Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBLOHM3400 View Post
also i would look into some welding classes best thing that i did

no need.....just get a lot of sheet metal to practice on. like he said earlier, he took some classes a few years ago. So he knows the basics
Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #22
chevymuscle218
GX Member

chevymuscle218 is on a distinguished road
I love my arc weilder, def. get a 220. I would go with a mig though, i wish I had one. My opinion, I like Lincoln. College classes for weilding shouldnt be to bad. The basics should be enough to get you used to the weilder and learn about the different types and use them.
chevymuscle218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #23
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
like some one said before MIG is the best way to weld, its stronger, like what do you think the factory does to this day??? MIG!!!!, with panle bond, or resistant spot welding which bascilly is a mig welder

i love miller welders, i have one we use them at the shop, just overall cant be beat, mac tools welders used to be made by miller, so if ya find one of those ya got a miller

i can tell you this both pieces of metal have to be clean bare metal, a good soild ground, and when you weld you want it to sound like your frying a egg, when you hear that sound you have a good weld that will penatrate the 2 pieces of metal

when i seam weld i do a half moon motion and i pull back, when i spot weld i start one side of the hole and make a circle around and finish in the middle and pull up

when i get back to work on monday i will do some practice welds and post pics to show you
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
ALERO81
GX Member

ALERO81 is on a distinguished road
Thanks bdyman !
So would you stay away from the arc welders ? as I said before I can get a great deal on one, But then again if its not going to work for what I want to do then its not that great of a deal ...
ALERO81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
yes for welding on cars, ya we dont use arc welding no more, the metal is to thin, mig or tig is the way to , tig you will get allot cleaner weld, once you get good with a mig you will make a weld look like it was done with a tig
Old 01-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #26
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
It depends on what you're using it for. A low amperage MIG would be better for thin metal if that's what you'll be welding most often. With stick welding, it takes a lot of practice to make a good weld, plus the welding rods are too big for thin metal and you'll end up blowing a hole in it. But if you get a stick machine, you can make it a TIG machine with an Argon bottle, a gauge, and some hose, but like others have said, it takes awhile to get used to, and awhile longer to get good at it.

For general purpose/thin gauge type stuff, a MIG machine with the option of using gas would be your best bet.

I have a 110v no gas MIG gun and I use .30 fluxcore wire that works just fine for welding 16 guage exhaust tubing.

A couple guys mentioned the MIG makes a stronger weld. Stronger than what? Doesn't matter if it's MIG, TIG or stick, if you're using the right size rod/filler wire and the right heat/amperage for the metal you're welding, you can make a good, strong weld on every pass. Different welding processes will be better for different jobs.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #27
bdyman
GLS member

mig is stronger then say tig, why use a flux core welder when the gas is there to not only shield but clean the metal as you weld

every car on the road is mig welded together,and with the use of panle bond, up in the "sail panle" is a laser guided mig seam, have you ever tried to break aprt a weld on a car,

tig welding is as strong but its just a fancier way to weld, gives a cleaner weld, lead brazing, and arc welding are a thing of the past in the automotive field, i havent see or used neither of those methods since the late 80`s

mig welding is faster, more versitile, the weld is a strong and if not stronger when welded through panle bond, what do ya think resistant spot welders are, its a mig welder, and what do you think car are assembled using, a mig or a resistant spot welder

mig is the overall best and easy welder to use its not just for thin metal, thats where experience comes into play, i can weld on my mig, close to 1/4 plate steel, and have penetration, and then dial it back down for 16-18 gauage metal, mig welding is the best way to weld
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #28
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Cars are MIG welded because it's fast and easy. Load up the robotic gun with 20 miles of filler wire and let it go to work. Do you really think automotive companies would pay a couple people to TIG weld everything when they can let one robotic MIG gun on an assembly line turn out 20X as much production as 5 skilled welders?

I use a fluxcore mig welder because it was cheap, and it's easy. My machine doesn't have provisions for gas, so that's not an option. The gas doesn't clean the metal, all it does is shield the arc and keep the air out of the weld so there's less chance of porosity and a weaker weld. A grinder cleans the metal before you even strike an arc.

There's no doubt that MIG is the easiest process to learn, but it is not the strongest by any means. TIG, yes it may be "fancy" as you say, but it'll make a weld just as strong and sometimes stronger than a MIG. Like I said, it all depends on the job to do. MIG, TIG or stick will all have their advantages and disadvantages for different jobs.

Now stick welding, yes it may be a thing of the past for automotive applications, but it's the most common form of welding in other applications. 90% of the welding I do as a boilermaker is stick welding because it's easy to setup, can be just as strong at MIG and TIG, can be performed on multiple types of metal and welding rod is cheap.

Basically as far as the strength of a weld goes, if you have 3 welds, one MIG pass, one TIG pass, and one stick pass, if they're all 100% penetrated, they'll all be equally strong. And slag on the weld's surface is no isssue whatsoever. Grab a chipping hammer, or run a grinder with a wire wheel over it...the slag comes right off and leaves a clean looking weld.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #29
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
We have a mig for in shop purposes, but out in the field, it's stick welding just do to the fact that the stick welding works better on rusty metal and will weld better in the wind.....
Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #30
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Good point, that's another thing I forgot to mention. Good luck using shielding gas if there's any kind of draft.