Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Coolant leak, don't think it's the LIMG

Working on the train horn setup today and found out why it's not working, but that's anotehr thread.

I saw coolant on the block today. Not down on the tranny, and nothing's running out of the side by the head like in all the other pics I've seen on the 'mod'

The coolant is puddleing up right under the air intake around the thromo it seems, There is no coolant in the oil, and the coolant is a very healthly shade of pink.

Is it possible that I have a leak from the thromo area? I'm going to shoot over to my mech this week for him to see. I've been smelling the sweetness since Dec. I don't see where it's comming from either. Coolant level is a hair low, and motor is cooling properly, maybe running a bit cool, but it's been cold here too

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
Could be a hose as well. I've had a hose split on my Cavalier and it pissed coolant onto the header. Imagine my shock when I saw smoke from under the hood and that coolant smell. I thought I toasted the engine. Anyways, that's just another thing to look at. Squeeze the hoses (careful, they are hot...lol).

Last edited by Mischief007 : 03-10-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't think of any hoses, good point.

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 03-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

I just looked, and it looks like it's comming from the gaskets in the back of the motor. There is a small trail from the head in the back, thus explains the pool in the block

Which gaskets do I get?

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 03-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
are you sure? dont you have a bigger TB?

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Pimpalero03
V.I.P. Member

Pimpalero03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pimpalero03
is it a head gasket?lol
Pimpalero03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post
are you sure? dont you have a bigger TB?

Yeah 62 mm.

It's just odd that it's the back, at least that's what I think.

I'll show my guy for that professional ideas

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 03-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
You've known you had a coolent leak since december and um it's march? Brings up a little question for me, do the MAKE coolent smell sweet intentionally or is that just a strange coincidence. Maybe kind of like how they add a scent to natural gas...
Ghadsphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghadsphi View Post
You've known you had a coolent leak since december and um it's march? Brings up a little question for me, do the MAKE coolent smell sweet intentionally or is that just a strange coincidence. Maybe kind of like how they add a scent to natural gas...

unintentional. thats jsut the way it is

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghadsphi View Post

They make it sweet smelling on purpose, so that your neighbor's dog will like the taste more.

Ken, I'd take it to the wash and steam clean it down, make sure it's totally full, run it hot and watch for where it's leaking (that way you know it's not old residue from before).

Put on some thick leather work gloves and give them hoses a good solid squeeze while it's hot, and you should see it leak.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
So? I've pretty much known that my LIMG is bad since about december... I don't have the cash for it though... what with moving and all Im pretty much flat broke right now
sorrowfulkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

My mech gave me this power today. No label on the tube he gave me, but told me to dump it in and drive for an hour with the heat on full blast.

He said the leak isn't too bad, so try this first

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #13
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
well, that's what I'd call putting a bandaid on cancer.

Were it me, I'd repair the problem correctly. You dont strike me as the type that would half-ass things when something is wrong.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:56 AM   #14
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I'm with blackjack on this one. When people ask me at work "which (insert fluid here) stop leak works the best?" I usually tell them that the solution is to fix the problem the right way. You should never need any additives if everything works right.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:25 AM   #15
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
they put some powder stuff like that in may car once i think? i dunno what it was for or what was wrong... but we havent had the problem since and its been 30k miles since that
Old 03-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #16
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you have an aftermarket tb did you have to bypass the coolant lines on the rail feeding the tb? if you did are those lines leaking? Im with bj stopleak is only a bandaid, wipe off or spray down the block and then drive it for another few days and see where the leaks come from.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

No I don't like to do things the quick and easy way, but it seems to be working correctly now.

There are no puddles on my engine like before, and the engine temp is staying hotter (closer to norm) and so is the heat.

I'm keeping an eye on it

www.facebook.com/kb0177