Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #21
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
thanks for bumping this. I was wondering how to take the airbag off so I can properly replace my cruise control switch later on.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #22
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Be warned... my steering wheel wouldn't budge. Even using the proper tools.

I took mine into a monroe muffler (on transit for albino) they worked on it for about 30 mins and gave my keys back. "we don't want to break your steering wheel... it isn't budging. I suggest going to the dealer"

...so now it sits at the dealer. For the $27 plastic/metal ring that the multihazard sits on....

LAME!
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
slownlow43
GX Member

slownlow43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Time to bump an old thread rather than start a new one. Does anyone have the part number for this slip ring? It appears it's the reason why my horn isn't working as well.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #24
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
bump, my horn decided to freak out this week... Was at a red light and some lady wouldn't turn... went through three red lights... I finally tooted the horn and it wouldn't stop. I felt bad.... Got it to stop shortly after, but hasn't worked since.... Bumping so I can find this when I figure out what's wrong and fix it...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #25
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same experience in my Grand Am. I had to change the Airbag module. There's a button inside the airbag that activates the horn and it had fallen out of place within the airbag in my car. I don't know if the Alero was built the same way.
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
1. Take off the steering column covers. 3 torx screws. I can't remember what size. No. 30 bit?

T25 there on my 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
2. Remove the airbag from steering wheel by taking out the two No. 30 torx from the back of the steering wheel.

Not sure exactly how you got the tool in there???
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
2fastshifter
GX Member

2fastshifter is on a distinguished road
just my two cents. . . . .

my (air)horn used to set off in the middle of the night when temperatures drop in the winter and wake the neigbourhood until the circuit breaker burned out a few times.
i tried to run the horn power by a line that was only powered when the engine was on but that resulted in ramdom horning while driving.

It was the airbag crimping in the cold that activated the build in hornswitch.

i dissassembled the airbag, and lead the hornswitch-wires to the console where i mounted a simple chrome doorbell switch for my horn next to the handbrake.

a lot cheaper than a new airbag and it works great.

Last edited by 2fastshifter : 02-07-2014 at 08:14 AM.
2fastshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #28
AleroJones
GX Member

AleroJones is on a distinguished road
After reading this thread I imagine this is my next job!
The horn on my car has never worked so I checked fuses, the relay and finally took the plastic fender shroud loose enough to see the horn was disconnected. I plugged it back in and the horn immediately starting blaring! Just about deafened me as I was so close to the horn...LOL! Anyway unless someone here has any other ideas I will start looking for the part first before I take anything apart.
AleroJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #29
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
I had that issue. I cut the horn ring out. Then I cut the ground wire going to the horn circuit in the multi-function switch and wired it to a toggle switch in the shift bezel. So now when I want the horn I just flip the switch.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote