Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

_01Alero_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I am about to get all the parts for my sound system soon, and I wanted to see what you guys thought of the things I will be getting soon.

Pioneer DEH-P8400MP Head Unit. (already own)

Tweeters: Polk DB1000 Silk Dome Tweeters.
* Overall Frequency Response 4kHz - 23kHz
* Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
* Power Handling (continuous) 60 w
* Power Handling (peak) 180 w
* Efficiency 92 dB

4 x 6 : Polk MOMO MMC460 2-way speakers.
* Overall Frequency Response 73Hz-25KHz
* Power Handling (continuous) 50 w
* Power Handling (peak) 100 w
* Efficiency 88 dB

6 x 9 : Polk MOMO MMC690 3-way Coxial Speakers.
* Overall Frequency Response 33Hz-25KHz
* Power Handling (continuous) 100 w
* Power Handling (peak) 300 w
* Efficiency 91 dB

Subwoofers: 2 Polk MOMO MM2124 12" 4-ohm Subs.
* Overall Frequency Response 23-200 Hz
* Minimum Impedance 3.3 ohms
* Power Handling (continuous) 400 w
* Power Handling (peak) 800 w
* Efficiency 88 dB
* Voice Coil Diameter: Driver 2" (5.08cm)
* Magnet Weight 60.00 oz.

Im not sure what amp I am going to get yet with the subs, so if you have an input on that as well, please post it. I am looking to keep it in the 100 to 200 dollar range for the amp.

So just give honest opinions on what you think.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
I run the same polk's for the interior in my car and love them. As far as an amp for your subs haven't been into the scene in a while. Ask soundextreme or another knowledgable member.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Just to tell ya...sweat, your car is awesome. lol. I love the paint job and the stripes. just thought I would throw that out there.

I think the polk momo's are awesome, but I wasnt sure how others felt. I always hear kicker and jl all the time, but no one talks about polks, so I figured I'd ask people that know a lot more about speakers and cars than I do.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
im using a fosgate amp with my momo's
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD+Apr 26 2006, 09:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FormulaNERD @ Apr 26 2006, 09:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>im using a fosgate amp with my momo's
[/b]

I would go with something a little cleaner because there is no point in having a great speaker and not being able to get it's potential out of it. Not trying to offend you but I just dont find rockford's to be very clean amps but, then again that's why I run opti drive amps.
<!--QuoteBegin-AaronKAlero
@Apr 26 2006, 12:34 AM
Just to tell ya...sweat, your car is awesome. lol. I love the paint job and the stripes. just thought I would throw that out there.

I think the polk momo's are awesome, but I wasnt sure how others felt. I always hear kicker and jl all the time, but no one talks about polks, so I figured I'd ask people that know a lot more about speakers and cars than I do.
[/quote]
Thanks. You bought a very clean setup I'M I think you should save just a little more cash and get what you really want. As far as an amp to go with, you might want to polk to keep everything the same and just ask them what they recommend for your application.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
Quote:
Originally posted by NoSweat83@Apr 26 2006, 10:22 AM
I would go with something a little cleaner because there is no point in having a great speaker and not being able to get it's potential out of it. Not trying to offend you but I just dont find rockford's to be very clean amps but, then again that's why I run opti drive amps.

Clean is a Genesis ST60 on the tweets and ST100 on the mids.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Don't get me wrong. I love polk, I was just saying that it seems like all I hear now a days is Kicker and JL for subs. I think polks are awesome, but I didnt know how exactly they matched up to kicker and jl subs. Anyway, I am really not spending that much money on everything. I have a friend that works for an electronics company, and he is cutting me some ridiculous deals on this stuff, so I'm jumping on it.

The Polk MM2124's can handle around 400 to 800 a piece, so I figured I would get a 1000 watt amp at least for the two. I have found some pretty good deals at www.onlinecarstereo.com, so that is probably where I will buy an amp from, unless of course someone on here has a 1000 + watt that they want to get rid of for pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the input by the way.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronKAlero@Apr 26 2006, 07:14 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love polk, I was just saying that it seems like all I hear now a days is Kicker and JL for subs. I think polks are awesome, but I didnt know how exactly they matched up to kicker and jl subs. Anyway, I am really not spending that much money on everything. I have a friend that works for an electronics company, and he is cutting me some ridiculous deals on this stuff, so I'm jumping on it.

The Polk MM2124's can handle around 400 to 800 a piece, so I figured I would get a 1000 watt amp at least for the two. I have found some pretty good deals at www.onlinecarstereo.com, so that is probably where I will buy an amp from, unless of course someone on here has a 1000 + watt that they want to get rid of for pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the input by the way.
I have a black 1000 watt Lanzar vibe if your interested.

VR- I have never heard of Genesis. What are the specs like?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

NoSweat83 - http://genesis-ice.com/

Amazing suckers for SQ - regarded along with the likes of Helix, Brax, Butler, McIntosh, etc.

Cheers,
~vR
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Quote:
Originally posted by violentrapture@Apr 26 2006, 07:43 PM
NoSweat83 - http://genesis-ice.com/

Amazing suckers for SQ - regarded along with the likes of Helix, Brax, Butler, McIntosh, etc.

