Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 12-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
Fixing rust spots?

Im in need to fix some rust spots that haven't rusted through just on the surface... could i just sand it and paint it? if so what paint would i use how many coats?

Last edited by Hellfire5670 : 12-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Dude....use the search button....there are prob like 20 threads about this with the same answers your gonna get....NO dont even bother sanding it down and painting it....the rust is there, its not going anywhere unless you cut that metal out and weld in a new piece. Simply covering it up wont work, it will still rust through.....it may prolong the process but it wont stop it.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I fixed a spot on my door w/ sand and paint about a year ago, still no trouble... just use the proper primer, clean, and make sure you got it all. however the spot on my rear wheel well has some metal all the way eaten though, all I did was slow it down it down a bit
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
it really depends on how deep the rust has got to. if it's true surface rust, yes, sand it until you have bare, clean, "white" metal, prime and paint.

anything deeper, then yeah, Billy was right. <- never thought I'd say that. lolz
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
please for the love of god, just stop!!! rust is a cancer that spreads and spreads, there is obviously a problem if it is at the bottomof the 1/4 panle

gm never put a drain hole at the bottom of the 1//4, hence the rust issue, same with the rust on all older gm`s right by the gas door

what you want to do is not going to stop it, and the other idiotic procedures that were mentioned arent going to help either but make it worse and make the rust come back that much faster

more.......................
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
if it is just surface rust, what i would do is take my 3m black roloc remove the rust, d.a. with 80, 120. 180 then apply a ETCH PRIME!!! if my roloc left any marks then i apply a light coat of FINISHING GLAZE!!!!

then apply another coat of ETCH PRIME!!! THE THE CORRSION RESISTANT PRIMER!!! AT LEAST PPG`S PRIMER IS CORROSION RESISTANT

if it is a hole, i wont even get into depth on how to be a fabricator, and or a bodyman which is needed to know what your cutting, where your going to cut, then shape the metal, and all the other procedures invovled in making a patch and making it last

in closing take it to a shop and let US THE PROFESSIONALS HANDLE IT
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
If a hole just get the bondo patch kit that will last a few weeks and only take hours to do!
Lol totally a joke! Not worth the time invested to do shitty patch that will not last! Get it done at a shop or if know someone that can actually weld and willing to cut and possibly cut more on car go for it. Shop wise I dunno if would be worth it. Depending value of the car cash or to yourself. And how much to be repaired correctly. DIY you'll be able to tell unless take it to a pro to blend paint. Which small little rust spot in my mind would look better then a spot a different color.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Thewolf
GX Member

Thewolf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
gm never put a drain hole at the bottom of the 1//4, hence the rust issue, same with the rust on all older gm`s right by the gas door

+1 I agree. An experienced body guy was telling me the same thing, but he said that the drain gets plugged up, the water settles at the quater panel and it starts to rust from the inside out. To my eye knowledge, this happens to all W-body and N-bodies.
Thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Williamleo
GX Member

Williamleo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Williamleo
Bdyman is right. On my Alero, I had a big piece of paint come off from the lower part of my left front fender, from rust. So I went and bought the right color paint and rust inhibitor primer. I sanded it down so no rust was showing at all, primered, sanded, primered and sanded with very fine grit paper. I sprayed the color, fine sanded, sprayed again, let dry and clearcoated it. It came out perfect! Everyone said wow! Can't tell at all. That was in September. Even though my car is always spotless, here it is the middle of December, rust is coming through again and looks worse than before.
So bottomline? Wasn't worth it really. It's going in the shop beginning of April to be fixed right.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
bdyman
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamleo View Post
Bdyman is right. .

when it comes to bodywork im always right
Old 12-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
when it comes to bodywork im always right