Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Hectic
GX Member

Hectic is on a distinguished road
Hmmm just realized something

I probably should have put some sealant or foam around the edge of my box...

I got a bad buzzing sound from what I believe is the outer edge of the sub where it screws into the box.

Should I have used something to help make it more secure?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
no one i know of has "sealed" the sub. all it is is screws and your done.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Hectic
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post

It's a pain in the ass cuz I got 2 screws that aren't into the box.

They were right at the edge of the opening and tore through the MDF.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
It's a pain in the ass cuz I got 2 screws that aren't into the box.

They were right at the edge of the opening and tore through the MDF.

well if you pre drilled the holes that would not have happened or got a box that fits the subs. sounds the hole in the box is to big for the sub. what kind of kicker subs do you have. did you build the box your self.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Hectic
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
well if you pre drilled the holes that would not have happened or got a box that fits the subs. sounds the hole in the box is to big for the sub. what kind of kicker subs do you have. did you build the box your self.

I bought the box used from a local shop.

It's a Bassworx Ported Dual 12", with 2x 12" 10C124 (Comps).

It's not too big, it's just a bit finnicky, there is a little bit of play, and too much on one side (yes of a circle) will throw the other side off just enough, I got it fixed.

I then realized the outer plastic ring is loose in one section. I just threw some pieces of foam weatherstripping underneath it and it seems to help a lil.

I didn't get to turn it right up to wear it is normally playing, but it seems to be holding well. Don't quite feel like pissing off the neighbours tonight.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:

It's not too big, it's just a bit finnicky, there is a little bit of play, and too much on one side (yes of a circle) will throw the other side off just enough, I got it fixed.

I then realized the outer plastic ring is loose in one section. I just threw some pieces of foam weatherstripping underneath it and it seems to help a lil.

I didn't get to turn it right up to wear it is normally playing, but it seems to be holding well. Don't quite feel like pissing off the neighbours tonight.

ok glad u fixed it. how is the m3 deaden spray. if you still ave rattles save your money and get second skin deadener best stuff ever. i deadened my whole trunk with it.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Hectic
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
ok glad u fixed it. how is the m3 deaden spray. if you still ave rattles save your money and get second skin deadener best stuff ever. i deadened my whole trunk with it.

My plan was just to use the 3M spray on the trunk lid. Just to help get rid of some of the rattle and get into the cracks where "pad" just wont quite get in. It seemed to have helped a little bit. I'm eventually getting Dynamat /second skin / eDead / whatever I can get my hands on for sound deadening.

Also used a couple self tapping screws going "up" from where the light over the license plate is, right through the little metal lip there into the upper trunk on the inside. It's easier to just go look at where I'm talking about to understand. lol

I'm gonna give the Spray a couple weeks to really cure, read some reviews of those who have used similar products, and it starts to really sound better a month later once it has properly cured.

I'll post up the results tomorrow about how everything turned out, like I said, didn't wanna turn my music up any louder, don't feel like having pissed off neighbours right now.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Quote:
My plan was just to use the 3M spray on the trunk lid. Just to help get rid of some of the rattle and get into the cracks where "pad" just wont quite get in. It seemed to have helped a little bit. I'm eventually getting Dynamat /second skin / eDead / whatever I can get my hands on for sound deadening.

Also used a couple self tapping screws going "up" from where the light over the license plate is, right through the little metal lip there into the upper trunk on the inside. It's easier to just go look at where I'm talking about to understand. lol

I'm gonna give the Spray a couple weeks to really cure, read some reviews of those who have used similar products, and it starts to really sound better a month later once it has properly cured.

I'll post up the results tomorrow about how everything turned out, like I said, didn't wanna turn my music up any louder, don't feel like having pissed off neighbours right now.
ya i used screws and foam.to stop the rattling of the lisense plate brackett. ya it would not be good to piss of the neighbors lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

if i were you i would have just went to lowes and buy some mdf and caulk and make me a good custom box for maybe around 60$ or less. i made one for my old sound system, 2 12 inch kicker cvrs, subs beat really well in that box and it was a sealed box, not ported. and on "I put on for my city" at 2:46 in that song... those subs just beat insanely loud. makes me wish i still had that system....
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

Quote:
if i were you i would have just went to lowes and buy some mdf and caulk and make me a good custom box for maybe around 60$ or less. i made one for my old sound system, 2 12 inch kicker cvrs, subs beat really well in that box and it was a sealed box, not ported. and on "I put on for my city" at 2:46 in that song... those subs just beat insanely loud. makes me wish i still had that system....

yep i have had 4 different systems 2 in this alero and 2 in the black alero and each time i built my own ported box and one system i built an amp rack. i saved a lot of money installing the system by my self.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Hectic
GX Member

Trunk sounds much, MUCH better!!

I didn't open it to hear if the sub was rattling or not.

Figured out one of the other bad rattles is coming from the bumper...

No idea where it would be coming from other than the couple of plastic bolt-looking things on the top of the bumper.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

My fiberglass box was.air tight. They bump so much better in a sealed enclosure.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote