Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Alero Of The Month

Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Aleromod Owners
Administrator

Aleromod Owners has disabled reputation
Tips on picture taking

Okay. There has been a lot of questions going into Redog's PM box about "why my pics never get voted on" There are some ways to increase the chances of your car being AOTM, with some tips and tricks to take a better pic of your car.

The theme: Try to stick to the theme of the month. Don't try to be suttle about the picture. An example would be for "Best Fall Scene" don't take a picture of the car parked on the street and have 3 leaves on top of it. Go to a park where there is a lot of fall colors.

Shadows & lighting: Nighttime pics can set a mood, Bright sunlight is always good. However you always want to take the pics in the best lighting possible. Lighting can cast unwanted shadows on your car and create poor lighting for your scene. Also, you want to try to have the shadows casted behind the object. You can take a picture of the car with the sunlight behind it, the shadow of the car is in your picture. Might be a good shot of the car, and the car looks great, but a huge shadow between the camera and the car it's not pretty.

Angles: These are cars, not a bride at a wedding. A car will never cry, say you made it look fat, so say "You got my bad side" or, get mad and say it's a bad picture. Be creative and have fun

Other cars: It is always ALERO of the month. Let's try to take a picture of the car and not have any other cars in the shot. Move your car from in front of your house. Go to the empty side of the parking lot. Dead end streets usually make for a nice clean shoot. And middle of road pictures always look good, but choose a road that has no traffic. We don't need to have guys getting tickets or their car hit, just for a picture

Setting: Stripes in a parking lot, Dumpster in the backround, Parked in a trash filled parking lot. Not really a good backdrop for your picture. Pick a clean location and/or a location that doesn't ruin your flow

Get the entire car in the shot: This isn't hard. Get your entire car in the shot. Unless you are setting up some kind of location type pic (like the beach and just the side of your car for example) I've seen pics on here and all over the net where the front of the car is cut off, back of the car is cut off, or just getting a pic of the wheelbase. Pictures like that, they are just not going to cut it.

Use of models: this is kinda a moot point. We haven't had one go up like this, but we would welcome it. Female models would require at least a full coverage 2 piece swimsuit (no thongs, pasties, etc string sides are okay as long as it's a full coverage front and back, again this is bare min) and no obscene poses as per our rules. Male Models, if you choose to use them, must be clothed decently as well. Just think of it this way: If you wouldn't let your mother see it, don't post it up here.

Okay guys, get working

Last edited by Aleromod Owners : 12-31-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Aleromod Owners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
All in all, take good CLEAR pictures. Not half assed pictures on your 2mp phone camera, if you have an iphone, USE IT! They take awesome pictures for a phone, so do other newer smart phones.

Get a real camera! The results are fantastic.

Dont take pictures in the dark with your headlights on, let alone in the dark at all. We cant make out your picture in the first place. On top of that the headlight glare the camera pics up just makes it worse.

Take your time into photos, learn good angles for the car, pictures in direct sunlight suck almost always, find a good time of day to get pictures, or on a very cloudy day a great picture can happen at any time.

Find unique things to park in front of to snap a picture of the vehicle, adding a cool background makes the photos that much cooler to look at.

Hate to say it but ive seen so many photos where people just are to lazy at comitting into a good photo, its like that go outside, take a quick picture and submit it, sorry a side shot of your car parked in the driveway is not a vote in my book. The picture has to make the car look good and aggressive, while also having s good scenery around the car.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 12-31-2014 at 08:22 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
It took me about 2 years of submitting pictures before someone other than myself voted for one of my pictures.... I'd watch what would win and take that into consideration next year and looked through the archives of winners and took those ideas into my pictures as well....
as for the appearance of your car, it doesn't have to be highly modified to win, a clean stock alero with the right background can be perfect...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
My suggestion is taking multiple photos. Go out burn an hour, an afternoon, a day. Go to different locations try them out, sure a corn field or wheat field might not seem too appealing to someone who sees them every day but to someone who's stuck in suburbia or a city it's different than the concrete jungle they're used to so it's possible they may appreciate it more. I used living 2 hours away from the mountains to my advantage knowing most members on here live far away from the Rockies.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
I've been taking mine with my phone. I was thinking about getting a camera, not like they're that expensive anymore.

I know I usually don't get votes, and the others that post do have better picture quality. I'm not complaining,I just like hanging out here and interacting with everyone.
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #6
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice View Post
I've been taking mine with my phone. I was thinking about getting a camera, not like they're that expensive anymore.

I know I usually don't get votes, and the others that post do have better picture quality. I'm not complaining,I just like hanging out here and interacting with everyone.

Get a camera, dedicate 45 minutes to 2 hours for it, MAKE THE CAR LOOK GOOD and of course visual mods always help. Notice the ones that win either look showroom condition new or have mods that make the car more appealing. Bad paint, brake dusted wheels, scratches and dents, all that takes away from the car. The lighting makes it or breaks it too. My paint on my 94 Cutlass isn't in the best shape, but depending on the angle and light conditions, you wouldn't tell how bad it really is.

I've found the best lightning is around 2 hours before sunset. My favorite time to take pics is when the sun is near the horizon. Depending on the angle and the camera' setting you can make nice pictures in those conditions. Also, photoshop does wonders as far as fixing color balance. If your camera takes good pictures but the colors aren't spectacular, don't be afraid to edit them to make them better. Phone pics usually get washed out and sometimes messing with color settings will make them sharper.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:30 AM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I majored in photography in college and it's not easy taking photos of people. Eyes blink, slight moves, wrong lighting just ruins a picture, but with a car, you set it up, and it doesn't move.

My AOTM pic was shot while I on vacation in November. I dropped my son off at school and he's only in school for 2.5 hours so I wasn't going home between drop off and pick up. I did that pic on a whim after about 1.25 hours of shooting and driving to a different location in a park by his school (same place where older Aleromodders might remember the one calender pic and AOTM pic was taken back in 2005/2006 timeframe on the boat ramp. Tried the same boatramp and it just didn't come out that time.

Plus I took the Commonwealth required photos of the car to change title status of the car to "Classic" and they just started allowing Classic tags to be personlized in Pennsylvania (but it's an extra $100 on top of the $125 fee to do it. used to be $97.50 )

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
^ You can register a car as classic at only 15 years old in Pennsylvania and they let you personalize the tags too? That's pretty cool.

In Tennessee the car has to be 25+ years old to be registered as an antique auto and they don't let you personalize the plate. The fee for ours is a lot cheaper though. It's only $27.75 to have it done.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by That01Olds View Post
^ You can register a car as classic at only 15 years old in Pennsylvania and they let you personalize the tags too? That's pretty cool.

In Tennessee the car has to be 25+ years old to be registered as an antique auto and they don't let you personalize the plate. The fee for ours is a lot cheaper though. It's only $27.75 to have it done.

They just started the presonlization in September 2014. I thik they have been getting pressered by people in the SE part of the state to allow it. New Jersey has what's called a "QQ" plate. All Antique plates in New Jersey start with the letters "QQ" and the car must be 20 years old. Pennsylvania has a two tiered system for this. "C" which is Classic and must be at least 15 years old and only gets saftey inspection every year, and "A" (25 years and older) which is antique does not require inspection at all. However Antique cars can only be driven from sunup to sundown. Both are limited to 5,000 miles a year.

If it wasn't for personalization, I would be transfering my old Delta's Classic Tag to the Alero. Classic Tags used to be a white plate with purple letters, and Antique is a purpule plate with white letters. Now the Antique plates look like regular plates with only 2 letters and 2 numbers and have a picture of an old car on it. The Classic tags are effing retarded. They have the same like regular issue plates but a box on the left side of the plate saids "PA CLASSIC VECH" and start with "C" and have 5 numbers, but at least you can personalize them.

Used to be $97.50, now it's $75, plus $50 title change fee, and an extra $100 for personlization, and it never expires

Standard personlizied plates were $20, now $76, and this is only a one time fee

They started a "Vintage" plate program now. If you have an expired plate, from the same year as the car, you can pay $75and have that be your plate. Only good for cars upto 1976 though. I guess they don't want to bring up the bad memories of the "You've got a friend" poor English stuff from the mid 1980's

See, UGLY!!

www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 01-02-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post

They started a "Vintage" plate program now. If you have an expired plate, from the same year as the car, you can pay $75and have that be your plate. Only good for cars upto 1976 though. I guess they don't want to bring up the bad memories of the "You've got a friend" poor English stuff from the mid 1980's

See, UGLY!!

That's not bad.... Your neighbors to the south have to pay yearly for vanity plates.

As far as the vintage tag, that's interesting. In VA and MD, you can only do vintage tags if the car had the year stamped on the license plate. Unfortunately, that stops the year of availability to 72-75. The law is usually written to allow bicentennial plates to be ran again, hence the 76.

I don't think they'll ever allow the sticker renewed tags to be reintroduced.

Too bad you can't get period correct license plate combinations, or in other words, activate a dormant series from a run in the year your car was built. For example, in Virginia, the license plates go backwards and if your car was bought in 96, you would get a license plate that started with a Z (as in Zxx-0000). DC would have been finishing off their 6 digit number plates and MD would have been somewhere in the Pxx-000 area.

And I'd take your classic PA tag over this fruity trash below this sentence any day.

1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
That01Olds
GLS member

Quote:
They just started the presonlization in September 2014. I thik they have been getting pressered by people in the SE part of the state to allow it. New Jersey has what's called a "QQ" plate. All Antique plates in New Jersey start with the letters "QQ" and the car must be 20 years old. Pennsylvania has a two tiered system for this. "C" which is Classic and must be at least 15 years old and only gets saftey inspection every year, and "A" (25 years and older) which is antique does not require inspection at all. However Antique cars can only be driven from sunup to sundown. Both are limited to 5,000 miles a year.

If it wasn't for personalization, I would be transfering my old Delta's Classic Tag to the Alero. Classic Tags used to be a white plate with purple letters, and Antique is a purpule plate with white letters. Now the Antique plates look like regular plates with only 2 letters and 2 numbers and have a picture of an old car on it. The Classic tags are effing retarded. They have the same like regular issue plates but a box on the left side of the plate saids "PA CLASSIC VECH" and start with "C" and have 5 numbers, but at least you can personalize them.

Used to be $97.50, now it's $75, plus $50 title change fee, and an extra $100 for personlization, and it never expires

See, UGLY!!

Yeah we don't have the classic and antique system like you guys do there. It's just antique auto and our rules are a little more strict here than they are there. The engine and body can't have been modified and you're only allowed to drive the vehicle on Saturday and Sunday or to things like club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and car shows. The antique plates don't expire here too and we don't have a statewide inspection in Tennessee so we don't have to worry about that either.

If I remember correctly I think I've seen pics of the classic tag you're talking about from the Delta and I'd have to agree that compared to that the new one is ugly. It's not a bad design at all for your standard plates, but I definitely understand why you would want some a little more different than that for a classic vehicle plate.

That's a pretty big change in the price for a standard personalized plate though. Even if it is a one time fee. Granted ours isn't that much better and it's an annual fee as opposed to the one time fee. In Tennessee it's $56.50 a year for a personalized plate. In addition to any other fees your county of residence may have. Plus there is a one time $35 application fee as well.

Ah the old You've got a friend in Pennsylvania license plates. Yeah they probably don't want to bring back the memories from those days lol. Almost as bad as the old Kentucky it's that friendly license plates from the early 2000's. Although those were still worse lol.

Nas I've seen a couple of those new Virginia plates driving around post and I must say I like the old Jamestown anniversary ones they used to issue a lot better.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:

Ah the old You've got a friend in Pennsylvania license plates. Yeah they probably don't want to bring back the memories from those days lol. Almost as bad as the old Kentucky it's that friendly license plates from the early 2000's. Although those were still worse lol.

Nas I've seen a couple of those new Virginia plates driving around post and I must say I like the old Jamestown anniversary ones they used to issue a lot better.

Ahh yeah, the one with the sun. The design itself wasn't as bad colorwise, but that sun really killed it. Of course having bright colors like that probably clashes with some cars (EG: murdered out cars).

I liked those too. The funny thing is that now more people are getting the optional plates and the series progression for the new issue is slower than usual... almost makes you wonder why. I'm also noticing they're issuing them out of order. I've seen the series jump from VCS-XXXX to VEG-XXXX. I have only seen one VDx-XXXX issues, towards the start of that run. I really hope they take the message off at the end of the VZZ-XXXX run. Virginia has a weird thing going on with their plates... they're all over the place serial wise. It jumped from the low Xxx to the Jxx series, stopped midway K to go back to X and stopped in the middle of the W series run to start the stupid va is for lovers Vxx run.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

I saw one of those Heart VA plates today to the way to work. Also it was some punk ricer in a Civic Si cruising around trying to look tough, but scared that he's in Philly. HAHA in my neighborhood too. The only thing city about where I live is the ZIP code

They are skipping numbers here as well. I remember when we had 6 numbers/letters on the plates. Then they started crying that they were running out of combos and had to go to the 7 space plates like they have now.

In 1988, the first 3 letters of my parents car was TEK, and it wasn't until 1993 they had to go to AAA. They were 1/4 way thru Cxx and they went right to Dxx with the new plates and reissued everything in PA with the new style plates. It was done by ZIP code. Even number ZIP codes got their plates first, The odds got theirs last. This was in 2000, but that's also when I bought the Alero. I lived in an even ZIP code, but I went personalized anyway.

Right now they are almost done Jxx, Just waiting to see the Kxx plates which should be anyday now because it's a new year.

I have had every plate since the reissue too.

ex's 95 Accent was a D
ex's 02 Cavailer was an E
my 93 cavalier Wagon was an F
My first 85 Delta was a G
My 2nd 85 Delta was an H
My Volvo is a J

There was no I plates issued, and the first wife's cars, yeah I paid for both of them anyway, so...

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #14
That01Olds
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Ahh yeah, the one with the sun. The design itself wasn't as bad colorwise, but that sun really killed it. Of course having bright colors like that probably clashes with some cars (EG: murdered out cars).

I liked those too. The funny thing is that now more people are getting the optional plates and the series progression for the new issue is slower than usual... almost makes you wonder why. I'm also noticing they're issuing them out of order. I've seen the series jump from VCS-XXXX to VEG-XXXX. I have only seen one VDx-XXXX issues, towards the start of that run. I really hope they take the message off at the end of the VZZ-XXXX run. Virginia has a weird thing going on with their plates... they're all over the place serial wise. It jumped from the low Xxx to the Jxx series, stopped midway K to go back to X and stopped in the middle of the W series run to start the stupid va is for lovers Vxx run.

Yeah I agree that the design itself wasn't bad, but like you said the sun really killed it. So much so that I remember seeing on CNN back in 2004 that it was the most hated license plate in the country. A year later Kentucky replaced the "It's that friendly" plates with the current "Unbridled Spirit" ones. We actually had a similar design on the plates here in Tennessee from 2000-2006. However they took a much more simpler approach with ours as you can tell from the pic below. In my opinion this design looked way better than the one Kentucky tried to pull off with theirs.

That is funny that more people are going for the optional plates now instead of the standard ones, but when you look at the new ones you can definitely understand why. I know I would go for an optional plate over those. The numbering system for our license plates has changed twice since I've lived here, but its still always gone in order from where they started issuing a certain format and hasn't jumped around like it has there.

For example with the old plates pictured below they used a AAA-000 format, but when they started issuing the new plates in 2006 they changed to a 000-AAA format. Then when they ran out of the plates with that format they swapped over to the current format, which is A00 00A. The only other thing that changed with this last format swap was the addition of the state tourism website (www.tnvacation.com) at the bottom of our plates right above the county sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TN Rising Sun Plate.jpg (48.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 AM   #15
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
I saw one of those Heart VA plates today to the way to work. Also it was some punk ricer in a Civic Si cruising around trying to look tough, but scared that he's in Philly. HAHA in my neighborhood too. The only thing city about where I live is the ZIP code

Ahhh I know what you're talking about too. Here in DC, we call those Virginia F**kboys. Contrary to what it implies, it's just a term for a wanna be, a poser, a wanksta, etc. People don't believe me when I say a river is all that seperates 2 worlds within the same area. DC and MD are vastly different than the "Northern" area of VA (the place close to DC). In fact Central and Southern VA doesn't even like its northern portion. How Ironic is that?

That person in that ricer are the same people that say "I go to DC" but don't go to the real DC. They wouldn't step anywhere close to the areas closer to MD. Katt Williams once said "While people go out to look at DC, DC is actually looking at them". Basically means while they think they're "in DC" at the safe areas aka the downtown and federal area, the actual city of DC is looking at them acting all brand new and ignorant. I actually have met people that forget people live there.

Quote:
They are skipping numbers here as well. I remember when we had 6 numbers/letters on the plates. Then they started crying that they were running out of combos and had to go to the 7 space plates like they have now.

Doesn't PA have some odd rule that there can't be certain letters in certain positions? I remember hearing that the 2nd letter in a license plate can't be a vowel, so instead of KAA, the run starts at KBA or something like that. VA cried the same thing about the plates when they went to 4 numbers instead of 3 (AAA 101)... but VA is weird because their license plates don't start at AAA-0001 like DC and MD does. VA starts at AAA-1001. VA and DC don't use Q, and I on the plates, and MD doesn't use Q, U, and I. I never knew why on the U. This whole area has license plates all over the place. I know DC jumps so oddly. They were issuing ER XXXX during the summer but jumped to EU XXXX by years end despite not finishing the series, yet they end up being "backfilled', so you'll see cars with EU XXXX running around but out of nowhere a car with ET XXXX comes out the blue. I'm pretty sure the DMV isn't the only one issuing license plates anymore. I know MD and VA allows car dealers to issue permanent license plates

Quote:
In 1988, the first 3 letters of my parents car was TEK, and it wasn't until 1993 they had to go to AAA. They were 1/4 way thru Cxx and they went right to Dxx with the new plates and reissued everything in PA with the new style plates. It was done by ZIP code. Even number ZIP codes got their plates first, The odds got theirs last. This was in 2000, but that's also when I bought the Alero. I lived in an even ZIP code, but I went personalized anyway.

Was that when they got rid of the blue "you've got a friend" license plate?

Virginia went to 3 letters/4 numbers in 1993. They didn't bother with another 6 combination run. Maryland went from NZZ-999 to 1AB-A00 in 2006ish. They skip AAA for some reason.

This area doesn't replate so you'll see the older plates running around every now and then. It's much interesting in DC since they had embossed plates up until 2001. Then they went flat.

Quote:
Right now they are almost done Jxx, Just waiting to see the Kxx plates which should be anyday now because it's a new year.

I have had every plate since the reissue too.

ex's 95 Accent was a D
ex's 02 Cavailer was an E
my 93 cavalier Wagon was an F
My first 85 Delta was a G
My 2nd 85 Delta was an H
My Volvo is a J

There was no I plates issued, and the first wife's cars, yeah I paid for both of them anyway, so...

Hahah, I'm waiting to see what MD is going to do once June comes around. They have a limited edition run of license plates that commemorates the Star Spangled banner's 200th anniversary. It replaced the standard issue across 3 classes but will be reverting to their original design. Maryland issues car, SUV, and truck plates separately instead of plating them in the same series. Trucks get 01x-234, SUVs and Vans get M123456, although the "M" changes position when a run is done. I'm told the truck and van plate are exhausting their combination availabilities and hence why the SSB 200 plates were supposed to be a replate but was changed at the last minute. So that's kinda why I'm interested. MD license plates conflict themselves because of the 6 digit combinations. Right now, MD does a normal run for all classes of private cars (normal cars, trucks, SUVs and Minivans) but reverts back to the different types come June.

I kept my GA plates too.

Quote:
Yeah I agree that the design itself wasn't bad, but like you said the sun really killed it. So much so that I remember seeing on CNN back in 2004 that it was the most hated license plate in the country. A year later Kentucky replaced the "It's that friendly" plates with the current "Unbridled Spirit" ones. We actually had a similar design on the plates here in Tennessee from 2000-2006. However they took a much more simpler approach with ours as you can tell from the pic below. In my opinion this design looked way better than the one Kentucky tried to pull off with theirs.

That is funny that more people are going for the optional plates now instead of the standard ones, but when you look at the new ones you can definitely understand why. I know I would go for an optional plate over those. The numbering system for our license plates has changed twice since I've lived here, but its still always gone in order from where they started issuing a certain format and hasn't jumped around like it has there.

For example with the old plates pictured below they used a AAA-000 format, but when they started issuing the new plates in 2006 they changed to a 000-AAA format. Then when they ran out of the plates with that format they swapped over to the current format, which is A00 00A. The only other thing that changed with this last format swap was the addition of the state tourism website (www.tnvacation.com) at the bottom of our plates right above the county sticker.

I like Tennessee's current design, but hate that they went flat. Those flat plates are annoying to read at night or whenever there's glare on them because combination isn't raised.

I do wonder what Tennessee will do when they get to Z99-99Z. I feel that combination style was better off in DC. They went through those plates pretty fast in TN. It usually takes 3 to 4 years to progress a letter in DC. EA-0001 was late 2011 early 2012, and FA-0001 should show up sometime late this year. Perhaps around summer.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Ahhh I know what you're talking about too. Here in DC, we call those Virginia F**kboys. Contrary to what it implies, it's just a term for a wanna be, a poser, a wanksta, etc. People don't believe me when I say a river is all that seperates 2 worlds within the same area. DC and MD are vastly different than the "Northern" area of VA (the place close to DC). In fact Central and Southern VA doesn't even like its northern portion. How Ironic is that?

The north and south hate each other? HAHA sounds like NJ, but it's more about tax complaints than anything else. Here in PA Pittsburgh hates Philly, but Philly is only just starting to hate Pittsburgh. Turns out, the entire Commonwealth hates Philly and it's burbs because this is where the bulk of the funding goes. Well, when 2/3 of the state lives in just 5 counties, well its not rocket science

Quote:
Doesn't PA have some odd rule that there can't be certain letters in certain positions? I remember hearing that the 2nd letter in a license plate can't be a vowel, so instead of KAA, the run starts at KBA or something like that. VA cried the same thing about the plates when they went to 4 numbers instead of 3 (AAA 101)... but VA is weird because their license plates don't start at AAA-0001 like DC and MD does. VA starts at AAA-1001. VA and DC don't use Q, and I on the plates, and MD doesn't use Q, U, and I. I never knew why on the U. This whole area has license plates all over the place. I know DC jumps so oddly. They were issuing ER XXXX during the summer but jumped to EU XXXX by years end despite not finishing the series, yet they end up being "backfilled', so you'll see cars with EU XXXX running around but out of nowhere a car with ET XXXX comes out the blue. I'm pretty sure the DMV isn't the only one issuing license plates anymore. I know MD and VA allows car dealers to issue permanent license plates

Maybe back a while ago, but now it's like they cannot use the same three letters on the plate, but only when they went to the new 3 color plate. For example DAA was never used because AAD was used already. When I applied for a Vintage tag, the first three letters were JXT. Well those letters were already used.

Quote:
Was that when they got rid of the blue "you've got a friend" license plate?

No it lasted from 1984ish to about 1987. My Parents bought the Nova in 1988 and it was a regular "Keystone State" on the top and "Pennsylvania" on the bottom. It was axed because it showed "poor Grammer" but again bring up the grammer part, and "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" would be more like a Philly type dialect, which made the other 62 counties here cry, once again

Quote:

Virginia went to 3 letters/4 numbers in 1993. They didn't bother with another 6 combination run. Maryland went from NZZ-999 to 1AB-A00 in 2006ish. They skip AAA for some reason.

This area doesn't replate so you'll see the older plates running around every now and then. It's much interesting in DC since they had embossed plates up until 2001. Then they went flat.

Hahah, I'm waiting to see what MD is going to do once June comes around. They have a limited edition run of license plates that commemorates the Star Spangled banner's 200th anniversary. It replaced the standard issue across 3 classes but will be reverting to their original design. Maryland issues car, SUV, and truck plates separately instead of plating them in the same series. Trucks get 01x-234, SUVs and Vans get M123456, although the "M" changes position when a run is done. I'm told the truck and van plate are exhausting their combination availabilities and hence why the SSB 200 plates were supposed to be a replate but was changed at the last minute. So that's kinda why I'm interested. MD license plates conflict themselves because of the 6 digit combinations. Right now, MD does a normal run for all classes of private cars (normal cars, trucks, SUVs and Minivans) but reverts back to the different types come June.

I kept my GA plates too.

I like Tennessee's current design, but hate that they went flat. Those flat plates are annoying to read at night or whenever there's glare on them because combination isn't raised.

I do wonder what Tennessee will do when they get to Z99-99Z. I feel that combination style was better off in DC. They went through those plates pretty fast in TN. It usually takes 3 to 4 years to progress a letter in DC. EA-0001 was late 2011 early 2012, and FA-0001 should show up sometime late this year. Perhaps around summer.

Funny, I picked up an "Animal Friendly" TN plate for my son. The picture of the cat and dog on the plate is the cutest I've ever seen IMHO. We have animal freindly plates here, but it looks like a regualr plate, with some weird dog dance on it:

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-07-2015, 04:56 AM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
The north and south hate each other? HAHA sounds like NJ, but it's more about tax complaints than anything else. Here in PA Pittsburgh hates Philly, but Philly is only just starting to hate Pittsburgh. Turns out, the entire Commonwealth hates Philly and it's burbs because this is where the bulk of the funding goes. Well, when 2/3 of the state lives in just 5 counties, well its not rocket science

Yup, but that's because the northern section of Virginia is a transient area filled with bedroom communities that are full of smug and douchebag attitudes. Truthfully it's most of the state vs the DC Metro area of the state. It's a cultural and economic divide.

Funny that you bring up the Pittsburgh/Philly thing. NWDC folks are scared of anything across a specific river that divides the city in 2. SE and parts of NE DC are across the Anacostia river, so most in the NW area avoid it. That's mostly economic.

I never realized PA was that rural. I always assumed it was more suburban like Maryland that has pockets of rural areas but is mostly suburbs.

Quote:
Maybe back a while ago, but now it's like they cannot use the same three letters on the plate, but only when they went to the new 3 color plate. For example DAA was never used because AAD was used already. When I applied for a Vintage tag, the first three letters were JXT. Well those letters were already used.

