Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Vinman
GL Member

Vinman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vinman Send a message via Yahoo to Vinman
another stock stereo question..

does anyone know what kind of crossovers are the stock ones (at least thats what i think they are..they're in the wire that i think goes from the tweeter to the 4x6, its hard to explain i'll put a pic up later). what happened is that i accidently cut the one on the passenger door off, and now..6 months later...the pass. door speaker is pretty much junk( mind you its a brand new pioneer..er 6month old pioneer)...and yes i spliced the wires back together like nothing happened

What would be a good replacement to just do a mild stereo upgrade?..I.E..new 6x9's in back (done) new door speakers(was done, but am re-doing), maybe new tweeters(don't know if i really want to do the cutting just yet), and new h/u...

Are having these "crossovers" really that crucial for a basic stereo?

thanks
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
the stock "crossover" is just a little bass blocker on the wire right by where the wire hook up to the bottom speakers. its not really a crossover. if you are going to get new door speakers and tweeters, buy compnents. they will come with real crossovers for you to use.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Ya, if you don't have the amp, they're just wired in parallel.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
The tweeter and mid are wired in parallel. Its a capacitor, aka 6th order crossover, aka "bass blocker".

You shouldnt have a replacement speaker hooked together with the tweeter anyhow. Especially if its running off the deck not an amp.

So leave the tweets unhooked.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #5
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
The tweeter and mid are wired in parallel. Its a capacitor, aka 6th order crossover, aka "bass blocker".

You shouldnt have a replacement speaker hooked together with the tweeter anyhow. Especially if its running off the deck not an amp.

So leave the tweets unhooked.

According to my factory service manual they are just wired in parallel. So I went ahead and unplugged the tweeter since I have aftermarket door speakers. The factory service manuals schematic doesn't show crossover "bass blocker" piece that I am pretty sure that I have seen.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 05-14-2022 at 06:46 PM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Just had the door panel off and yeah there is definitely what looks like a capacitor in some heat shrink tubing in the wiring.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

Just bypassed it. It's a 3.3 microfarad 50V capacitor.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 06-11-2022 at 05:24 PM.