Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Silver SLP
GX Member

Silver SLP is on a distinguished road
New system - Static depending on amp location

I just sold my old system and purchased 1 12" Alpine Type S sub at 4 ohms and the Alpine MRV-M500 (mono) amp. Threw it in a sealed box and it sounds awesome... would definitely recommend!

I have my amp mounted on top of the sub box. If I slide the box all the way to the back of my seats, in between the two rear 6X9 speakers, I pick up a ton of static and radio stations hardly come in. If I pull the box out towards the rear of the trunk, a lot of the static goes away and I can pick up all of the local radio stations. There is no static when playing CD's or my iPod.

My last system consisted of 2 12" Pioneer Premier subs with a Kenwood KAC-5204 amp and I did not experience this problem. The amp was mounted on top of the sub box as well.

I am running 8 gauge wire and my ground is attached at the right strut mount and words great. My battery wire is connected from the accessory terminal post right next to the battery running to the amp.

Obviously, I would like to keep my box against the rear seats to save as much space as possible in the rest of the trunk. That was the main reason I got a new system.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
Only radio stations don't work then?

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Silver SLP
GX Member

Yeah. Some come in decent, but others that I used to get with my old system are filled with static. Then once I move my amp around they come in better.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
That's odd. Maybe it's the wiring interfering with the rear speakers, just like you're not supposed to run RCAs and power wire along the same side of the car. The amp itself shouldn't be doing this.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
S8track16
GL Member

Is there only static from the rear speakers?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Silver SLP
GX Member

I have the power wire run along the drivers side, and the remote wire and RCA's run along the passenger side. I have read about high quality patch cable RCA's but would this fix the problem?

And all 4 speakers are doing this. Especially when there is bass.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
If it's only doing this with radio, then there issue is in between the wiring and the radio antenna stuff. I know Aleros got the window antenna, so you might want to diagnose that first before swapping out RCA's or other stuff. Swapping the RCA's isn't going to help much because it's not a persistent problem (ie, it doesn't happen with CD's Aux, or USB).
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Silver SLP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
If it's only doing this with radio, then there issue is in between the wiring and the radio antenna stuff. I know Aleros got the window antenna, so you might want to diagnose that first before swapping out RCA's or other stuff. Swapping the RCA's isn't going to help much because it's not a persistent problem (ie, it doesn't happen with CD's Aux, or USB).

The weird thing is, as long as I turn the amp "off" (where the light is still on, it's just not putting power to the sub through the setting on my Kenwood deck) the problem is gone. Once I turn it back "on", the static comes back. Last year I had the problem where my antenna booster signal wire wasn't connected.

Or, if it is turned "on" and I pull the whole box out to the back of the trunk, stations come in better. So could it be that the amp is some how interfering with the antenna module in the "C" pillar?

Last edited by Silver SLP : 01-28-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Silver SLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver SLP View Post
The weird thing is, as long as I turn the amp "off" (where the light is still on, it's just not putting power to the sub through the setting on my Kenwood deck) the problem is gone. Once I turn it back "on", the static comes back. Last year I had the problem where my antenna booster signal wire wasn't connected.

Or, if it is turned "on" and I pull the whole box out to the back of the trunk, stations come in better. So could it be that the amp is some how interfering with the antenna module in the "C" pillar?

I thought Alero's had the Antenna on the rear window as lines like the defroster....

But yeah, I think that may be the case, is the ground interfering with anything remotely close to the antenna?

Better yet, where is the amp grounded?
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
Silver SLP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
I thought Alero's had the Antenna on the rear window as lines like the defroster....

But yeah, I think that may be the case, is the ground interfering with anything remotely close to the antenna?

Better yet, where is the amp grounded?

The antenna itself is a part of the rear window. But there is an antenna module/booster that is in the right side "C" pillar.

My new amp is a class D amp. My previous amp was a class AB. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, all wiring is exactly the same and connected the same way.

The amp is grounded on the right strut mount. Which is close to the "C" pillar.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #11
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
I started having this issue myself with new subs. Amp is on the side of my box. Grounded to seat bolt. When amp was on driver side of box I had no issue. Now that I turned subs around so amp on passenger side I get bass static too only with the radio. Since we grounded in different spots I don't know if that's an issue at all. My amp is also class d.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
03Alerosil
GL Member

Did some reading on google and apparently class d amps can mess with radio reception if they are located close to antenna module. Guy said to double check grounds for tightness and if that don't work move the amp. I guess our module Is on the passenger side since I had no issue with amp on driver side.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
03Alerosil
GL Member

I installed a ferrite choke on my RCA and power wire by the amp and the static stopped
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #14
Silver SLP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
Did some reading on google and apparently class d amps can mess with radio reception if they are located close to antenna module. Guy said to double check grounds for tightness and if that don't work move the amp. I guess our module Is on the passenger side since I had no issue with amp on driver side.

Very interesting...I guess I'll try and move my ground over to the left strut mount.

Also, where did you get your ferrite chokes? And how was your amp mounted on the drivers side? Like on the side of the box?

Last edited by Silver SLP : 01-29-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Silver SLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
03Alerosil
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver SLP View Post
Very interesting...I guess I'll try and move my ground over to the left strut mount.

Also, where did you get your ferrite chokes? And how was your amp mounted on the drivers side? Like on the side of the box?

My ground on driver side. Ferrite at RadioShack. My amp is mounted on the side of my box.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
03Alerosil
GL Member

Update. I didn't fix all radio static issue. So looks like amp going back on driver side. Didn't have an issue with it over there
Old 01-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #17
Silver SLP
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
Update. I didn't fix all radio static issue. So looks like amp going back on driver side. Didn't have an issue with it over there

What do you mean? What did you do differently before?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
03Alerosil
GL Member

All I did was have the amp mounted on the driver side of my box.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #19
Silver SLP
GX Member

Have you had your amp on the top of the box before?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
03Alerosil
GL Member

Not this one. Never had an issue with my old ab amp on top of my old box