Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
toddbobby
GX Member

toddbobby is an unknown quantity at this point
amp getting real hot

I have an older v12 mrv-1000 it was getting so hot that i could hardly touch it and was not putting out the power it should. Right now I have a friends sony explode it is putting out the power but is still getting real hot. So my question is do all amps get ht or is someting wrong? I thaught it could be my wieing but i checked and everything looks good. Please help. Thank you.
toddbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Well amps can get pretty toasty if you have them wired to the extremes or push them to hard.

It can also be that your ground or power wire is insufficent or has to much resistance.

Lastly it could be a crappy wire job. If the ground isnt to a proper piece of metal thats clean, you could have this kind of problem.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Amps do get hot but not searing hot.

Do you have the standard fuse in them? The over heat could be a few different things.

What gauge and everything. Give us the details and we can work from there.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
toddbobby
GX Member

toddbobby is an unknown quantity at this point
i am using 4 gauge for power and ground. i also have the proper fuses in the amp and the power wire has the proper fuse in it. the ground is just screwed to the flor of the trunk. is there a better place for me to ground it?
toddbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbobby View Post
i am using 4 gauge for power and ground. i also have the proper fuses in the amp and the power wire has the proper fuse in it. the ground is just screwed to the flor of the trunk. is there a better place for me to ground it?

where the ground is screwed in.....is the paint scraped off? you need a nice spot of bare metal for a good ground
Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
How long is the ground wire from the amp to the mount point?

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
are the speakers connected to the amp, the same ohm as the amp is putting out? (lower ohms would cause a hotter amp)
Old 04-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Better order some 12v fans before you set your shit on fire. WORD!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
are the speakers connected to the amp, the same ohm as the amp is putting out? (lower ohms would cause a hotter amp)

Aye?

I never knew amps put out Ohms

You need to know what you have sub wise, wirind wise (your subs) and what the amp is capable of.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
um..... let me rephrase...

if your speakers are 2ohm, and the amp is 4ohm, the amp will run hotter....
Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
superman88
GX Member

superman88 is on a distinguished road
cut a hole on the top and mount some computer fans on it that well move the heat out wire the positive to the rem and nigative to the ground for the fan wiring and that well solve the heating problem
superman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman88 View Post
cut a hole on the top and mount some computer fans on it that well move the heat out wire the positive to the rem and nigative to the ground for the fan wiring and that well solve the heating problem

it may solve the heating problem, but the fact still remains there's a problem. :S
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman88 View Post

DO NOT WIRE ACCESSORIES TO YOUR REMOTE LEADS.

Unless you dont care about frying your remote turn on lead. Then by all rights go ahead.

Remote turn on leads can only provide Milliamp currents. Thats less than 1 amp. SO putting things like fans on it causes it to draw to much current and either the internal fuse (IF THERE IS ONE) blows or your remote lead circuit fries.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
um..... let me rephrase...

if your speakers are 2ohm, and the amp is 4ohm, the amp will run hotter....

Ok... Please show me a 2 Ohm amp and a 4 Ohm amp. Time to educate
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Ohms is a measure of resistance. You don't think of it, but substances conduct or resist electricity on a scale. Rubber isn't very conducive, copper is. This is why some premium cable are made out of silver and such - these substances conduct electricity better than others.
When the electricity passes into the speaker, some of it is 'resisted.' The ohms rating of the speaker is how much is resisted, and an indication of how much energy it takes to drive it - the higher the ohms rating, the more difficult it is to drive.
An amplifier amplifies the electricial signal, causing the speaker to vibrate with greater force, otherwise the impulse would be barely audible. How much the amp drives is measured in watts. When an amp manufacturer gives it's wattage rating, it's always at a specific Ohm resistance. 100 watts @ 4 ohms, for example. When the resistance is 4 ohms, this amp will produce 100 watts. If that resistance changes, the amp will produce a different amount of watts.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

...duplicate

Last edited by lonnie : 04-14-2008 at 02:14 PM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Great explanation... but the double post throws out all the credibilty (SP?) it had
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Actually in terms of speakers, the Ohm rating is impedance not resistance.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Actuallly...

Ohms Resistance is a DC measurement.

Ohms Impedance is an AC measurement.

You can measure an sub with an Ohm (DMM) meter, what you see is the DC resistance.

The reason its impedance is car amps are emitting an AC type current which varies. Which is turn produces the curves needed to generate sound.

The Impedance of the sub is constantly changing while in use. A simple way to see this is to plug your ohm meter into the sub unhooked. Press on the cone. Watch the needle/numbers jump.

So to sum it up. Amplifiers dont "produce" ohms. What your looking at is the stability of the amp, what it can handle. Also the power output at the given ohm load.

To get even more technical, amplifiers DO have "ohms". Since it is an electronic circuit, there is some resistance. If there wasnt, it would be a dead short . But this resistance bears no affect on us or our situations.

so there.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #20
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

I double posted because the damn site was acting up and I don't give a shit about credibility cause I don't have to prove crap to anybody...not being argumentative but that's how I feel and I put that info up to help who may have needed to know.