Cheers,
~vR
Very nice but, prob a little expensive for what you get.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NoSweat83+Apr 26 2006, 10:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoSweat83 @ Apr 26 2006, 10:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-FormulaNERD@Apr 26 2006, 09:24 AM
[/b][/quote]

yea, no offense taken, honestly i think it sounds pretty good, he just asked for some low cost suggestions, and as far as low cost/quality, i dont know if there is anything i'd prefer over RF
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD+Apr 27 2006, 02:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FormulaNERD @ Apr 27 2006, 02:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by NoSweat83@Apr 26 2006, 10:22 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-FormulaNERD
Quote:
@Apr 26 2006, 09:24 AM

yea, no offense taken, honestly i think it sounds pretty good, he just asked for some low cost suggestions, and as far as low cost/quality, i dont know if there is anything i'd prefer over RF
[/b][/quote]
Lanzar's vibe series as far as price goes for what you get. I can get them pretty cheap.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #13
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
ya, anymore, i'd say lanzar is probably as good SQ as RF lol.

memphis makes some good SQ amps, they tend to run a bit on the pricey side tho not as bad as a lot of the big name SQs.

Phoenix gold could also be a reasonably priced SQ brand.

Fusion has had some recent good ratings and success in comps, check their powerplant series. In fact, you might take a look at specs vs price between all the Polk stuff and Fusion. Might possibly change your mind.

DLS, Helix, or Zapco
or u could get a McIntosh, lol.

but for 100-200 bucks, i wouldnt expect much. you might save a bit more and get a 5 channel and power the speakers properly also.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Quote:
Originally posted by sound_xtreme@Apr 28 2006, 10:26 AM
ya, anymore, i'd say lanzar is probably as good SQ as RF lol.
Lanzar is just more bang for the buck than RF. I can get a 1600 vibe for under $200 new (which is equivilant to the black 1000).
Old 04-28-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Quote:
Originally posted by FormulaNERD+Apr 27 2006, 10:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FormulaNERD @ Apr 27 2006, 10:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>he just asked for some low cost suggestions, and as far as low cost/quality, i dont know if there is anything i'd prefer over RF
[/b]

Well, I am looking for pretty low cost, but I didnt think that 100 to 200 dollars is a low cost amp. I know they have amps that are extremely expensive, but those put out a lot more than 400 RMS.

<!--QuoteBegin-NoSweat83
@Apr 26 2006, 03:37 PM
I have a black 1000 watt Lanzar vibe if your interested.
[/quote]

I wouldn't mind getting that depending on what the RMS is. The MOMO's can handle 400 RMS and 800 max. So I need an amp that can at least push 800 to 1000 RMS. Also I only want a two channel. Bridging is alright, but I've heard that it will ruin your amp a lot faster and amps tend to over heat when they are ran bridged. Just what I have heard, and I think two channels would be better.

So yea, if you could pm me later about the info on that amp, I would appreciate it.

And, if anyone has an amp that puts out 800+ RMS and wants to get rid of it, tell me!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #16
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

If you have 2 4ohm SVC drivers with 400W RMS each, you're looking at:
1. two amps that push 400W at 4ohm
2. a two channel that pushes 2 x 400W at 4 ohms
3. a monoblock that pushes 800W at 2 ohms.

Something tells me option 3 is the winner - amps like the PPI DCX 1500.1 (1000x1@2), JL 1000/1 (1000@1-4) or Hifonics BXi 1206D (900@2) would be perfect for those subs.

I'm not sure what the 1000W black Lanzar in question is, but if it's the one I'm thinking about (Vibe 241), it's rated 2x200@4 - gotta watch those power ratings... usually are max bridged or some such malarkey.

~vR
Old 04-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
_01Alero_
A.S.S. Translator

Quote:
Originally posted by violentrapture@Apr 28 2006, 11:17 AM
If you have 2 4ohm SVC drivers with 400W RMS each, you're looking at:
1. two amps that push 400W at 4ohm
2. a two channel that pushes 2 x 400W at 4 ohms
3. a monoblock that pushes 800W at 2 ohms.

Something tells me option 3 is the winner - amps like the PPI DCX 1500.1 (1000x1@2), JL 1000/1 (1000@1-4) or Hifonics BXi 1206D (900@2) would be perfect for those subs.

The only question that I have about that is, I have heard single channel amps that get bridged tend to overheat and tend to last shorter than a normal amp is suppose to last. Is this true?

I know I may seem like Im a complete idiot on all of this, but I do not want to rush in on buying something and it not be what I was looking for, and finding out that I could of gotten something better for around the same price! So Im just looking for all the information and opinions I can get.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #18
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AaronKAlero@Apr 28 2006, 02:08 PM
The only question that I have about that is, I have heard single channel amps that get bridged tend to overheat and tend to last shorter than a normal amp is suppose to last. Is this true?

I know I may seem like Im a complete idiot on all of this, but I do not want to rush in on buying something and it not be what I was looking for, and finding out that I could of gotten something better for around the same price! So Im just looking for all the information and opinions I can get.

Bridging can cause amps to run hotter, however cooled properly it doesn't necessarily shorten the lifespace. The amps I mentioned above are monoblock though - single channel, so nothing is bridged.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #19
kaularo88

i would have to agree on the rockford amp. i think that they are one of the cleanest amps on the market, and they push a butt load of power.

i would have to agree on the rockford amp. i think that they are one of the cleanest amps on the market, and they push a butt load of power.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #20
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kaularo88@May 2 2006, 09:38 AM

Rockford clean? (Agreed on power though - my 1500.1bd has almost a 1700@2 birthsheet)

a/d/s
arc
audison
brax
butler
denon
genesis
helix
linear power
mcintosh
memphis
mmats