Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 06-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Dark_GoD

Hey ! little question...

I've been hearing that putting a turbo on our 2.4L isnt a very good idea...
but there's always a way to pu everything safe if you have allot of $$$

So what does it take to turbo it and make it absoluty safe for any kind of punishment...?

i know one day or the other its gonna go but i mean since mine has 30K miles on it id like to keep it in top shape for at least another 30-40k miles

Thanks
Old 06-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Final-Reality

The main points you have to worry about for moderate amounts of boost on the 2.4 (say up to 10-12psi), are the rod bearings, which can't take much abuse and will likely fail after a fairly short amount of time. When you do this, however, most people spend the extra money on stronger aftermarket rods and pistons, just as another safe guard because the stock pistons arent very strong, either, so a good set of forged pistons and rods might as well be added while you've got the engine apart.

The crankshaft is very strong and won't need anything, but again the main bearings might be a good idea to replace while the engine is apart because it's much more expensive to fix once they actually break. :P

Head studs are another good idea to make sure the head doesnt warp from the added pressure, as well as a high quality head gasket (a high quality steel gasket is best for streetability, as copper ones generally don't seal as well).

Other things you have to do to make sure it doesnt run lean and overheat is a good fuel system with an in-line fuel pump, larger injectors, a good FMU and make sure it's properly tuned. It's hard to stress enough how important tuning is to make sure the car runs well throughout the entire RPM range, it can be difficult and it's tedious work but very essential.

While it may not be cheap, doing all of the above on top of the turbo kit will ensure your engine lives a long, happy life under boost. :thumbsup: