Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
2fastshifter
GX Member

2fastshifter is on a distinguished road
Temp=ok, but no pressure in hoses

Hi!
i have changed my headgasket, (and some more)
put everything together, car started like normal . . .woohoo!
no leaks, idle warmup, drove home 10miles, but still the fat radiator hoses are soft.
no pressure inside, heater system works great,
cooling fans starting seems to start a bit early )1/2 of the normal operating temperature,so thats a bit early i think . . . . .
temp gauge was normal on the way home(1/2)
i did nothing to the thermostat, it stayed where it was before, working fine then, so i did not tough it.
i did not disassemble the waterpump. just the three bolds holding the timingchain housing to the waterpump, its sproket stayed in place.just pulled the TCH over it . . . .
the plastic water outlet on the drivers side was a little warm, the hose from it to the radiator remains cold and pressureless . . . .
so i wanna know:
is there some air bubbles in the cooling system?
why is there no pressure in the coolant hoses?
How do i solve this?
thanx, mark.

btw, my A/C was already long time not working, so i can't switch that on to help solve it?. . . . . .

Last edited by 2fastshifter : 12-03-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
How long did you drive it like this??

Sounds like there could be air in the system (causing the thermostat to not work) or the thermostat is broken and isn't opening.. Around 190 the upper rad hose should get warm no doubt.

If you haven't driven it much, do so, and see if it overheats or else works the air out and then DOES open. If it finally opens it just needed a lil bleeding, otherwise if it overheats probably slam a new thermostat in there.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Weird, especially since the car is staying cool.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
2fastshifter
GX Member

hi,
i drove like 10 miles, thermostat has not been dry during the repair, i changed the head with the coolant not entirely out of the engine, i pulled the head off without draining the whole system, sucked out the coolant from cylinder holes until it was a few centimeters below headgasket level in the engine for the proper dry headgasket replacement.
filled it up with only one can of dexcool (4 liters), tank is full.
well i will test drive today and see what happens, and will see if the bleed pipe/line is not clogged.

can it be that air in the system will cause a lack of pressure in the hoses?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
2fastshifter
GX Member

ok, all is well . . . . . .
big fart from coolant system, pressure is coming back in hoses, cold/warm cycles help a lot, driving too.
lots of thanks for this tech forum, you helped me a lot to do a head gasket for the first time on my own.
now drive . . . . . .
Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Did you change the oil after doing the headgasket job?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 12-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I assume so considering you have to drain the oil before removing the timing cover and the head and such..
Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
2fastshifter
GX Member

yep sir! and dirty it was! coolant was clear and clean so i keeped my thermostat and waterpump wet, that's better.
look @ the pics in my other thread.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
turboalero
GX Member

turboalero is on a distinguished road
sounds like the thermostat is staying alil open thats the only way to have no pressure without overheating
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

Sounds like this problem happened over a year ago... and post #5 says he fixed it already.

Closing it.
Closed Thread