Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Talking Englishtown BOP day, you won't believe the resutls!!

I WON THE OLDSMOBILE BRACKET TODAY!!!! And to make Scott (Oldsman) very happy, I beat an 86 Cutlass with a 350 SBC in it

Round one Mitch and Jon raced each other and I raced another 80's Cutlass with slicks. Mitch took Jon out firest round, If Jon didn't race Mitch, we all have no doubt that it would have been 3 Aleros in the last 2 rounds.

Mitch raced that 86 Cutlass that I was talking about above. Mitch broke out going 15.955 on a 16.00 dial. This round I had the bye run having the best R/T in the class

I line up with the Cutlass in the final round, I dialed in at 15.26 to his 11.96, I also won lane choice and the guy was telling Jon and I about how he hates racing slower cars in the left lane becuase he can't look at his tach and the tree at the same time.

I launch, what I thought was good, then I watch him launch, I look forward and see the win lights He red lighted, -.055 red and my .128 light was probably still good enough to edge him out at the top end.

I got 2 trophies, a class, and a huge 1st place one. $100 bucks and my very first gold sticker

There will be another thread about the Redog v Jackel race later. I want to get the vid up and the program I have for the vids sucks total ass so bad, it can taste the food you are eating right now

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Daytona : 12-13-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
so is this with the Alero or the Delta... because we're on Aleromod and I don't care about Deltas
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I WON THE OLDSMOBILE BRACKET TODAY!!!! And to make Scott (Oldsman) very happy, I beat an 86 Cutlass with a 350 SBC in it

Round one Mitch and Jon raced each other and I raced another 80's Cutlass with slicks. Mitch took Jon out firest round, If Jon didn't race Mitch, we all have no doubt that it would have been 3 Aleros in the last 2 rounds.

Mitch raced that 86 Cutlass that I was talking about above. Mitch broke out going 15.955 on a 16.00 dial. This round I had the bye run having the best R/T in the class

I line up with the Cutlass in the final round, I dialed in at 15.26 to his 11.96, I also won lane choice and the guy was telling Jon and I about how he hates racing slower cars in the left lane becuase he can't look at his tach and the tree at the same time.

I launch, what I thought was good, then I watch him launch, I look forward and see the win lights He red lighted, -.055 red and my .128 light was probably still good enough to edge him out at the top end.

I got 2 trophies, a class, and a huge 1st place one. $100 bucks and my very first gold sticker

There will be another thread about the Redog v Jackel race later. I want to get the vid up and the program I have for the vids sucks total ass so bad, it can taste the food you are eating right now

Bracket racing annoys me personally, why cant they line up cars that are much closer in et? a 15 sec. car against an 11 sec. is not fun to watch.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post
Bracket racing annoys me personally, why cant they line up cars that are much closer in et? a 15 sec. car against an 11 sec. is not fun to watch.

Bracket racing requires more skill than heads-up racing. In H-U drags, it's usually whoever has invested the most money wins. In Brackets, cars are handicapped based on ET so it all comes down to driver skill. And for today, it was all DOT tire Oldsmobiles, regardless of model, year, or ET. Jon was only spotting me about 0.8 seconds in our match-up - is that close enough for you?

I am very proud of Ken winning his first Eliminator Event! I wish I was there in the final to compete with him (& take home a share of the prize money) but stuff happens. At least now I know where on the tree I need to shallow stage with the Alero (my first time ever running her at the track), as opposed to deep staging like I always do with the Daytona.

I took plenty of pics and will post them up later in this thread once I've had a chance to download them and clean them up a little.

As for the rest of you NJ folks who talked a big game about wanting to have an Alero meet and then didn't show up, if Ken could drive an hour+ and Jon drive FOUR HOURS from VA to be there (and stay over in a nearby hotel Friday night), the rest of you could have at least attempted to be there. You all missed a fun day. The weather turned out to be great. And Jon, Ken, and I had a great time, even if nobody else bothered to show up. Kudos again to Kenny for a great win and it was a pleasure finally getting to meet you in person, Jon!

