Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 09-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #21
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
listen dude. it sounds like you dont know what your talkin about so you should listen to what others have to say.

ported boxes are best for spl........ or sound pressure level.....basically thats loudness. if you want mega bass you should run a ported box. but you also need to know what size box(how many cubes) your subs require for a ported box and so on. the dimension of the box effects the bass the box produces.

sealed boxes are best for sq....... which is sound quality. you wont get bass as "loud" as you would in a ported box because your moving less air in a sealed box. but you get better response which makes the bass sound "cleaner"

now here is the other thing. certain subs are designed specifically for certain types of boxes. in your case infinity's are designed to sound BEST in a sealed box. some subs work best in ported......... some can sound good in either type of box. but you have subs best suited for a sealed box.

and since you dont seem to have any exprience with subs....... you prolly wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the different types of boxes.

ALSO....... find out how many cubes your subs require in a sealed box and get a box that is the proper about of internal cubic volume.

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #22
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
i was too lazy to type wut sweetnlow said. some subs ARE made for sealed applications. yours happens to be one of them.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #23
an02oldsalero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetNLow View Post
listen dude. it sounds like you dont know what your talkin about so you should listen to what others have to say.

ported boxes are best for spl........ or sound pressure level.....basically thats loudness. if you want mega bass you should run a ported box. but you also need to know what size box(how many cubes) your subs require for a ported box and so on. the dimension of the box effects the bass the box produces.

sealed boxes are best for sq....... which is sound quality. you wont get bass as "loud" as you would in a ported box because your moving less air in a sealed box. but you get better response which makes the bass sound "cleaner"

now here is the other thing. certain subs are designed specifically for certain types of boxes. in your case infinity's are designed to sound BEST in a sealed box. some subs work best in ported......... some can sound good in either type of box. but you have subs best suited for a sealed box.

and since you dont seem to have any exprience with subs....... you prolly wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the different types of boxes.

ALSO....... find out how many cubes your subs require in a sealed box and get a box that is the proper about of internal cubic volume.

I have to disaggree with you. I know I'm a newb on this site, but I know a little about subs, and have personal experience with this. I would consider a ported box to be the best overall comprimise between SQ and SPL. The ultimate for SQ is a bandpass box as it allows the lowest possible frequencies while limiting the upper frequencies a sub shouldn't play. From my experience, a bandpass box has the cleanest sound out of the three types, making it perfect for SQ.

A sealed box will generally greatly limit the lower frequencies of the sub. It is however the best design for an SPL system as it allows the most control over the cone of the speaker, which in turn allows you to put the most usable power to it. A ported box still has control of the cone, but the more power you use the more out of control the cone can get, which leads to damage.

To sum it up, I guess if you have a very high powered system (in excess of 1000 watts), then a sealed or bandpass box will work the best. But for lower powered systems, a ported box will make the most of a speaker. In the end, it comes down to personal preference, and the only way to find out which one you like best is to experiment.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #24
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by an02oldsalero View Post
I have to disaggree with you. I know I'm a newb on this site, but I know a little about subs, and have personal experience with this. I would consider a ported box to be the best overall comprimise between SQ and SPL. The ultimate for SQ is a bandpass box as it allows the lowest possible frequencies while limiting the upper frequencies a sub shouldn't play. From my experience, a bandpass box has the cleanest sound out of the three types, making it perfect for SQ.

A sealed box will generally greatly limit the lower frequencies of the sub. It is however the best design for an SPL system as it allows the most control over the cone of the speaker, which in turn allows you to put the most usable power to it. A ported box still has control of the cone, but the more power you use the more out of control the cone can get, which leads to damage.

To sum it up, I guess if you have a very high powered system (in excess of 1000 watts), then a sealed or bandpass box will work the best. But for lower powered systems, a ported box will make the most of a speaker. In the end, it comes down to personal preference, and the only way to find out which one you like best is to experiment.

go to any SPL competition and see how many people are running sealed enclosures

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF SUB YOUR RUNNING AND THE DESIRED SOUND YOUR LOOKING FOR.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #25
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Sweetnlow your right i dont know what im talkin about, but from reading some articles i thought that ported would be best..... but if a sealed works best with MY SUB, then i will get one. I just hope it still sounds good like my box that i have right now......this box i have now puts out some good deep bass, i like it, i hope sealed boxes put out some good deep bass toolol
Old 09-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #26
SweetNLow
GLS member

if it has good sound now.......... why are you changing boxes?

Old 09-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #27
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
because the screws that hold the plexi glass on are coming out, and i cant find like 3 of them and the box is cracking in 2 places.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #28
an02oldsalero

I'm just trying to put my opinion out there. I see things from a different aspect from most people though. I don't believe in having stupid amounts of power. Why try to push something real hard, when you can make the same sound from less power. I did just that with my 12" cheapo pioneer. I have a total of $200 between my sub, amp and box. I have managed to put down people that have tripple that amount into their subs. A past friend when I was in high school actually admitted that his 2 12" sony's with a 1000 watt Kenwood monoblock wasn't as loud, and didn't sound nearly as good in a sealed box compared to my ported box. Don't try to say I'm comparing apples to oranges here either. The sony's and my pioneer are in the same class. I can push my sub to near full excursion without any side effects, and I've hit 125dB so far. I know i've gone higher but thats the highest my dB meter goes.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #29
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

I have a $500 system and it sounds sweet, im not one of those guys who spends $5,000 on a system......thats a waste of money. but I think that the ported box sounds sweet, and i know infinitys work better with sealed boxes, but the ported box i have now sounds nice. My sister has a sealed box with 2 10s and it doesnt sound that great, it sounds good but not great. She even said mine sounded much better, cause the bass was smooth and not choppy, I HATE CHOPPY BASS.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #30
SweetNLow
GLS member

choppy bass isnt becuase of the box size........ she prolly has to much power running to her 10's and they are clipping

Old 09-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #31
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
People need to be reading some wikipedia or start reading threads at DIYaudio because there are a lot of generalities going on here. Just buy a generic box, that will be fine for you until you learn more about audio in general.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:45 AM   #32
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
lol bandpass for SQ. lawl
Old 09-09-2006, 03:45 AM   #33
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Most bandpass boxes I've heard sound muddy compared to the other types (more noise, less accuracy). Not to mention they usually take up a HUGE amount of room.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #34
acold7dusta

especially a prefab bandpass
Old 09-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #35
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_xtreme View Post
lol bandpass for SQ. lawl
bwahhaa I thought the same thing when I read it.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #36
FartCannonAlero

yeah...
i used to have one of those ebay specials.. 2 sony xplods with amp and sub box for like 350..good starter system but definatly SHIT..a got a new box and they sounded better, but yet they were xplods..and they were shit in general
Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #37
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

Well it might have sounded like shit because Sony sucks......my system sounds great, im not gonna waste money on a system like 50% of the people on here, i cant put that money towards better things. 2 infinitys is fine with me, sounds great
Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #38
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...38247244249248

Heres the box i bought yesterday......

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XQrjg6B...520&I=1081242W

and that is the 2 subs that i have..... do u think that those 2 will go good together????
Old 09-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #39
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
i like tator tots!, but serious fokes, its all about how the sub box is designed.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #40
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

So do u think i made a good decision on the sub box???? im just worried it will be too big now.....