Well that's a weird system. They'll be running out of letters quick. I thought they couldn't use the same 3 letters like JJJ or GGG.

Quote:
No it lasted from 1984ish to about 1987. My Parents bought the Nova in 1988 and it was a regular "Keystone State" on the top and "Pennsylvania" on the bottom. It was axed because it showed "poor Grammer" but again bring up the grammer part, and "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" would be more like a Philly type dialect, which made the other 62 counties here cry, once again

The Toyota Corolla Nova or a real Chevy Nova?

and how is "Keystone State" grammatically incorrect? I'm pretty sure most phrases on license plates are fragment sentences. "Taxation Without Representation" is a fragment sentence and no one blinks an eye at it here in DC. More people complained about the change to "District Of Columbia" from "Washington, DC" Because with the bolts it read "Strict of Colum"
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Philly has 1.5 million people, Pittsburgh has 412,000.

Susquehanna County which is way up on the NY/PA border and Interstate 81 runs thru it, has 53 people per square mile. There are less than 45,000 people in the entire county. HA there are more than 53 people on my 1/4 of the block I live on. Def a "hick stick" county.

However when it comes to inspection, these small counties are a joke. There are 3 types of counties in PA in terms of inspection. Green, Yellow, and Red

Philly is a Red County. Full emissions, very strict, car burps it fails

Yellow is just a visial check to see if the emissions are there

Green, is usually saftey inspection only

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #19
That01Olds
GLS member

Quote:

Yeah I like our current design as well, but I don't mind that they went flat. They mainly did that like a lot of other states have because it's cheaper to make than the embossed ones and I've personally never had any problems with reading our plates. Even with them being flat.

I'm also curious to see what they're going to do when we get to Z99 99Z. Especially because I thought they were going to change the design when they ran out of the 000-AAA format, but then decided to keep the same design and just change the numbering system instead. So now I'm wondering if they're just going to change the format again or decide to change the design when they run out this time.

You're right though, they've gone through that format pretty quickly. They started issuing A## ##A between mid 2011 and early 2012 depending on what county you lived in. I noticed the other day that they're up to S## ##P already. So I'm thinking they will get another year maybe 2 if they're lucky out of the current numbering system.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 AM   #20
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Philly has 1.5 million people, Pittsburgh has 412,000.

Susquehanna County which is way up on the NY/PA border and Interstate 81 runs thru it, has 53 people per square mile. There are less than 45,000 people in the entire county. HA there are more than 53 people on my 1/4 of the block I live on. Def a "hick stick" county.

However when it comes to inspection, these small counties are a joke. There are 3 types of counties in PA in terms of inspection. Green, Yellow, and Red

Philly is a Red County. Full emissions, very strict, car burps it fails

Yellow is just a visial check to see if the emissions are there

Green, is usually saftey inspection only

My area is all sorts of weird for inspection and emissions. MD requires inspection only once. You can buy a brand new car and it will never be inspected as long as you own it, but it has to be inspected when sold. Usually it becomes an owner item to make a deal. Inspection isn't cheap. It's $200 or so. Emissions are every 2 years for any car built after 1976.

Virginia requires emissions ONLY near the DC area. It's 3 counties and 5 cities that require it, and it's done bianually for a period of 25 years from the build year of the car. So no car from 1990 will be emissions tested this year. 91+ are fair game. Also, if you're wondering what seperates a city from a county in VA, cities don't belong to a county. For example, the City of Alexandria is an independent chartered city that has public services like a county but has a mayor and a city council unlike a county that has a board of supervisors. In a city setting, you vote for the mayor and city council whereas in a county you only vote for a representative of your part of the county which in turn they vote for an at large supervisor. From what I've read, very few cities are independent of counties.

Everywhere else in VA, it's just a yearly inspection. All of VA is subject to an inspection.

DC got rid of its inspection program and only tests emissions. Their language implies that they still have inspections, but they will only inspect your emissions. Emissions are every 2 years.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited