running a subwoofer and an amp already and I intend on getting another amp for my speakers. Also would an overdrive pulley decrease HP?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
I have a 04' with stock Alt and my car has lower heater power and light power at idle rather than 1K+ rpms even in 1st gear. This has been going on since I bought it a year ago, and I run 2 12"s constantly. I would agree your Alt. is probably going bad, but an overdrive pulley sounds out of mean for your application, I personally would get a HO alt as I will be replacing my stock Alt with one. Funny thing is I have seen TONS of stock Alts. and OEM replacements on many vehicles handle heavy, heavy loads....I'm talking about 4 12"s, 2 1K amps, LED's lighting floors, subs, dash, vents, strobe in headlamps, all running OEM replac. under the hood without illegal dimming of ext. lights.

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Well I guess it depends on the car and the stock alternator amperage rating. I know the 3400's alternator is 105 amps. I'm just wondering if upgrading to something in the 170 amp range is too much. I'm going out tomorrow to get the alt changed just to get it outta the way. Just thought I'd do some last minute research.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Stickybuddz420
GX Member

Stickybuddz420 is on a distinguished road
http://www.powerbastards.com/products.asp?cat=2325

That is listing a 220A for my 04' 3.4L, So I'm guessing it would have NO problems with a 170A HO Alt.

No More Cobalts - 2 12" Punch HE2's
1100W BOSS CHAOS Mono Amp
Stickybuddz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickybuddz420 View Post
I have a 04' with stock Alt and my car has lower heater power and light power at idle rather than 1K+ rpms even in 1st gear. This has been going on since I bought it a year ago, and I run 2 12"s constantly. I would agree your Alt. is probably going bad, but an overdrive pulley sounds out of mean for your application, I personally would get a HO alt as I will be replacing my stock Alt with one. Funny thing is I have seen TONS of stock Alts. and OEM replacements on many vehicles handle heavy, heavy loads....I'm talking about 4 12"s, 2 1K amps, LED's lighting floors, subs, dash, vents, strobe in headlamps, all running OEM replac. under the hood without illegal dimming of ext. lights.

It would take several hundred LEDs in a car before your alt even noticed the current draw from them.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote