Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #81
Noseminer
GX Member

Noseminer is on a distinguished road
it's probably not all the valves, but just the ones that were open when the chain snapped. the valve for eco's aren't too costly you just have to look around. I did my own timing chain when it snapped and it was a little costly, around 1500 cnd. it was fairly strait forward, just used a repair manual and a couple days of work because i had never done one before. The only other thing was that i had to take the head in to a machine shop and get the guides checked and head shaved slightly. I had 8 bent valves, but the guides were good. Also the head bolts are torque to yield so you need a little tool that mesures the degees as you torque the bolts instead of the regular torque wrench. all in all if you can find a better motor for cheaper you could save some money there but if you redo the chain atleast you know it is done. And who's to say that a used motor won't have the chain snap fairly soon down the road. any how that just my 2 cents and good luck with it.

Last edited by Noseminer : 08-29-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Noseminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #82
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
right that`s what i was thinking, on ebay right now a complete block is going for 450, but if she doesnt want to dump anymore money into the car it goes up for sale, i would rather do a new junkyard engine, then a timing chain
but its not my car, it`s hers so i dont know what will happen
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #83
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
can't just replace the timing chain?

Unfortunately it's not very cost effective to just replace the chain.

It's FAR more cost effective to just swap the engine because they're plentiful.

Just to do a timing chain you're looking at least..

Head gasket set, $115
Timing cover gasket $30
Timing chain set $184
Intake valves $38 (4@9.50)
Exhaust valve $49.60 (4@12.40)

And that's not everything. You can pick up plenty of used Ecotecs in the $500 range and not have to do anything to them. Not to mention get a newer one which has less timing issues.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #84
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
well i got prices today i havent told ms.bdyman yet, becasue i dont think she`s going to want to do it, i dont know whats going to happen
Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #85
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
part out, for the cost of the car?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #86
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
well based on your comment, bdyman............look some more and not in cook county at all
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #87
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
Do a 3400 swap! No but seriously speaking, im sure you can get another ecotec in there and running for less than buying another decent car for her.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #88
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
And if worst does come to worst part it out and sell me the shell
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #89
bdyman
GLS member

here is my cost for the engine, 725 without warranty 825 with a warranty
now we paid 900 for the car sunk close to 100 in it already, im going to ask the parts guy at work to keep looking for something at other junk yards we use
if she doesnt want to do a new engine, then we go from that point forward
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #90
lvemy3100
GX Member

lvemy3100 is an unknown quantity at this point
car-part.com
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #91
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
In reality Bdy, You could probably get your cash back for the shell couldn't you? I mean, You've given it the TLC it needs, all it needs now is for a 16 year old gearhead to throw in a V8 Northstar and kill himself with it.

Damn, that's tempting.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #92
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
here is my cost for the engine, 725 without warranty 825 with a warranty
now we paid 900 for the car sunk close to 100 in it already, im going to ask the parts guy at work to keep looking for something at other junk yards we use
if she doesnt want to do a new engine, then we go from that point forward

Chris will you stop looking in cook county. call up junkyards out like morris or in IN. you can get the motor cheaper.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #93
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
judging by the condition the car was in when you bought it, it seems almost pointless to put a new engine in it unless ms.bdyman wants to spend that money on getting her daughters car to work. You still need new tires right? and you'll never be too sure what else might be wrong with it aswell. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #94
AZFire316
GL Member

I'd say if you can get 900 or close to it selling the shell I would, but if you can't, then I'd try to source a cheap eco for it and it'll be good for years to come, assuming all else is well on the car.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #95
bdyman
GLS member

the interior cleaned up real nice minus the burn holes,, everything cleaned up i still have to buff the car, it does need brakes, and right side bearing plate and mount plate are bad but no biggie there

once i do that and if i drop in a new block im sure everything will be fine with the car, but its up to msbdyman if she wants to invest the money for the block
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #96
AZFire316
GL Member

Ecotecs are a dime a dozen, I also have a 2003 cavalier that ive had to replace the engine on.