Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Alerodriver17 is on a distinguished road
Automatic Transmission Replacement

The title is pretty self explanatory, I need to replace my automatic transmission, so that I can have something to drive while the weather improves, and when it does, it will get a F23 Swap. But in the mean time, I need instructions to replace it (preferably with pictures) which I will also refer to when removing the transmission for the swap. I tried to find a repair manual like a Haynes or Chilton, but came up empty. Hope you can help me out with instructions to replace the transmission, Thanks
Alerodriver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Its pretty self explanatory, either drop the subframe and yank out the bottom, or pull engine/trans out the top. If you cant do that on your own (no offense) you will have a hell of a time doing a manual swap.

On a side note. My car is already 6 speed swapped. Save the money/time and buy mine.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Ok. Before I do anything, answer this, I get out of the car and shut the door and some smoke puffs out the sides and out the hood by the windshield. Then it stops. If I floor it, the trans doesn't slip, and if I gently get the car moving from a stop, then drop the hammer, the car shakes very violently from the front end.
Why does it do this?

I know how to change transmissions, but I've only personally done it to one car, and not this one, it was a 2002 Manual Mazda Protege. I just wanted instructions for this car to make the process a bit easier.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Alerodriver17
GX Member

I forgot to add that when moving in reverse, the car emits a obnoxious whining noise
Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to say because ive never had an issue similar. Id have to be there unfortunately
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Alerodriver17
GX Member

I personally say it's the trans, just because of the whine in reverse but I've got people telling me it isn't. And they say the violent shake isn't the trans but just an axle. I'm taking it to a shop today. Hope they can tell me.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

Itcould be an axle. Im not sure though
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Alerodriver17
GX Member

And at one point someone told me tranny fluid was burning??? What's with that? I am going to the shop at 1:30 my time so hopefully I can get it determined what the problem actually is so I can fix it.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #9
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Turns out the trans is slipping, the torque converter is nearly gone, and the tranny is starting to slip. Plus the axles need replaced, I ordered a Haynes manual to make the process go a bit smoother, $330 later and she gets a new tranny. Then when the weather gets better, new pacesetter exhaust, turbo, new rims, custom springs, big brake kit, new cat, headers, all new gaskets (just in case), heat shield around the master cylinder, painted calipers, whole car plasti dip, new bumpers front and back, new front and back end parts, upgraded plugs and wires, new spark coils, new injectors, new bearings all the way around, new sway bar links, control arms, etc, blacked out lights, and of course, that BEAUTIFUL F40 swap.

Can't wait! She's gonna look fantastic and be a BEAST!
Old 01-22-2017, 02:24 AM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

Save your money. Buy my car. Boost it. Profit?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Well what's the fun in that? I graduate soon and I'll have lots of free time, I can get more hours at work to fund it, it's just gonna be lots of fun! Can't wait!
Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerodriver17 View Post
Well what's the fun in that? I graduate soon and I'll have lots of free time, I can get more hours at work to fund it, it's just gonna be lots of fun! Can't wait!

True lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: