Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 03-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

battistoni21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to battistoni21
Does anybody know how to fix a front hub assembly? My left HUB is relly starting to annoy me because i can really feel it now, and my brakes are starting to go i think. When i go to stop its as if the brakes are pulsating..........like braking then not then braking then not, but like all at one u know??? i don't know how to explain it well but i really need help with this..... could anyone give me an easy way to fix my hubs myself?

Thanks
Shane
battistoni21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
i fuond that when you brake and the car is pulsing back and forth, (correct me if im worng anyone) i think it maybe just a warped rotor and/or your brakes are shot along with it, same thing is happening with mine and i know my brakes and rotors are gone
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

:Noooo: you GOT to be kidding me awww mannnnn i hope they can last me a little bit longer.... im not going to be driving as much as i usually do, hopefully they last another 2 months at least....
Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

again... not 100% sure maybe someone will step up and confirm that as a fact, i personally would like to know myself, kinda curious
Old 03-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, that would be an indication of warped rotors. The could last a long time, but generally get worse and can be really annoying, not to mention dangerous if they get really bad. If you feel an actual grinding, then your pads are probably shot as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Stanl3yX
V.I.P. Member

Stanl3yX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stanl3yX Send a message via Yahoo to Stanl3yX
my rotors are shot but forunately im finally getting cross/drilled rotors and new ceramic pads in this saturday at 12 noon!!! .

but yea my braking has been acting up just as you described, took it to the shop, and they said my rotors were warped. but this was about a year ago lol, and they lasted this long........so all i can say is that yea they will definitely not go out on you (any time soon at least). my only advice is to give yourself a lot of breaking distance until you get new rotors...
Stanl3yX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
yeah... about that hub assembly... what do you mean fix it? the only thing you can do is replace it... they run about 110$ each retail... i just bought 2 of them with 20k miles on them on ebay for 40$... i think i got a great deal though... to replace them just take off your wheel then your rotor and there are three bolts on the back side of it ... undo the nuts and pull it off... you gotta get the ones with the abs sensors in them don't forget... my hubs aren't even bad but my abs sensors are fried... that's why i'm replacing them... if your rotors are warped but still thick you can have them turned (resurfaced) ...

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Be careful if you get them resurfaced though, as you are taking metal off and they can then warp quite quickly if you're not.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
don't even waste the money resurfacing the factory rotors. just replace them with a good rotor
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

Alright thanks everyone, i think i am going to get new hubs and hopefully after all the engine stuff is done, new cross drilled rotors, with ceramic pads....... im thinkin of getting to brembo rotors..... hopefully i can find some that will fit the alero, if not, which are good ones that some of you prefer? Anyways, thanks for all the help guys!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
Menace
@Kutztown University PA

Menace is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Menace
Rotors really arent that expsensive. Biggest mistake I did when doing my brakes was I kept my stock callipers. I really should have upgraded to more pistons. After I get some money together and after my kit goes on I might upgrade my brake system.

2007 Scion tC in driveway!!

Stuff for sale

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:28 AM   #12
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Quote:
Originally posted by battistoni21+Mar 24 2006, 07:39 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(battistoni21 @ Mar 24 2006, 07:39 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Alright thanks everyone, i think i am going to get new hubs and hopefully after all the engine stuff is done, new cross drilled rotors, with ceramic pads....... im thinkin of getting to brembo rotors..... hopefully i can find some that will fit the alero, if not, which are good ones that some of you prefer? Anyways, thanks for all the help guys!
[/b]

x2..........im curious as to what ones are better for our cars since i need to buy new ones here soon.

<!--QuoteBegin-Menace
@Mar 24 2006, 08:52 AM
Rotors really arent that expsensive. Biggest mistake I did when doing my brakes was I kept my stock callipers. I really should have upgraded to more pistons. After I get some money together and after my kit goes on I might upgrade my brake system.
[/quote]

didnt think the callipers would be a problem, there a certian kind/brand you perferr?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

menace did you mean more pistons like in the engine or is there pistons near or with the brakes??? lol you can laugh if this is an easy question.....
Old 03-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

it's ok... i'll laugh first... HAHAHA... ok i'm done... the caliper has a hydrolic piston in it... that's what presses the pads to the rotors when you hit the brakes... it's called a piston... and some calipers have more than one... the stock calipers have one center placed one...

Old 03-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
More pistons only allow more force on the rotor with less pedal movement. Larger rotor will be a bigger benefit (pardon the pun).
Old 03-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #16
battistoni21
V.I.P. Member

i get it now.... lol thanks guys, sorry for bein a retard.... is there any difference between looks between cross drilled and slotted rotors??? Is one of them better than the other?

i get it now.... lol thanks guys, sorry for bein a retard.... is there any difference between looks between cross drilled and slotted rotors??? Is one of them better than the other?

wtf????? sorry bout that, i guess my data was saved.... i didnt know how that worked
Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

a lot of the time they have both... slotting and holes... but yeah there's a difference... slotted one have grooves that dont go all the way through... and drilled ones have holes in them... it's just done to disperse heat faster (becasue after all, heat is what causes them to warp) and and direct the brake dust away from the pads...

I had a friend that hit the brakes hard in a 3000GT vr-4 at almost 140... instant warpage... it was terrible... he had to replace the rotors right away or it was nearly impossible to drive the car...