Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Zach0112
GX Member

Zach0112 is on a distinguished road
Another Aftermarket hu w/ Monsoon thread

Okay so I've been reading for the past few days on here and on gagt about replacing the stock hu in my car with an Aftermarket unit. To start off the stocker has cd and cassette capabilities and I have the Monsoon amp in the trunk. The car is a 2002 gls, I know that matters from searching. Anyways I want to keep my stock wiring and amp I'm going to install a Kenwood hu. The reason for keeping everything as stock as possible is so I can remove the stereo before I decide to sell it. Stock head units slowly going down the drain. I'm not completely set on keeping chimes because I'm always checking the dash anyways. So really I'm lost on a simplistic harness that keeps my speakers working as they should. I've looked at the gmos04 or what ever but is there a cheaper one that works just a good without chimes. Gone through threads and I'm lost on a definite answer. Thanks
Zach0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Go to crutchfield you get a discount on chimes and free dash kit and install sheet. Just come here to ask about fit as they aren't always correct on there per se. Meaning some that they say don't fit do fit with some minor modification.

I find the chimes to be useful in certain situations. Like here in commiefornia if your wipers are on so must your lights be. Then I forget they are on because of them usually being on auto. I also sometimes forget the keys when I' am gathering all my gear when getting out of the car going to and coming from work. Nice to get half off the harnesses and free dash kits. I purchased my Pioneer 5500BHS from there for almost $100 cheaper than anywhere else. I just came here and asked if the fit would be an issue and some peeps game me the info.

Last edited by negolien : 02-13-2014 at 11:00 AM.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
2002 were still not wired to the BCM if I recall correctly, so you might be able to get away with a regular metra or scosche GM harness and be able to retain the chimes. Not 100% sure though since for Olds cars it mightve been 2001.

I'm pretty sure the remote turn on wire (the blue wire on most radios, don't recall what color it is on the car itself) would be all you need to hook up in order to get the amp to turn on if the car is set up that way. I know the Monsoon in my Camaro turns on when the radio is on via input signal (meaning sound output to the speakers turn it on). Not sure if all Monsoons were wired up that way, but regardless swapping the head doesn't take out the amp, but it will take out the chimes on certain years. Most GM cars that need the chime module are 2003+, but like I said, I can't speak for the Alero since that car had minor differentiating features from the Grand Am. I had the GA not the Alero.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
2002 were still not wired to the BCM if I recall correctly,

2001+ grand ams and aleros are class data 2 systems aka the bcm controls the radio. Wal-mart sells a kit the scosche gm2000. That's what i have and it works, and it's $40. I didn't bypass the amp either, just play and play.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Zach0112
GX Member

Thanks you guys. You've clarified some stuff for me. I'll have to check Walmart out. I already have the adaptor mount too and it fits. I was just lost on which harness to get. I'll check out cruchfield to for their harnesses. Again thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
This is the one I got from them for the 2001 olds alero GLS with monsoon.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...r.html?tp=3486
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfast321 View Post
2001+ grand ams and aleros are class data 2 systems aka the bcm controls the radio. Wal-mart sells a kit the scosche gm2000. That's what i have and it works, and it's $40. I didn't bypass the amp either, just play and play.

From what I remember, the GA had the Class 2 radios when they swapped them to 2din. I remember the 1.5 dins being normal Theftlock delco radios.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
rocketfast321
GL Member

Yep thats right, it went to 2 din in 2001
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Ive seen a couple of 2001s with the 1.5 din though.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
rocketfast321
GL Member

They had the year wrong.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #11
Zach0112
GX Member

Just an update guys, the gm2000 did the trick. Everything works as it should. Chimes work and are just a tad quieter than stock, but the sound out emits is cheap sounding. Doesn't bother me any because it's nice they work. You just have to match all the free ends of the harness on your stereo to the free ends on the adaptor. Plug everything in and you're good to go. The rap works, chimes work, the dingers, factory amp also works. It's just that my install kit doesn't allow the big stereo bezel to clip up top because it's making contact with the upper part of the kit. Oh well a project for a warmer day. Just glad the stereo works