Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #41
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
I may try that, but I'm skeptical.. Few problems...

- I need to paint the body kit and grand am gt side moldings anyway.

- There are huge rock chips on my hood down to the metal which are deep.

- Long, deep scratches on my roof (2 feet long) and trunk lid (1 foot long) and a deep scratch on my drivers side quarter panel just above my rear bumper cover that is about 4 inches long and 3/16 wide down to the metal.

The rock chips and scratches will still be there after the repaint. If you really want them gone you'll have to pay the shop extra to sand them out or glaze them. Either way they should prime them afterwards. Same goes for the scratches- they have to be sanded out and primed and sanded again and sealed before paint. If you can't feel the scratches with your fingernail then you could probably get away with having the shop sand them out before paint with no bodywork necessary. Most of the time those kinds of scratches can even be sanded and buffed out with no painting needed. If you held off on paint then I suppose you could get touch up paint for the chips but you're kind of screwed on the deep scratches.
zman246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #42
zman246
GX Member

zman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond reputezman246 has a reputation beyond repute
To be fair, I should also mention that if you were to get just the kit and ground effects painted the color might not perfectly match the car. Most cars have several variants of each color and cheap paints like Maaco uses don't usually account for that. If you want to see what I mean take a look at the bumpers on cars. A bumper is painted at a different time than the car is so the color variant is a different. You can tell when you're looking for it but most people will go their whole lives without noticing. If that wouldn't bother you, consider painting just the kit and ground effects. Or not, its up to you. I took a look at you're pics and I'm impressed by how well the paint still looks for a car thats at least 8 years old.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #43
rfcrime
GX Member

rfcrime is on a distinguished road
I wonder if there are four door Grand ams, probably. Also you think the this would be just as easy for the fo do?
rfcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #44
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfcrime View Post
I wonder if there are four door Grand ams, probably. Also you think the this would be just as easy for the fo do?

O.O where have you been? there are tons of 4dr ga's...
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
rfcrime
GX Member

rfcrime is on a distinguished road
ha I had a mustang before this, and grand ams just never interested me, but if I can get the four door black moldings for cheap, and the mirrors, its might kill a weekend
rfcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #46
zman246
GX Member

Quote:
ha I had a mustang before this, and grand ams just never interested me, but if I can get the four door black moldings for cheap, and the mirrors, its might kill a weekend

It should work the same. It'll look weird if you just get the door moldings, you'll need the rocker moldings too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Pontiac made any maroon Grand am GTs so you'll need them painted if you want them the right color.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #47
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman246 View Post
It should work the same. It'll look weird if you just get the door moldings, you'll need the rocker moldings too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Pontiac made any maroon Grand am GTs so you'll need them painted if you want them the right color.
iv seen maroon 4dr ga's in my local small town. cant recall if they had the moldings or not. it might look ok with only the doors, it would be a good experiment.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #48
zman246
GX Member

I sold her last weekend, but I had to snap a few final pics before saying goodbye!

I 'upgraded' to a 4 door Grand am but I'm already missing my V6...
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #49
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Uhm..... I drive one.

Now, I've never seen a Maroon GA GT like yours though. You would have to get it painted to match your Alero.

But it would be the same thing for the 4 doe. The doors are glued on with double sided tape and the rocker panel actually attaches to the fender, so there's a lot of clips you have to look for when taking them off. Other than that, same thing as the OP's Alero.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #50
DJx79x
GX Member

DJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond repute
Would this process be an easier/cheaper way to cover or fix the rust issues on Aleros?
DJx79x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #51
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Nope, only way to fix rust is by bondo and welding new sheet metal on. lol
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #52
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to WIALERO
Now i found a way to fix my rust and make my alero look good side skirts miggt match my ga mirrors
WIALERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #53
zman246
GX Member

Just watch out if you're doing this to cover rust. If your rust is bad, you'll have nothing left to clip the ground effects into. Or at least you'll have to do some improvising.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #54
WIALERO
GL Member

WIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these partsWIALERO is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to WIALERO
My rust is not that bad maybe a lil bit of bondo wilk do the trick you from wi why dont you come to hustisfors and show me how to do it lol
WIALERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #55
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
to each his own, i just feel the side moldings never went well with aleros.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #56
DJx79x
GX Member

DJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond reputeDJx79x has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed but to me this looks a lot better than rust and is cheeper to accomplish
DJx79x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #57
Babyblue
GL Member

Babyblue is on a distinguished road
looks good.
2004 GLS #40 of the final 500. 3500 swap and F-40 6-speed.
Babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #58
zman246
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIALERO View Post
My rust is not that bad maybe a lil bit of bondo wilk do the trick you from wi why dont you come to hustisfors and show me how to do it lol

Lol its easy but still kind of a pain. There is a LOT of automotive double sided tape holding these things on. It took a long time with a razor blade and a rubber wheel to get all of it off. I hate taking it off plastic parts. You have to go super slow with the wheel or you melt the plastic. Not fun and I sure as hell don't want to do it again!

If anyone else does do it then post some pics. I'm curious to see how it would look on a lighter color car.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #59
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad

My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #60
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

You still trying to sell that ryan?...