Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 07-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #21
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Bahlzeron is on a distinguished road
To get the sound you are looking for you may need to swap out the resonator with a glasspack, or delete it totally. Try different combinations, you'll get the sound you want. My old alero (2.4l), someone had deleted the resonator and catalytic but left the stock muffler in place.. sounded pretty good, much deeper than the one I have now.
Bahlzeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #22
jlhog
GX Member

jlhog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahlzeron View Post
To get the sound you are looking for you may need to swap out the resonator with a glasspack, or delete it totally. Try different combinations, you'll get the sound you want. My old alero (2.4l), someone had deleted the resonator and catalytic but left the stock muffler in place.. sounded pretty good, much deeper than the one I have now.

I will get what I want or put the stock muffler back on. Not a big deal.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #23
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahlzeron View Post
Go for the redneck ultra coolness glass pack, O'Reilly sells Thrush glass packs for 'bout $22 right now. I plan on going catless (possibly a high flow cat), and no resonator with glass pack with my 2.4l, nice free flowing exhaust (even better after I get my header on).

I tried going catless, due to a clogged cat. I did not even last 10 minutes. Terrible rasp. And I kind of felt a bit of bogging. Once I installed a Magnaflow cat though, problem solved.

I believe a member here would run two mufflers. One where it goes, and one in place of the resonator. He said sound was pretty good, and flow was great as well.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
jlhog
GX Member

Making a little progress. New headlight assemblies and HID bulbs are installed. The front strut tower brace is installed. The windows are all tinted 35% now. My son went camping this weekend so the muffler and probably the HID fog light bulbs will wait until next weekend. I may try the fog lights tomorrow, but this old guy hates laying on the ground. can anyone tell me what number the bulb is that is directly in front of the shifter in the console? I want to get an led and do not see it listed in the manual...
Old 07-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #25
jlhog
GX Member

Well I did change the fog light bulbs also. It was easier to remove the headlight and do it from above. I am disappointed with the cheap HID bulbs I bought. I may go with the Phillips CrystalVision Ultra. Something is not right with the headlight assemblies either, but I hope to get that sorted also. Can the fog lights be taken apart to clean them up?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #26
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
U may want to start dedicated threads about these issues much more change someone answers, and provide pics to help aid you.

and yes, the foglights can be taken apart, BUT be careful the reflective part in all light housing is just steamed on chrome, so even a finger smear or wipe with a towel will remove the chrome
(don't ask me how I know)
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #27
jlhog
GX Member

Sounds pretty good with no muffler. I had my son put the Thrush Turbo 2.25" muffler on . No video of that yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKD9hTvFRWg&sns=emjl
Old 07-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #28
jlhog
GX Member

I got the car back from my son yesterday. He cut the muffler off and installed a Thrush Welded muffler 2.25" in and 2.25" out. He used an adapter to go from 2" to 2.25". My thought was better sound from the 2.25" and better selection of exhaust tips. Well it does sound pretty good. Nice rumble to it. I can see my mpg's going down as I like to hit the throttle a little harder now. I will post a video after I get the tip on....