Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Suspension/drivetrain noise?

ok, this sounds idiotic that I can build the crap out of the Alero and can't find the source of a stupid noise

Noise occurs at all speeds (only when moving), and sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the front driver's side, but only when applying any amount of left steering. Does not occur when going straight, or steering right.

Noise sounds like it MAY be rotational-related. Timing of the noise increases with the increase in speed.

Troubleshooting has ruled out the following:

1) Axle replaced

2) Hub/wheel bearing replaced

3) Transmission builders say it's not the output shaft on the trans because it would happen even when going straight, under any amount of load/speed.

Anybody have some ideas?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
need a balance & alignment that could be caused from a bad tie rod, or you just have loud tires (my low pros are VERY loud)

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
need a balance & alignment that could be caused from a bad tie rod, or you just have loud tires (my low pros are VERY loud)

my low pro's are VERY VERY loud as well, but the occurrence of it only one direction,
go for a balance and alignment.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Hey Balckjack, sorry to threadjack but mine is doing basically the same thing that you are describing but when I make right hand turns but still coming from the front left tire. I got new tires in July, changed the hubs in August on both sides and this started quietly and now has just constantly gotten louder over the past month.

Could it be anything in the struts or CV joints? I asked a friend of mine about this and that's what he suggested I check. Any thoughts?

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like "getting louder" seems to be hubs again, check the rear bearings
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
sounds like "getting louder" seems to be hubs again, check the rear bearings

The rear bearings? even though it sounds like it is coming from the front right? I have even gotten my dad to drive the car so I can sit in the passenger seat thinking I'm just hearing come from there because I sit there but it sounded like it was coming from the same area still.

So would the rear bearings be basically another hub change or are they different?

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vella's Alero View Post
The rear bearings? even though it sounds like it is coming from the front right? I have even gotten my dad to drive the car so I can sit in the passenger seat thinking I'm just hearing come from there because I sit there but it sounded like it was coming from the same area still.

So would the rear bearings be basically another hub change or are they different?

just new hubs, it's easier to change those anyway
Old 11-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
If it only happens when you turn (depending on the noise.. creaking or a clunking) it is prob somthing with the strut mount bearing or cv joint.

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the input so far, but as I said, hub (with wheel bearing) already changed, and the axle has already been changed (that rules out CV).

so, that leaves recommendations to check alignment, and strut bearings, yes?

My question is, if it where strut bearings, why would it make a perfectly-timed popping sound continuously, as if it were rotationally proportionate to speed? That's not to say I'm ruling it out, just explain the logic please.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Do you have a cracked rotor possibly?
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

possibly. I'm going to swap rotors (left/right) today and see if the noise switches sides. If that doesn't stop it, I'm going to drive it repeatedly into a concrete barricade until the noise stops.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
Flat spot on tire, or rock stuck in tread.
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
Fenderxcore
GL Member

Fenderxcore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersc0re View Post
Flat spot on tire, or rock stuck in tread.

A rock in the tread?...You're kiddin right?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
undersc0re
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderxcore View Post
A rock in the tread?...You're kiddin right?

I don't know just making a suggestion, maybe on the outside of the tire there is a rock stuck or flat spot making a noise when he turns, I was just thinking simple, maybe a ripped chunk of tread.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #15
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

I think we can rule out tires. It's done this through 3 sets of tires, and the latest ones have very little tread to get anything stuck in - BFG G-force T/A drag radials.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
So it's a popping, not a rumbling? Hmm, sounds tricky.

Looking into the brakes sounds like the next step.. best of luck, I'm stumped if it's not the rotors or something.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #17
AtomicX
GL Member

AtomicX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AtomicX
I have the same exact problem as you, I can not figure it out either. I can hear the noise the loudest when I quickly jerk the wheel to the left, and comes from the driver side as well. Is not the tires because it happens on both my low profiles and my stock steelies, and is not balancing and allignment because I have gone for that 2ce and the noise still exists. Not the rotors because I have R1 concept rotors which are in perfect condition. I haven't checked the Hub or Strut yet.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #18
undersc0re
GX Member

I have another suggestion, your caliper pins, maybe they are worn out and the sliding part of the caliper is banging back and forth because of the wear. I know its more common for them to sieze than wear but I had a set of pins that were worn at approx 150,000 km. They were so loose the thing would wiggle. Also had a worn bushing where the strut rod slides through the bushing into the top of the shock so when the car was jacked up the rod wiggled at the upper bushing but the strut still had good shocking ability, also I had a bad upper strut mount plate it popped and crunched, and cause my car to pull to the left once in a while like I had a low tire, I guess it threw off the alignment, I changed it with a whole assembly and without an alignment it steers way better! Doubt I will get an alignment unless I notice uneven wear on any tire.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
If it happens predominantly when you turn left I would suspect a right side hub/bearing.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #20
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

but the noise is coming from the left side when turning left.

Next thing I'll try is rotors/calipers, then strut bearings. After that it can only be the transmission alignment from the custom mount fabrication.