And, yes, we all brought our Aleros. The only 3 in the park.

Last edited by Daytona : 08-30-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!!! Way to represent!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
i got sunburned....bad.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
01oldsgls
GL Member

01oldsgls is on a distinguished road
and just burned in general
01oldsgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
i got sunburned....bad.

You were looking a tad red by the time we left. I think I got a little too much sun, too.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
i got sunburned....bad.

Yeah when I looked at you right before the 3rd round, I noticed that.

You should have said something, I would have given you my sunblock

Did you at least get something to eat at Quik Chek?

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
so is this with the Alero or the Delta... because we're on Aleromod and I don't care about Deltas

Quote:
If Jon didn't race Mitch, we all have no doubt that it would have been 3 Aleros in the last 2 rounds.

Post skimming again

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
I understand the concept of bracket racing, but why dont they bracket the cars with closer times like maybe a couple tenths apart, so it actually falls on who is the better driver. i always hated bracket racing when i had my mustang, i want to go against cars in my class that were a challenge, bracket racing is going against a tree and your own time.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 AM   #12
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats Kenny

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 AM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
I understand the concept of bracket racing, but why dont they bracket the cars with closer times like maybe a couple tenths apart, so it actually falls on who is the better driver. i always hated bracket racing when i had my mustang, i want to go against cars in my class that were a challenge, bracket racing is going against a tree and you own time.

Because if they had brackets for every single second 16,15,14,13, etc we'd all still be there, and Mitch would have won the day since he was the only 16 second Olds there.

You should see the import days there. they have a 10 second and quicker, 10 to 10.99, 11 to 11.99, 12 to 12.99, 13 to 13.99, 14 to 14.99, 15 and slower. Talk about a cluster eff.

It is funny on those days to see how many stock Civics and Accords bracket themselves in the 12 and 13 second classes, then run 17's

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
I understand the concept of bracket racing, but why dont they bracket the cars with closer times like maybe a couple tenths apart, so it actually falls on who is the better driver. i always hated bracket racing when i had my mustang, i want to go against cars in my class that were a challenge, bracket racing is going against a tree and your own time.

What you want is Heads-Up racing. Bracket racing can pit 2 nearly identical cars or 2 that are 5 seconds apart. Regardless of what either car's ET is, it all comes down to who is the better driver and judged their car's run the best. You aren't just going against the tree and your own time. You also have to be cognizant of what the other driver is doing and hit your brakes if you think you're taking too much stripe so you don't lose on a break-out if the other guy isn't close to you. Plus you can run the best race of your life and still lose to the guy/girl in the next lane if they cut a better light and judge their ET better than you ("cut a better package"). H-U racing is just whoever gets there first without redlighting wins.

I suggest you check out NHRA Stock Eliminator. That class allows very minimal modifictions to the cars and the cars are bracketed into specific classes (my '02 GLS would be CF/S class) based on NHRA-factored stock HP vs. factory weight. Everyone runs on their dial and must go faster than the index for their class (CF/S = 15.45 seconds).The index is the slowest you are allowed to dial your car in your class. Consider it a maximum ET allowance. The fastest qualifiers usually run up to 1.1 seconds quicker than their index. While you will see pairings where 1 car is 5 or 6 seconds faster than the other (A/S vs. U/S, for example), when 2 cars from the same class get paired up they run heads-up - their index becomes the dial for both of them and there are no breakouts.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
funniest bracket race I ever watched was a fully built cobra mustang running down a 600rr that had almost a 2 second head start.......i was laughing so hard watching that mustang run down that bike (bike rider wasn't a slouch racer either)
Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #16
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
funniest bracket race I ever watched was a fully built cobra mustang running down a 600rr that had almost a 2 second head start.......i was laughing so hard watching that mustang run down that bike (bike rider wasn't a slouch racer either)

so.....the cobra won?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
kwhauck
2Screwy

yep, chases down the 600RR, that's why it was funny!!!