Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Brett
GX Member

Brett is on a distinguished road
Misfire Problem

Hey all,

I know I'm new, and I didn't create an account to ask a question... but I've been drinking so here it is!

2.2L 5speed alero, misfires at low RPM.

if I leave it in neutral, and grab the throttle under the hood and dump it? Misfire.

going 20-30km around a corner in 2nd gear and just dump throttle and clutch? Misfire. I used to be able to squawk tires a this.

It's pissing me off so much. I hooked it up to a scanner after a particularly rude bout of misfiring, and the car threw no codes.

I've been told it's the ignition pack on top of the ecotec. Anyone confirm/better suggestion?
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
how are the spark plugs? What about the fuel filter? How many miles on it?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
It's pissing me off so much. I hooked it up to a scanner after a particularly rude bout of misfiring, and the car threw no codes.

I've been told it's the ignition pack on top of the ecotec. Anyone confirm/better suggestion?

FINALLY!!
I am sorry this is happening to you but ive been waiting for this to happen to somebody else so that I could finally lend my ecotec knowledge.

I can say from what you have said that it is indeed the ignition module atop of the engine. This happened to me last year and one of the cylinders was misfiring and i brought it to a mechanic and it costed $280!!!!!!!!

But all you need to do is get a new ignition module and i think youll be all set.
Its so easy to replace. (its easier than replacing your spark plugs)

Good luck and I hope this is what was wrong so you can be back to squakin those tires
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
TaurineMike
GX Member

TaurineMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
FINALLY!!
I am sorry this is happening to you but ive been waiting for this to happen to somebody else so that I could finally lend my ecotec knowledge.

I can say from what you have said that it is indeed the ignition module atop of the engine. This happened to me last year and one of the cylinders was misfiring and i brought it to a mechanic and it costed $280!!!!!!!!

But all you need to do is get a new ignition module and i think youll be all set.

Good luck and I hope this is what was wrong so you can be back to squakin those tires

I had the same problem and found out it was my plug wires. Replaced them and worked fine or at least that was what was wrong with mine.

Mods in the making: 65mm Throttle body, B&M Shift Kit, Spyder3 hood scoop, HP Tuner??, Pacesetter Header, Magnaflow High Flow cat, and Catback Exhaust System

Unfortunately there is no misplacement for displacement.
TaurineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
FINALLY!!

it maybe easier to replace but without a scan tool to show live missfire data to acompany testing, plugs and wires (eco has wires?) would be cheaper and in theory when guessing like this should almost always be the first thing to check.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Brett
GX Member

Plugs and fuel filter have both been replaced in the last 6 months. She was giving me a hard time starting so I replaced those then.

it's 177k.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

id still recommend atleast checking them. a lot can happen in 6 months. esspecialy on a high millage motor.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute

did you replace those boots that are sticking out of the bottom of this piece...they work as your spark plug wire
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Brett
GX Member

Can I actually replace the boots separate from the unit or is it all one piece?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
the boots are replaced separate they are $6-7 a piece
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Brett
GX Member

Sweet can I just pick those up from GM?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
03glgold
GLS member

you can probably get them there...i got mine from orielly's