Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 08-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
pyromaniac6565

FINALLY!!!
This was done on my 99 Grand am, but the Alero intake is the exact same.

1. Remove the 2 screws holding the airbox lid on and remove the air filter and lid.
2. Using a flathead screwdriver, loosen the clamp between the airbox lid and the MAF sensor.
3. Remove the 2 10mm nuts holding the lower airbox in place(see picture) and remove it. Also remove the rubber piece between the MAF sensor and the throttle body by loosening the screws holding the clamps on. Note: keep the metal thing circled in green.

4. Remove the IAT sensor and PCV vent from their fittings.
5. Disconnect the battery and remove it( the screw to hold it on is probably rusted, be patient, it is very long).
6. Jack up the drivers side front of the car and remove the wheel.
7. Remove the screws and clips as shown. To remove clips without breaking them use wire cutters and gently wriggle them free.

8. Using a jigsaw, or other cutting tool (hack saw blade), cut the area as shown in picture. Make sure you have enough room to run your piping through without taking up the space for the battery. Most likely you will need to cut more than you think. Note that mine was already cut, and im just showing you where the metal was.

9. Remove the stock intake, you can keep the front part that goes up behind the headlight for more airflow if you want (I did).

10. Install the tubing between the MAF and throttle body, I recommend that you take your MAF to a table and put on the rubber pieces because it’s a huge pain in the ass to do it in your hands.
11. Tighten the clamps on the MAF and proceed to put the rubber piece over your throttle body and clamp it down as well. When you think you have the clamps tight enough, tighten them more, repeat as necessary.

12. Insert your MAF sensor and IAT (if applicable, I used the IAT relay so I didn’t put it back in)

13. Look under where you cut your hole and you will see a black metal thing ( see picture NOTE: mine is already bent, im just showing you where it was) bend it back so you have enough room for your filter.

14. Insert your long tube with filter attached up through the bottom of the hole so you don’t have to put it on in that tiny space in front of the wheel well. Note: if your filter looks anything like the one I have crossed out, don’t even attempt to use it, you will most likely flood your car out the next time it rains, only use a K&N ( i reccomend the rx- 4730, not only is it one of the on of the only two ram style filters out there, but it is 6" long, 1" longer than most other K&N's)or similar filter that is oiled and repels water.

15. Tighten all your clamps, on the filter and end of pipe on rubber fitting, remember to tighten them as much as you can.

16. Replace the wheel well cover and bolts and clips. Replace the battery and hook it back up (idiot). Once everything is back on turn the car on to make sure you don’t have any error codes from the sensors.
17. If all ok replace the wheel and anything else you may have taken off
18. Am I genius or what?

Disclaimer: I did this and it worked, if it doesn’t work for you then don’t bitch at me. With that having been said, your welcome,

Jeremy
Old 09-20-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
that filter is Our Price: $62.48 at advanced

are you kidding me? that's more than i paid for the CAI i got!

is it worth it?

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
pyromaniac6565

i think so. then again its personal preferance. I got it because its ram flow so that ill get direct air inot the CAI, rather than thorugh the sides.