Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
radomirthegreat
GX Member

radomirthegreat is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to radomirthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to radomirthegreat Send a message via Skype™ to radomirthegreat
Modding my 2001 Alero

When I got the car, it had a bad ignition setup, a broken intake, and clogged cats. So, I bought a 2000 Dodge Neon ignition coil, 1998 Chevy S-10 4 cyl spark plug wires, and some tubing. Here are the pictures, starting with a classy quadruple-park photo.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac171/rjordanovic/CIMG0081-4.jpg[/IMG]

They were out of black couplers, so I had to get a red one.

radomirthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
radomirthegreat
GX Member

Send a message via AIM to radomirthegreat Send a message via Yahoo to radomirthegreat Send a message via Skype™ to radomirthegreat
Ignition wire work:

Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
very nice work
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome, glad to see you are jumping right into things. Is that your shop? I see some Hoosier slicks in the background.......
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
nice pics
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
what is the little filter under your overflow reservoir??

and why retrofit things? that engine has tons of aftermarket parts, as well as probably tons of junkyard versions...
Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post

and why retrofit things? that engine has tons of aftermarket parts, as well as probably tons of junkyard versions...

I forget what its called lol, but my civic has the same thing, it feeds into the stock airbox, when I put the intake on my civic, I just fed it in through a bung with a hose, was throwing a code without it in, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the IAT
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:

Both questions that I have as well.

Props on the work

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Quote:

PCV maybe? or is that another thing they didn't bother to put on the LD9, lol.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #10
radomirthegreat
GX Member

Hey, I'm back! Sorry, I thought I was subscribed to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
very nice work
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
Welcome, glad to see you are jumping right into things. Is that your shop? I see some Hoosier slicks in the background.......
That's actually Cozzolino Motorsports here in Indianapolis. They do amazing work with a chassis jig, a dyno, lots of welding and painting equipment, and incredibly competent people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord2heart View Post
nice pics
Thanks!

Quote:

Thanks for asking - I forgot to mention it. The filter is for the PCV. I routed the PCV hose to the reservoir and put a PCV valve on it plus a filter after that. And of all the things that were done, what was retrofitted? I'd gladly put on something made for the LD9 if it cost as much or less than just backyard engineering it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
I forget what its called lol, but my civic has the same thing, it feeds into the stock airbox, when I put the intake on my civic, I just fed it in through a bung with a hose, was throwing a code without it in, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the IAT
You're probably talking about the PCV, which on a Civic (and I'm not sure why not on the LD9) is an issue if it's unplugged. Neither one has a mass airflow sensor, so the PCV being kept in there is very helpful on startups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Both questions that I have as well.

Props on the work
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
PCV maybe? or is that another thing they didn't bother to put on the LD9, lol.
Interesting... What else, aside from the MAF, was left out?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
So i'm assuming you work for them then? Are you a painter? fabricator?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
Lucalare
GLS member

Some LD9's came without an EGR valve, which is extremely odd because I was under the impression those became mandatory in the early 90's.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
kwhauck
2Screwy

EGRs are a waste, first thing I did was delete that crap.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
radomirthegreat
GX Member

Quote:
So i'm assuming you work for them then? Are you a painter? fabricator?
Actually, I just take my cars there. I'm supposed to help them redo their website since site work and site hosting are my means of self-employment. I'm in college now for Motorsports Engineering, which is Mechanical Eng with an internship thrown in. Also, I went to two colleges one semester, the other being a community college where I went through welding courses. At Cozzolino Motorsports, I welded one hanger to my exhaust pipe while Pete Cozzolino was out painting a racecar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
Some LD9's came without an EGR valve, which is extremely odd because I was under the impression those became mandatory in the early 90's.
The EGR valve and cat are sometimes excluded on post-1974 cars as long as they're non-catalyst certified, IIRC. Also, some new cars with variable valve timing can keep the exhaust valve open just long enough on the intake that some exhaust gas is worked back into the combustion chamber. This is a cleaner process than dumping exhaust into the intake, and it doesn't require a valve. I'm not sure if any LD9 has VVT, or but that's just one more way to get around an EGR. Also, an EGR makes no sense for turbo cars and plus the slight backpressure at idle and slight throttle, when the EGR valve is open, makes up for the lack of one. Probably no LD9 came turbocharged, but I'm just guessing anyway.

Quote:
EGRs are a waste, first thing I did was delete that crap.
After deleting my EGR on my other car, a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville, I had no more need to clean the intake. I was working on my friend's 2001 V6 Mustang, and his EGR delete took some retuning because Ford doesn't make up for a lacking EGR valve nor accounts for it using the MAP sensor for some reason. I love GM!

Dodge Neon ignition coil, S-10 plug wires, modified intake, K&N drop-in air filter, and a Magnaflow cat
Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Lucalare
GLS member

Wow, I didn't know about all that stuff to avoid and EGR, cool to learn new stuff.