Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 07-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
tr4v1sf
GX Member

tr4v1sf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tr4v1sf
automatic trans max horsepower

i was just wondering how much hp the stock automatic transmission can handle i remember hearing 300 but thats probably wrong also is there any upgrades to the automatic transmission other than the b&m shift kit thing such as other transmissions thanks
tr4v1sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
LSD (limited slip differential)
Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
boostnsrt

where can i get an LSD and how much do people usually charge to install one?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
the boys over on nbodypower will better be able to answer this.
as for the availability of the lsd, Quaife makes one i'm pretty sure, but it's a pretty penny. then you have to pay for install.
i got my lsd insert from team green over on j-body.org for i think 150. it will do the same thing and can handle the power that we're producing. as far as clutch plates and things like that, i'm not sure on the power handling.
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
boostnsrt

i have the automatic. any clue how much it will take stock? im gonna have a mild build. around 200-215 at the wheels.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
jbody has a group buy for team green lsd, check it out
Old 07-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
I think the group buy for the LSD is over but team green can still get you one but not at the group buy price, he said he'll get me one for about 200 something. Now I have to find a place to install it at a good price since Im not good with trannys. Or if you are really looking to put numbers down I say switch to a 5-speed or just rebuild you auto.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
yea just spend countless hours of fab work like blackjack

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostnsrt View Post
i have the automatic. any clue how much it will take stock? im gonna have a mild build. around 200-215 at the wheels.

Should be OK. If you have the same tranny as the V6's do, I guesstimate that's what I'm putting down, however I did blow one tranny, but it was the convertor that blew out

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
it's not "how much HP can it handle".

It's "how much torque can it handle"

if you have the 4t45e, the answer is factory rated for 260 ft/lbs.

and depending on how much abuse and it's age, your stocker "should" be able to handle 200-215hp.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:10 PM   #11
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
well being he has a 2.4 and they only came with the 4t40 not the 4t45.

i have seen them hold up to 250 ftlbs and also go out at that much so it depends on the condition of the tranny and your driving.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
well being he has a 2.4 and they only came with the 4t40 not the 4t45.

i have seen them hold up to 250 ftlbs and also go out at that much so it depends on the condition of the tranny and your driving.

yup, that's why I put in all the "IF's"

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #13
boostnsrt

cool, now the next question is about the drive shafts.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:04 AM   #14
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostnsrt View Post
cool, now the next question is about the drive shafts.
It'll be able to handle 200-215 easy, driveshafts included. I'm currently pushing about 230whp and I've had no problems with the auto tranny or the driveshafts. The boosted auto J-bodies that push well into 200whp are on stock shafts and they have no problems, and if I remember correctly, the N-body shafts are thicker.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
darksobsession
GL Member

darksobsession is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to darksobsession
what's this about lsd? blotter, geltabs or drops? groovy.

sigs are annoying
darksobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
quaife makes the only true LSD, the rest are just poor attempts, and yes they are a pretty penny, but 100% worth it........
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
It'll be able to handle 200-215 easy, driveshafts included. I'm currently pushing about 230whp and I've had no problems with the auto tranny or the driveshafts. The boosted auto J-bodies that push well into 200whp are on stock shafts and they have no problems, and if I remember correctly, the N-body shafts are thicker.

The J-Body center bars are the same thickness. The outer joints are larger on the N-Body though. Not sure on the inners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
quaife makes the only true LSD, the rest are just poor attempts, and yes they are a pretty penny, but 100% worth it........

Agreed! A gear-type limited slip is totally worth it if you have the $$.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
This post is over a year old and was brought back just because darksobsession had to comment on LSD (acid) versus LSD (limited-slip)...

For an answer to the original question, Aleromod Upgrades has it:
Quote:
The main advantage of a limited slip differential is shown by considering the case of a standard (or "open") differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate freely—the torque transmitted will be equal at both wheels, but will not exceed the threshold of torque needed to move the vehicle, and thus the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use, such as driving in mud, off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the angular velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some friction available on at least one of the wheels.

Team Green makes an LSD insert which is designed to distribute the torque/HP to each wheel evenly. The Team Green LSD has been used in many turbocharged, supercharged, and nitrous equipped cars, such as SpeedRacerZ's 420hp/350trq turbocharged LD9, the 550hp/450trq turbocharged Quad 4, TVR's turbocharged 2.2L Ecotec, John Lenko's supercharged and nitrous injected LD9, to name a few.

Will it save the transmission? No. Its sole purpose is to split the horsepower and torque evenly to the drive wheels. Wheel hop will destroy a differential, with or without an insert installed.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #19
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
...nice
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote