Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
Going to the court today!

I disputed a ticket more than a year ago and finally today is my hearing day.

I got this ticket when I totaled my MX-5 on the highway here and had to call 911 because I was blocking 2 lanes. When the cop came the first thing he said was: "are you alright, sir?" and the second "I'll have to give you a ticket for this sign at the bottom please."

I don't know about the laws elsewhere but here if you get into a single vehicle accident you get a ticket for it automatically. Mine was a speed relative to condition with no witness or police around. It was bad enough having my brand new car totaled .... he had to give me the ticket now.

I disputed the ticket as far away from the accident jurisdiction as possible to reduce the chance of him showing up. I hear sometimes they don't contest if you plead not guilty but if he does I have two options:

1. Claim I was an amateur ST driver and shifted into the wrong gear and being in a rwd and rain I crashed.

2. Take advantage of a law that says court dates must be given in a timely manner or evidence is not valid. I've heard people using this when the court date was more than a year after.

Coming up in a few hours... wish me luck and give me suggestions.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.

Last edited by bentiac : 12-15-2009 at 12:37 PM.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
shiny alero
GL Member

shiny alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shiny alero
good luck little buddy!
shiny alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck dude. I really do hope you get away without having to pay the ticket. It would be super lame to pay a ticket on top of having your car totalled.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
mach3
V.I.P. Member

mach3 is on a distinguished road
Cops can be pretty nasty, especially that ones that wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

Too bad you don't live in Edmonton, I see signs everywhere advertising that they will help you fight the traffic tickets
mach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
bentiac
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach3 View Post
Too bad you don't live in Edmonton, I see signs everywhere advertising that they will help you fight the traffic tickets

BC must be the worst place in North America for this kind of thing. You are always a slave to ICBC.... Not only they didn't pay me in full for the write off but my insurance is at 135% now, I have to pay a ticket and possibly be suspended, and if this wasn't bad enough I have to pay them on my next birthday for any points I've received.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
JD1
GX Member

JD1 is on a distinguished road
damn that sucks, good luck today.
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
What a nightmare. Good luck!

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
2000aleroff
GX Member

2000aleroff is on a distinguished road
good luck man
2000aleroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
bentiac
GL Member

Good news just got back and I convinced the officer to withdraw. I went there early and talked to the officer before going into the court. I told him I was pleading not guilty; at first he told me that I was lucky and he could increase the charge to 2x and make it a 'Driving without due care' if I decided to go with my arguments. I knew he was bluffing so I talked to him some more and he said he could reduce the ticket price but I still didn't give up and asked him a bunch of law questions about what the allegation was based on etc until he got bored and gave up. They called me up first and he withdrew all charges...

Nice officer overall and I'm a smooth talker too I guess they see so many young punks with bad attitudes that if you talk to them nicely and throw in a few 'Sir's they will respond.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
been there done that lol
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
good news to see it got dropped. talking all nice is the way i always get off without tickets in the first place
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:50 AM   #12
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
congrats. i know how good it feels to beat a ticket.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
congrats, and your swaybar has been shipped!!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
bentiac
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post

Thanks dude. Can you send me the tracking number? I don't want it to get lost with all the Christmas spirit being shipped around.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post

NOW you send him the sway bar!!! Probably could of used it BEFORE the accident!!
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #16
bentiac
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
NOW you send him the sway bar!!! Probably could of used it BEFORE the accident!!

Well that was in my previous car, a 07 MX-5 with a front rx-8 sway bar because it had too much oversteer.