Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
voxpopular
GX Member

voxpopular is on a distinguished road
Electrohydraulic power steering?

I've had quite the odyssey with my 2000 2.4L. Got it for $1000 this spring, then the engine started knocking and my grandpa and I tore it apart to find a valve lifter had chipped. That engine wasn't worth rebuilding so we threw in another LD9.

Then on Wednesday, I was driving through the snow and got stuck trying to make it up a hill. After getting pushed out, I discovered I no longer had power steering -- it turns out the cam broke off inside the pump!

I know many cars these days come with full electric power steering, and certain have had electrically-driven hydraulic systems. Is there any EHPS pump that I could "easily" mod into my Alero? That would obviate the need to tear into the engine to try to get the old cam out. I don't even know where I'd find a replacement cam short of buying a junk engine (advice on this is also appreciated). Ironically, we kept the pump from the last engine, but left the cams with it when we returned it to get back the core charge.

I'm at your mercy, guys.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
buy 2.3 "secret cams" used. problem fixed and car upgraded at the same time. as for the pump, i doubt there would be an easy way to put a different one on, but if there is enough money and time, there is a way.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
mbeals
GX Member

mbeals is on a distinguished road
It can be done but it's not a bolt in install. The pumps aren't all that common yet. The one I've seen used is off of the MR2. It is a 12v pump that draws almost 80A at full lock, so you will have to wire in a new high amp, switched circuit. The MR2 pump is also variable speed, but requires a modulated signal to slow it down. So unless you can build a circuit to somehow feed it VSS signal, it will just run at full speed the whole time. I'm also not sure what the internal pressure regulator is set at compared to the design spec of the Alero. You will also have to run custom pressure lines off of the rack. That's not too bad, but still another consideration.

The nice thing is since it is electric, you can mount it virtually anywhere and run a resevoir in a different location. You could also conceivably dial in steering sensitivity or even shut it down on the fly (for whatever reason).

So for an easy work around.....no way. If you want an interesting project and a way to be unique...go for it. Although you will probably be happier with a cam swap (probably cheaper too).
mbeals is offline   Reply With Quote