Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 11-18-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
havik

DIFFICULTY:
TIME:

Originally posted by Naich

Get any oil you feel comfotable with. I have been using Penzoil, but I usually use valvoline. I picked up like 20 bottles of penzoil a few months ago on sale, so I've been using that. You'll use about 4 and 1/2 quarts of oil. All you REALLY need is oil and a filter. Having a filter wrench makes it easier...

Here's a quick run-through. Before you start, take the oil cap off, to let air in while the oil is draining, otherwise it'll take forever to drain.

1. put oil pan under block
2. pull the oil plug.
3. let it drain out for a few minutes
4. use the filter wrench to break loose the filter. It shouldn't be on too tight.
5. take off the filter, let it drain, put filter somewhere where oil can drain out of it.
6. take the new filter, and dip your finger in the old oil. Run your finger around the rubber of the new filter (creates a better seal)
7. screw on the new filter, hand tighten... maybe a 1/2 twist with the filter wrench.
8. put the plug back in
9. use a funnel to put 4.5 quarts in... i reccomend putting in 4, and then start the car and let it run for a few minutes. then, check the oil to see if it is full or not, add more till it's full.
10. put cap back on.
11. put oil in an old milk gallon container or something, and bring it to the recycle center.

total cost- ~$20 first time, $10-12 each additional time

total time- ~20 minutes
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
jiffy

Just a little Q. I bought a bunch of oil and filters on sale at pepboys figuring I can change my oil a few times this year when it warms up outside. Anyways, I've changed oil on my old trucks before, but I haven't done it myself yet on the Alero.

Before I go ahead and cut UPCs to mail in for rebates, can anyone tell me if I am up for any unseen challenges or difficulties (ie. hard to access filter?) that would warrant me just letting a shop do this instead or is the Alero easy to change the oil on yourself?

FYI its a '03.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
no it's quite easy... well... i dunno what engine you have.... but if it's a 2.4 then the filter is right behind that black plastic that is under the bumper... the plastic piece unclips and drops out and the filter is right there... if you have a v6 let someone else answer... lol

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
it's in the same spot.

use a 15mm wrench, and the filter and plug both go to the right, (pass side) to come off.

I don't buy many filters up front, I'm afraid that the seal will rot out

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a little heads up if you have the 2.2. The oil filter is located on the right front hand side of the engine underneath your air intake hose... It is a plastic part that has a nut built into the top of it. It will be right next to the cylinder and uses a cartridge style filter that you have to clip into the cover...hope that helps...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
jiffy

Woops, shoulda said, its the V6.

I assume I would follow redog's post then, right?
Old 02-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Alero2k4
GL Member

I believe the 3400 uses a traditional style filter...it shouldn't be too difficult to find.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
racin4JC
GL Member

racin4JC is an unknown quantity at this point
If have no place to bring oil works great for weed control around buildings if you don't mind a little black stuff, or on untreated wood boards. (Would not advise this activity if living in large community where lot's of people care, or if stupid kids that like to eat things are running around)!
racin4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
Alero2k4
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by racin4JC@Feb 16 2006, 03:53 PM
If have no place to bring oil works great for weed control around buildings if you don't mind a little black stuff, or on untreated wood boards.Â;-) (Would not advise this activity if living in large community where lot's of people care, or if stupid kids that like to eat things are running around)!
There are plenty of shops heated by waste oil, my dad being one, and alot of people who own garages use them. Just call around to shops and you are bound to find one who will gladly take it off of your hands!!! You really shouldn't pollute...