Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
Grand am GT side skirts on an Alero

Since I had to paint the whole car anyways, I decided to do something a little different and put Grand am GT side ground effects on it. I was a little worried about how it would look with stock Alero bumpers but I think it looks pretty sharp. Its also still completely de-badged from the paint job and I intend to leave it that way. Tell me what you think...

I'm not going to do a how-to or anything like that but I do have some info about how its done that might come in handy to someone out there (because I couldn't find any info online). First, you will need a LOT of automotive double sided tape. Its pretty expensive stuff so be prepaired for that. You have to take off the old double sided tape first, which is time consuming with the proper tools and would have been a nightmare if I hadn't had the proper tools. Three fat strips on each of the doors and a lot on the skirts too. You will need to drill some holes on the wheel wells and on the fender but all the holes and clips on the bottom where the old Alero ground effects were can be reused if you don't break them taking the old one off. For the people who want to hide the rust on their two door this way, if there is a lot of rust you wont have holes left to clip the ground effects into so I wouldn't recommend it but it will probably hide less severe rust. Thats it!

Last edited by zman246 : 03-27-2012 at 03:54 PM.
zman246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, that looks a lot better than I had imagined. clean ho you got there too
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it looks awesome too actually. I was kinda iffy on the idea until I saw this, nice man... real nice
Old 03-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
i don't think it looks terrible however i think it could look better if at the top of the ground effects you had finished it to where it had a smooth joint into the door because the line down the door kinda kills the flow that you would have going there otherwise
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Reminds me crazytaxi.......he did that years ago.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
I think it looks great, props for trying something different!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
that really does surprisingly good. I would say it looks like it need dropped even more though... nice clean install, glad you did this, I know there have been people asking questions about it before.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Looks awesome on a coupe. Not too sure if it'd work on a sedan though. Kudos for trying something different!

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
I plan on doing that as well. I have found half of the skirting so far, but I plan on using it to compliment my Razzi kit as well. You did a nice job on this. I hadn't thought of using it to cover rust on a 2 door. I am using my razzi to cover all of my bumper imperfections from the years.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
i don't think it looks terrible however i think it could look better if at the top of the ground effects you had finished it to where it had a smooth joint into the door because the line down the door kinda kills the flow that you would have going there otherwise

What are you talking about? Are you referring to the divet between the front of the door and the fender? If so, that has to be there so that the door will open properly. If not, I'm lost but I'd be interested to know since I plan to do this soon.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
I think those sideskirts would look good with an OSV front and rear bumper

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
Looks awesome on a coupe. Not too sure if it'd work on a sedan though. Kudos for trying something different!

Crazytaxi has a 4dr with the ga sides. Looks good with AED and razzi.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

now it need ga gt side mirrors. that would help complete the look a lot.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
now it need ga gt side mirrors. that would help complete the look a lot.

I prefer the stock Alero mirrors personally. The ga gt mirrors seem like they stick out a lot farther than the alero mirrors and they are squared on the end which doesn't flow as well with the smooth curves of the Alero in contrast to the sharp lines of the ga and ga gt... Just my opinion. I'm jealous that this guy got his done before me.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #15
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

you are still one of the few
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
fisdad

I know. To each their own. I'm also one of the few that wants my headlight bezels painted body color. I'm just a freak i guess.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad people like it
zman246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
What are you talking about? Are you referring to the divet between the front of the door and the fender? If so, that has to be there so that the door will open properly. If not, I'm lost but I'd be interested to know since I plan to do this soon.

the area circled in red is what i am talking about

Last edited by 03glgold : 04-24-2014 at 10:15 AM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
fisdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
the area circled in red is what i am talking about

Ah. That black belt line. Gotcha.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
I am not a fan at all. I also think it looks like a 4x4.