Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 10-18-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
Super White Alero

Hey guys, I checked this out at ebay and I thought it was too good to be true
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7927944488&rd=1
maybe you guys can tell me have you been paid less than 150 for a borla muffler.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
it has borla in the name, but i'm pretty sure that isnt a borla. it looks like another fart can
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
It's just a generic fart cannon muffler and they guy slapped borla in the description to make the ricer kids think its a high quality part, but it's not.

Just get the SLP and be happy. It's an easy install to do yourself too.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Def a ricer muffler

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:27 AM   #5
Super White Alero

it was the price that got me looking at it first, but then I never borla don't run for anything below $150, and I wasn't really interested in the 3" exhaust just the dual tips that I liked.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
tenny

it says Borla Style though, its not a borla.

the shipping would jump the price waaaaaay up too.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #7
|Rev|

^ yeah, borla style, not borla its self. You'll get what you pay for, and a really ricey sound
Old 10-18-2004, 01:01 PM   #8
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
It says right on the site that it is a PERFORMANCE-R Borla Style not Borla. wouldnt be to worried about a ricey sound becuase just about every muffler out there with glass packing which most performance mufflers do they all pretty much sound the same. On my Cutlass Ciera I had a Glass Pack which everyone knows was the original performance muffler that has been in use since the 1950's and it sounded just the same as my ricey type glass pack muffler that is on my Alero. The sound also depends on what type of motor you have chances are if you have a 4 banger you will have a more ricey sound than a V6 or a V8. Basically if you just have a glass packed muffler the natural sound of you exhaust leaving your car is just being amplified by the shape of the muffler and the glass packing. Even the performance Muffler brands such as Borla, Dynomax, and Flowmaster make ricey style mufflers.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #9
flalero

Yeah, I don't get why you guys call that "another ricey fart can" or what ever. That kind of pisses me off. There are quite a few guys on here that have a style of muffler similar to that, including me. It in no way sounds ricey or looks ricey. I've had many a person tell me my car sounds awesome, and even a few tell me it sounds like a V8 at idle. Besides the jokes on you. You are robbing horsepower anyway by putting extra curves and a huge muffler in your exhaust. I guarantee I got more hp out of my straight thru "ricer" muffler. Besides, why do you need "dual exhaust" if it is truly not dual? There is really no point in having two exhaust exit points unless you have a header back, true dual set up. Oh and no, that is not a borla, although they do make a style like that. Says right in the title "Borla Turbo Style."
Old 10-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #10
1WhiteOSV

We want dual because it looks and sounds nice......but there is nothing wrong with your style either. I am just saying. Everyone has their preferences on looks.

Quote:
Just get the SLP and be happy. It's an easy install to do yourself too.
--SmokinAMD
Quote:
I guarantee I got more hp out of my straight thru "ricer" muffler.
--Flalero

Also, I hope your's is a full cat back because if it is just the muffler, then I promise the SLP will have better HP gains.

Adam
Old 10-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #11
bnight04
GLS member

bnight04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bnight04
^^ i agree, dual looks sweet
Old 10-20-2004, 08:14 AM   #12
flalero

Yeah, I do like the dual look, but I was just making a point. Yes, almost all of my piping has been replaced with 2.5", except for the bend that goes up and over the suspension. That will come when I get a high flow cat welded back in. Right now there is no cat at all. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like a dik earlier, it just kind of erks me. How often do you see an import with a muffler like that. More often than not, you see a muffler that looks like a coffee can. That's what I consider a "ricer" muffler.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #13
BDizzle

well from my stand point, it sounds like youall have nice looking/sounding aleros. Even if it makes you made by whatever someone is saying about what you like...you should take pride in what you got. Everything else is dirt off your shoulders. Ya know? Some of you guys trip out too easy. Relax. Just have fun. :thumbsup:
Old 10-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #14
1WhiteOSV

It's all good bro....and I, too, agree that the coffee can-style mufflers are "ricey" but even they sound good on the alero so I really don't care...any exhaust (arguably) is better than stock. lol..

Adam
Old 10-20-2004, 11:32 AM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i have a so-called "ricey muffler" but i don't give a poop cuz it's my car it sounds awesome....nice and throaty...and i think it looks nice.....IMO do what you want not what other people want...cuz its your car and you are gonna have to live with it....
Old 10-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #16
|Rev|

Quote:
Originally posted by 99Alero_Boy@Oct 20 2004, 03:32 PM
i have a so-called "ricey muffler" but i don't give a poop cuz it's my car it sounds awesome....nice and throaty...and i think it looks nice.....IMO do what you want not what other people want...cuz its your car and you are gonna have to live with it....
:rolleyes:

haha jk jk, I still gotta hear this new exaust!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #17
1WhiteOSV

Quote:
Originally posted by 99Alero_Boy@Oct 20 2004, 03:32 PM
IMO do what you want not what other people want...cuz its your car and you are gonna have to live with it....
exactly :thumbsup:
Old 10-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #18
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to have a "ricey muffler" on my car. It was freakin huge. It had 2 3.5" tips on it. I thought that it sounded great. I have a doglegged SLP on there now. The sound with the "ricey muffler" wasn't as nearly as raspy as the SLP.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:57 AM   #19
flalero

Yeah, it's your car, so pick what you want. I agree with everyone that's already posted, you can put just about muffler on our car and it will sound good. More displacement makes for a better sound.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:05 PM   #20
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
I think raspy exhausts sound like poop all it sounds like to me is that you have a leak in your muffler that you need to plug up with some welding. a full welded system done right should not be raspy sounding it should be load and deep sounding if it actaully has a raspy sound then there is something wrong with it. And i do have to admit mine sounds raspy when I rev my engine but I do have small pin hole leaks where I welded the muffler on.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote